Close

FEP Senior Member

Default 1994 SN95 part swapping

Question for all the tech experts: I found a 94 sn95 vert that had a frontal crash but the engine looks fine (radiator is toast), the car only has 67k kilometers (around 40k) original. Its getting into my head to swap all the internals to my 1981, but want to understand what can I use and what kind of work it entails.

This is what I do know: the 5.0 302 engine is of course a direct swap, I´d be getting a roller engine with EFI instead of my very old but just rebuilt original 81 5.0 (its a mexican car).

Transmission. I got a freshly rebuilt C4, I don´t know if the sn95 trans can be installed into the fox?

Rear End: Would love to swap my rear end for the 8.8 posi trac one including disc brakes and the 5 lug conversion. All the front brake system as well.

Fuel tank with the EFI fuel pump. Can this be swapped?

Front seats. I know they can be swapped.

What else can I use from the SN95? What do I need to ensure my gauges will work with a EFI engine?

I don´t want to change anything on the exterior of the car and neither the interior, save for the front seats.

Is the SN95 automatic or manual? If it is a manual, it is from what I understand about 3/4" longer due to the input shaft and bellhousing. Sounds like you have everything for the brake and rear axle swap which I would definitely do.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Just remember the sn95 rear axles are wider. To keep it fox length you need ranger axles and north racecar brake caliper mounting brackets or you can modify the factory bracket.. i can assist you on that if you decide you want to keep the rear end factory fox width
    "Foxbody Enthusiast"

FEP Senior Member

Thank you for the answers, the donor car is an automatic

You'd be gaining overdrive so I'd swap the whole drivetrain. If you didn't want to mess with the fuel injection, you could swap all the carbed stuff over.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

The sn has an aode so unless you use all the correct electonics it wont shift and if you do its a pos anyways keepbyour c4

trololo

Oops, forgot about that little tidbit.

FEP Power Member black1980fiveoh's Avatar

You will need camber/caster plates or swap the K member over.
    1980 Cobra http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2364382
    11.82@115 mph - 2015 - retired due to cancer
    1981 Cobra
    reborn with a lot of new go fast parts and time to make it look pretty
    11.80 @114 mph - 2016

Quote Originally Posted by black1980fiveoh View Post
    You will need camber/caster plates or swap the K member over.
    Probably not if you just use the spindles, but they're a good idea on any Mustang anyway.

If the car has been hit in the front, I would recommend double checking all the front suspension parts and engine parts before using. It's easy for damage to hidden or unseen until the parts are reinstalled on the Fox. The 94/95 spindles are an excellent addition to a Fox to improve the front suspension and braking. I would recommend a complete 5 lug swap at both ends if possible as that will give you the best bang for the buck. The entire front brakes, spindles, and struts will swap to your Fox. A quality set of Maximum Motorsports CC plates would be a smart addition too. You can also use the Master cylinder, the entire rear axle assembly, the rear shocks, and the rear brakes. You might also consider the wheels and tires as that will provide you an inexpensive set to get you rolling. You will need the FRPP style emergency brake cables for the rear calipers and you can get those from LMR.

As for the drivetrain, you can swap all of it over if you want, but you will need to keep the EFI if you want run the AODE, otherwise you would need an aftermarket PCM to run the transmission with a carburetor. The fuel tank might be worth trying to swap IMHO, but the fuel sending unit is different and will not work with the stock fuel gauge, so you will need to swap the original sending unit over. Also make sure you get the entire EFI wiring harness to make the swap if you go that direction.

The seats as you stated will fit the Fox, but not much else is a bolt in, although many have done the full interior swap if you are that ambitious.

Best of Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I'm surprised no one said it before Trey, but the wiring harness will be 100% necessary. I'd definitely do the 5-lug swap all around and get the wheels off of it. Unless they're bent/damaged. if there's anything damaged in the front end, that will be more obvious than the drivetrain. And is the donor car going anywhere? You can swap things and make the necessary corrections as you go. Is there anything fundamentally different with the Mexican Fox's? Maybe they're a bit shorter.... just kidding.
    Good luck

Rick

swapping the dash in will be made much easier by swapping over the whole car's wire harness from the SN95.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

FEP Senior Member

Thanks all, great responses as usual! I scheduled a visit to check the car this weekend, I´ll take a mechanic with me to help me assess the damage, which unfortunately did hit the left front suspension as well as the front end.

The 95 is a very low mileage car for its age, it only has 63k (kilometers), and was a weekend car, still kept by its original owner.

I´m not interested in swapping any "exterior" or interior parts, as I´d like to keep my 81 looking original. The seats would be the only thing I´d consider just because the newer seats of the 95 are much more comfortable than our tired original seats.

So if I swap all engine internals (including engine, transmission, wire harnesses, computer, fuel tank) is it possible to get everything to work with my original 81 gauges?

Brakes are the most important part for me so far... I like how my car currently drives and handles, but the brakes are the one thing that stop me from wanting to drive it more often.

The car will stay original four eye inside and out definitely.

To make the sn95 tank work with your 81s fuel gauge, you will need a fuel sender from an 83-86 cfi/efi car.
    http://www.foxresto.com/SVO-GT-Turbo...-p/4883010.htm
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4