Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Good to see work proceeding! What in the world is all that crud on the side of the car?!
    haha, it's crap growing on it from it sitting under trees for 10 years. It even had/has moss growing in the window sills.

Not to worry, it will all be getting cleaned out!

Sorry for not updating. The last update was the work that we did just on Friday night. The following is what was done on Saturday and Sunday.

aaaaaaand I think that's it? We couldn't set the car down on the Alumastars because stupid me forgot to order the lug nuts for it, so currently it's sitting on white '99 GT wheels. When we first sat it on the ground, it was SLAMMED. :lol1: It looked really cool, but it definitely wasn't a liveable ride height.

I still need to rob the Strange 10-way's off of my GT to put on the wagon (I have some Bilstein's to go on it) but haven't had time to tear it apart. So for now, the front has the same struts that I took off of my donor coupe, and some Lakewood 50/50's that I had laying around on the rear.

- k-member in
    - motor in
    - battery box mounted
    - rear shocks in
    - pulled the front fender liners out
    - new hatch struts
    - new hatch glass strut
    - new headlights
    - brake lines all plumbed
    - test fit the intake and carb to make sure it cleared the hood (it does)
    - loaded all of the crap we don't need onto a utility trailer to take to the scrap yard
    - oh and of course we had to test fit the alumastars just one more time
    - Tranny in
    - Tranny cooler mounted and lines ran
    - Radiator in and hoses mounted
    - Front fuel cell mounted
    - Front and rear fuel pumps mounted. Rear also wired
    - Fuel system all plumbed in with exception to the lines for the front fuel cell
    - Intake and Carb mounted
    - Swapped the GT rear springs back for the stock springs
    - Adjusted the coilovers to set the ride height
    - Positive and Negative battery cables ran from the battery box
    - Starter installed
    - Rear fuse box mounted

Also! My buddy polished a little patch on the rear of the car. I think the car is going to end up cleaning up really well!!!!!

Last edited by 5.SLO; 04-22-2016 at 08:55 AM.

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

That last picture is pretty amazing! All the growth has been protecting the paint underneath!

I LOVE me some brown paint!

Quote Originally Posted by 5.SLO View Post
    Also! My buddy polished a little patch on the rear of the car. I think the car is going to end up cleaning up really well!!!!!

When I first started reading this thread, my first thought was that you had a diamond in the rough.

I think all will be surprised at how good it looks when you are done with it. Add me to the "I love brown cars" club, too.
    13 Dodge Dart
    09 Shadow Sabre
    08 Caliber
    05 Aztek
    02 Avalanche
    02 Thunderbird
    01 Cadillac ETC
    98 Explorer
    96 Suzuki X-90
    89 Fleetwood
    89 Continental
    88 Town Car
    86 Silverado
    84 Fiero
    83 Town Car
    82 LN7
    82 EXP
    80 Mustang
    65 Continental
    62 Galaxie 500
    54 Packard

Stock never goes out of style.

Very cool project...........+1 for the "doo doo" color club
    Tony Defeo was a god.....if you've never heard of him you're new school......

Wow..looks great! keep the updates coming!
    1980 Futura 5.0 5spd ...sold
    1984 Ltd Wagon 3.8 Daily Driver Summer
    1985 Marquis Villager Wagon 5.0 5spd in Progress
    2000 Focus Wagon..Daily Driver Winter

Thanks everyone! I had planned making the trip from my home in Atlanta, up to Greensboro NC to work on the car all weekend. However, since they had a big ice storm up there yesterday/today, it looks like the trip would be useless. My families shop up there is without power and there are power lines down all over the place.

One of my buddies sumped the new gas tank for me this week. The plan was to install the new tank, hook the column shifter up to the C4, install header gaskets, weld the exhaust into place, weld in the subframe connectors, weld/bolt in the torque box reinforcements, weld in the anti roll bar, and fire that mother up!

However, without power, I have no lights, no welder, no lift, etc. Sooooooo I guess I'll stay in Atlanta this weekend. With the car 5 hours away, it really makes it tough to make progress, but I hope to find another free weekend soon!

Really slick project.

Well, this past weekend I went up to North Carolina to work on the wagon. Got quite a few things done. Unfortunately, I only took one picture the entire weekend.

My buddy Danielwelded the sump into the stock tank for me so on Friday night the tank was hung, and main fuel system was finished up

Seems like the stuff this weekend was very time consuming. All in all, I think BJ (the guy that's playing a HUGE part in getting this thing put together) and I are happy with the progress.

Saturday----
    - UPR caster/camber plates installed
    - tightened up all the nuts and bolts under the car. Previously, everything was kind of in a mock-up stage.
    - Pulled the motor mounts out and ground off the little nubs on the backside that are used when installing in a stock k-member
    - Fought with the multi-piece headers for the bolt holes to line up--- got them 100% bolted up
    - Cut up a triple gauge pod intended for an '87-'93 fox so that it will fit for the wagon and mounted gauges in the pod
    - Wired fuel pump the come on when key is on

Sunday----
    - Sourced a water pump pulley and crank pulley from local pull-a-part and installed them
    - Set timing, revved, and smiled

LOL, that beautiful noise from a brown wagon. I love it. Too bad they are all rotted out around here.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang-junky View Post
    LOL, that beautiful noise from a brown wagon. I love it. Too bad they are all rotted out around here.

Jess
    Thanks!! My buddy and I could not stop laughing at how the car sounded. We kept saying over and over "THAT sound should NOT be coming from THAT car" hahaha

We are putting the car together at my now deceased grandfathers old shop. My 80 year old grandmother walked down to the shop when we cranked it up and after she heard it, I asked if when we're done, if she would like to drive the car again, for old times sake. She responded "um... I think I'll skip out on that" hahahahaha

WILL YOU WASH THAT THING ALREADY??!!!

Sounds great, by the way.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    WILL YOU WASH THAT THING ALREADY??!!!

Sounds great, by the way.
    Don't get your panties in a bunch. You haven't even seen the mold growing on the door panels yet. One of my best friends passions is detailing cars. He has asked that I not wash the car and bring it to him as-is. As soon as the car is done, wants to detail the entire car, inside and out.... aaaaand he's doing it for free. So I'm leaving it dirty for now.

Thanks for the comment on the sound. It sounds much better in person!

That brown beast sounds SEXY!
    1985 Mercury Marquis LTS... "The Unicorn"
    1978 Fairmont... 306 and a C4.

I joined back then but never really looked through the site. However, I'm liking what I'm seeing now!

It's hard to do any type of solid update because I live in Atlanta and the car, and all the parts are in North Carolina. However, going to go to NC Feb 15th-23rd to work on the car. My buddy BJ and I will be thrashing on it every day. I should be able to provide a lot of updates in that week.

Does anyone know of an a-pillar gauge pod that will fit nicely on these cars? I was thinking that maybe one from say, an '85-'86 Mustang would work, but I'm not sure? I'm specifically wanting one that holds three gauges so that I can put my water temp, trans temp, and oil pressure gauges in there.

Thanks!
    the mustang a piller pods are different. LTDScott and I (each did our own thing) put our own version of Gauge pods in where the ash tray use to be.

Here is mine. I made it from Aluminum plate and aluminum round tube and a lathe. Then Painted it.

I'll take a better pic later then post it.

1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

Hello everyone! Sorry for not updating this thread, but it's been a hectic few months. In the past 2 and a half months got another job within my company in Nashville, moved from Atlanta into an apartment in Nashville, got engaged, then my fiance and I bought a house here in Nashville and I moved into the house to do some updates while she closes out stuff in Atlanta. Sooooooooo to say the least, I've been busy.

Anyway, I had my buddy BJ tie off a few loose ends to get the car finished so that I can bring it to Mustang Week. I know it's not a Mustang, but I've brought my '92 fox every year so I wanted to bring something different this year. BJ got the column shift hooked up to work with the reverse manual valve body C4, and it the shifter works AWESOME! The downside is that my C4, which was supposed to be ready to race, is not quite so ready... it slips going into 2nd gear and has a bad flair going into 3rd, and either the convertor seal or pump seal is leaking a bit. When you get on it, and it builds pressure, it will drip a little, directly onto the exhaust. (think smoke machine)

The car is currently at my buddy Brents house, being detailed. This weekend, I'm picking up the car, trailer, and Brent. Then driving to my buddy BJ's house to throw the wagon up on the lift, pull the tranny out, replace the 2nd gear band, pump seal, and converter seal, throw everything back together and then head to Mustang Week Monday morning.

The Alumastars aren't on in any of the pics, but they'll be going on this weekend, and I'm actually getting the windows tinted while at the beach. Going to do the front drivers window, front passenger window, and a windshield strip in 20% and then doing all of the other windows in 5% tint.

Anyway, here are some pics I got sent after he had buffed the hood and passenger side of the car. I'm sure that it doesn't look as great in person, but it's looking a ton better than it did before! Hope you guys like it!

Hope you guys like it!
    Yes......Yes we do
    Dan

1985 Lincoln Continental. T-5, Bullit wheels, Mustang springs and Hybrid Lincoln/Mustang control arms, 8.8 w 3.27s, Cobra swaybar, adjustable struts and shocks....

Mmmm mmmm! Another v8 fox wagon is out there before me. Very envious of you! Great job1! I can only hope that my paint cleans up as well as yours did.

Looks great!!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Lookin good.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Thanks guys!

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Pretty amazing transformation!

Hope you guys like it!
    Well, duh! Damn straight we like it!
    1985 Mercury Marquis LTS... "The Unicorn"
    1978 Fairmont... 306 and a C4.

Awesome! You've put that together very nicely!

Uhm, do you still have that fuel tank shield? Please send me a PM. All the ones I get from the wrecking yards here have a hole torn in them for when they punch a hole in the fuel tank and drain 'em.

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

FEP Senior Member

nice.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast