Close

dcastine

Default 1985 Mustang GT 5-speed, one owner, 12,900 original miles, original tires! (MA)

1985 Mustang GT, 302/4v, 5-Spd, mostly original paint (owner removed hood decal at the dealer), original tires, modified exhaust (orig tail pipes), owner's manual, clear title, ZERO RUST, runs and drives great although I would definitely get new tires - these are pretty dangerous being as hard as they are. Asking price is $12,900 obo

Name:  IMG_8313.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  129.5 KBName:  IMG_8315.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  107.7 KBName:  IMG_8320.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  82.8 KBName:  IMG_8321.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  80.3 KBName:  IMG_8324.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  88.0 KB

Thanks
    Dave Castine
    Wakefield, MA
    Last edited by dcastine; 01-31-2014 at 02:44 PM.

Neither here nor there

Hi dcastine,

Per the rules posted at the top of this forum a City and State are required for all ads. Please update the ad within 24hrs or the had will have to be deleted.

Thank you

1. City and State Required for ALL Ads – You have two options: add your City and State in your profile (City and Province for Canada, other countries…we’ll just wing it), or you must put it in the ad itself. You may then delete your location in the ad once the item has sold.

dcastine

More pics...Name:  100_3474.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  138.3 KBName:  20131213_215200.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  363.7 KBName:  20131213_215218.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  359.9 KBName:  20131213_215257.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  322.6 KBName:  20131213_215303.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  410.4 KB

dcastine

more pics...Name:  IMG_8335.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  73.9 KBName:  IMG_8337.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  67.4 KBName:  IMG_8345.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  101.2 KBName:  IMG_8347.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  96.3 KBName:  IMG_8371.JPG
Views: 144
Size:  317.5 KB

dcastine

More pics...

Name:  IMG_8328.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  98.9 KBName:  IMG_8330.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  91.2 KBName:  IMG_8331.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  105.2 KBName:  IMG_8348.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  87.6 KBName:  IMG_8361.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  80.7 KB

What an awesome GT! GLWS
    Brandon

If you ain't first your last!

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

This was that '85 with the improperly painted cowl and sail panels that people were talking about last month. Looking closely, it looks like the entire nose was repainted at some time; it appears lighter than the rest of the car.

Bumpers never match on cars with original paint, they were painted separately.

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Another post earlier this week on door panels said that the GT never had chrome or silver plastic strips separating the top and bottom. The strips are supposed to be a solid color. If you look at the door panel, it has the chrome strip. I believe these were only available on the LX.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by smitty54 View Post
    Another post earlier this week on door panels said that the GT never had chrome or silver plastic strips separating the top and bottom. The strips are supposed to be a solid color. If you look at the door panel, it has the chrome strip. I believe these were only available on the LX.
    Not the case in '85-'86,those are the correct door panels/trim for a GT in '85 and 6.

OMR
    '86 Med.Canyon Red Met.(original paint) T-top,5 speed,3.55 rear,MAF conversion(A9L).MM adj. RLCAs,T/A,Panhard Bar,and adj MMRSB-3,rear T/A springs 375#-440#,MM C/C plates,MM 1.125" dia.swaybar,STB,4pt KMB,FLSFC's,'03 Cobra rack-n-pinion w/ Saginaw pump conversion.Bilstein MM coilover conversion and A-arms,front spring rate:250#.

dcastine

Guys - when I compounded this car, paint came off of every panel with the exception of the hood and the front bumper. Truthfully, all I know is what I was told by the original owner - I put a bunch of work into this car to get it to this level, (rebuild of HVAC, rear gear adjustment, serious cleaning up due to barn storage...ugh). Those who may have actually saw the car in person know what I'm talking about. I'm a stickler when buying cars. I only buy low mile, original cars. If a car has an aftermarket radio - I walk.

Name:  20131220_192140.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  428.0 KB

I'm 54 and have a few low mile Mopars and 50's Cadillacs. I thought I'd like these Fox cars but they aren't for me...

Thanks,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dcastine View Post

Name:  20131220_192140.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  428.0 KB
    I don't think that one is for you either. You should sell it to me.
    I push my fingers into my eyes......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update - 2023 - Looking to buy 81 Mustang, 82/85/86 Mustang GT, and 79 - 86 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars or convertibles - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.

dcastine

LOL - this is my 3rd 67 GTX, it's all original except rubber parts, exhaust, and battery - I drove it from Boston to the Woodward Dream Cruise in Detroit last summer. It needs paint but it photographs well...

It is a very nice car, maybe in the spring it will fetch more money. However, to be honest, there is an unusual amount of surface rust on the underneath and engine bay, that and the long barn storage with mice living in the car are a big detractor. The repainted hood is an issue and the cowl vent would have to be replaced and a new decal put on, new tires needed and the modified exhaust all bring down the value. The replacement headliners look nothing like the originals which takes away from the originality.

The car below was sold on here for $9,000 last year, it had 19,000 miles and was in amazing shape. No repaints, original decal in place etc. That is what a $13,000 under carriage looks like

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/album.ph...chmentid=58573

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/album.ph...chmentid=58571

I believe this car has been on ebay twice recently and at least once before and each time it always settles at $8,000. I've never listed a car on ebay but aren't the listing fees kind of high? IMHO, if the car had none of the above issues and was completely original with decal it would fetch $12,900. I wish you luck with the sale. If I am off base here please chime in guys, I just don't see this as a $13k car.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty54 View Post
    I think we may have created some confusion, we were only talking about 84 GTs there. That's all I've ever owned so I wouldn't comment on the other years.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Is everyone looking at a different car or am I just missing something? This thing looks amazing, it has all the right options and colors, and the miles are crazy low. It looks like a great car to me. Glws!
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

FEP Power Member

More questions than answers for a $12,900 car. Decal missing. Cowl vent cover painted. Sail panels painted. Surface rust everywhere under car and underhood.

dcastine

Price drop - $11k

Dave

It is a nice example of an 85 GT and one with a nice Canyon Red factory color. However, I just have a few questions for the amount of miles claimed:

1) The pic of engine bay, when looking really close and blowing up the pic, for 12k miles, there's an awful lot of grime everywhere and wires exposed out of conduit seem to have a baked look to them, as if there are more miles accrued.

2) The pic of rear hatch interior - the tail light access panel is a different hue of gray than rear 1/4 counter parts. Also the 1/4 panel screw on driver side closest to tail panel, the plastic around it is cracked. Just wondering why would the screws or panels have been tampered with for such low miles.

3) Paint/body -
    A) Is all of the "red" seen on the gray body side molding rub strips and sail panels red pin striping or paint? It is not factory correct either way.

B) The same gray body side molding rub strips & headlight buckets - in your pics, these parts have a very glossy finish to them and one can only assume from the pics they might have all been painted as such (common body shop "error" with restoring Mustangs of this vintage). These parts or areas were never glossy, they had a matte finish from the factory. It is also highly possible that these areas have either been buffed to a shine OR a "Back to Black" type of enhancer product has been used on them for detailing aspects.

C) The picture of the driver side door opening to interior shot - when viewing this pic, there seems to be gray overspray in the A-pillar channel between outer A-pillar gray metal trim and door seal. There should not be any gray overspray in any of those areas.

D) The pic of the taillights - when blowing that pic up, I cannot see the usually definitive Ford and SAE part number usually visible on the lenses. It could be the angle of the picture - however, IF I am correct, then both lenses are or have been replaced.

In no way am I trying to bash the car at all - not the intention. You may be more familiar with older, classic cars but if this GT is simply a 12k mile "survivor", there's definitely some things that Mustang Enthusiasts are picking up on that for such advertised miles, are just not adding up.

It's understandable that people do tweak vehicles to their tastes be it 5k, 12k or 150k owned vehicle such as the painted cowl, the red coloring on moldings/sails, etc., but when an Enthusiast is looking for a survivor, may pay out good money and know what should be correct "as built" if you will, such variances easily stand out. Again, not bashing the car, the same would be applicable to a guy looking for a Classic Vette, Mopar, Buick, Ferrari or what have you "survivor" and are well versed in those specific vehicles regarding factory correct looks/parts.

As far as the comment about the door panels (trim):
    I've owned several 79-86 Mustangs - the 85 and 86 GT door panels were exactly as seen in these pics with the black/chrome trim and perforated upper door panel section. The 84-86 SVO door panels did not have the chrome accent around the black trim.

I think you have an excellent example of a 1985 GT, with desirable ext/int color combo and factory options. The car will sell to the right buyer. The items mentioned above can easily be corrected with minimal effort. You could do this to entice the sale and maximize your sale potential OR this could be a negotiating factor by potential buyer.

Again, very nice GT - back TTT for ya and best of luck with sale.
    Last edited by Cobra Jet; 02-28-2014 at 03:57 AM.
    - Phil
    1994 Cobra Coupe SVT #13 and 2018 Mustang EB Premium w/Perf Pack

The car your making reference to is my old car. I did indeed sell it for $9K, however, at the time I needed the money and did not want to move the car across the country as I was relocating......point is, that was a $12K car that I sold for $9K.....the buyer got an incredible deal. Now I am back in the market and hope to find another one that nice.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWatch View Post
    It is a very nice car, maybe in the spring it will fetch more money. However, to be honest, there is an unusual amount of surface rust on the underneath and engine bay, that and the long barn storage with mice living in the car are a big detractor. The repainted hood is an issue and the cowl vent would have to be replaced and a new decal put on, new tires needed and the modified exhaust all bring down the value. The replacement headliners look nothing like the originals which takes away from the originality.

The car below was sold on here for $9,000 last year, it had 19,000 miles and was in amazing shape. No repaints, original decal in place etc. That is what a $13,000 under carriage looks like

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/album.ph...chmentid=58573

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/album.ph...chmentid=58571

I believe this car has been on ebay twice recently and at least once before and each time it always settles at $8,000. I've never listed a car on ebay but aren't the listing fees kind of high? IMHO, if the car had none of the above issues and was completely original with decal it would fetch $12,900. I wish you luck with the sale. If I am off base here please chime in guys, I just don't see this as a $13k car.

dcastine

SOLD to a Fox Body collector in NH