Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default 1985 Mercury Marquis Wagon Project "Brown Frown"

Hello all! New guy here. I'm just about to start on my '85 Marquis Wagon project.

The car was originally my grandmothers car, then my grandfather drove it, and then it was parked. It's sat for almost 10 years but now I've decided to resurrect it.

The plan is to make it a fun street/strip car.

The setup is as follows:

- 306sbf, callies crank, speed pro pistons, scat rods, lunati cam, pro comp heads with alve Angle 2'deg, Comp Valve Springs 2'02' / 1.60', Intake Volume 190cc, Chamber Volume 62'cc scorpion 1.6 rr Edelbrock Vic. Jr intake, and 650cfm Demon carb

- Reverse manual valve body C4 with 3,200 stall, Alto Red Eagle clutches, kevlar bands, and billet servo

- Hooker super comp headers, with 3" 1-chamber flows

- Strange 10 ways on all 4 corners

- 17x4.5 Alumastars up front and 17x9.25 Alumastars for the street. Swap to 15x10 Alumastars for the track.

- 373 geared 8.8 with disc brakes out back

- D&D tubular K member and tubular a-arms with coil overs

- stock Mustang GT rear springs

- NOS Big Shot kit

Here it is in it's current glory and my pile of parts!

I have all of the fuel system parts purchased but not sure what to do about the fuel tank. The stock one is kinda offset to the right and ribbed... My plan is to have a sumped tank as I'm not wanting to put a fuel cell in the back. I still gotta haul stuff, right? I guess I could cut out the spare tire well, weld a flat piece of metal over the hole, and then I could mount a Mustang tank, but I'd like to avoid that, if possible.

Any suggestions or tips???

Thanks for looking!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by 5.SLO; 04-22-2016 at 08:44 AM.

I'm using a stock tank from an '85 marquis wagon. I don't see why you couldn't use yours. Looking forward to seeing this project progress! I love wagons.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Looks like a cool project..
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

Welcome Dylan,great project
    Robert
    86 GT vert
    85 GT

Nice! cant wait to se it all cleaned up!
    Looking for a Fox wagon

Awesome. I will be following this.

Thanks guys! I'm still up in the air on whether I want to wash it or not. Part of me wants to drive it filthy. But another part of me wants to see how much that paint will come back with a little elbow grease.

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    I'm using a stock tank from an '85 marquis wagon. I don't see why you couldn't use yours. Looking forward to seeing this project progress! I love wagons.
    Did you sump yours? If so, could you shoot me some pics? I'd like to make it work! Thanks ahead of time!

I'd leave it gross looking and do all the upgrades. Surprise a couple of people get a few laughs then wash her.

I love those pointy wagons. I vote to keep it dirty, patina is the new shiny lol
    81 Fairmont wagon,528 on E-85,just a brutal street car

patina is one thing, thats just dirt and tree sap. wash it!
    Looking for a Fox wagon

^^^^ what he said ^^^^

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    I'd leave it gross looking and do all the upgrades. Surprise a couple of people get a few laughs then wash her.
    I like that idea!

It states your join date is 2011. Did you sign up then and just come back? Anyways, welcome to the site and good luck with the install!
    Last edited by 82GTforME; 01-21-2014 at 11:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

FEP Senior Member quarterstang86's Avatar

The best thing to me is your keeping a car from the family around! What a save and a cool project.
    - Richard

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    I like that idea!

It states your join date is 2011. Did you sign up then and just come back? Anyways, welcome to the site and good luck with the install!
    I joined back then but never really looked through the site. However, I'm liking what I'm seeing now!

It's hard to do any type of solid update because I live in Atlanta and the car, and all the parts are in North Carolina. However, going to go to NC Feb 15th-23rd to work on the car. My buddy BJ and I will be thrashing on it every day. I should be able to provide a lot of updates in that week.

Does anyone know of an a-pillar gauge pod that will fit nicely on these cars? I was thinking that maybe one from say, an '85-'86 Mustang would work, but I'm not sure? I'm specifically wanting one that holds three gauges so that I can put my water temp, trans temp, and oil pressure gauges in there.

Thanks!

I'd get some five lug station wagon steel wheels and run a set of wires on that thing on the street. What part of NC are you going to be working on it in?
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I'd get some five lug station wagon steel wheels and run a set of wires on that thing on the street. What part of NC are you going to be working on it in?
    Naaaaaaaah, I think I'll stick with the Alumastars lol. With 3" exhaust, 1-chamber flows, and dumps it's not going to be much of a sleeper anyways

I keep the wagon and my Mustang at my families shop near Greensboro.

Team Z anti-roll bar, FMS Cobra diff, and Maximum Motorsports 1/2" k-member spacers ordered!

I'm hoping that with the spacers and Mustang vert motor mounts, it lowers the motor enough to clear under the stock hood!

Love seeing another alternate fox body. Especially a wagon like my own. Good luck with your project! It looks awesome and has sentimental value! Keep us posted! Why the k-member spacers? 351?

Quote Originally Posted by nelzfoxes View Post
    Love seeing another alternate fox body. Especially a wagon like my own. Good luck with your project! It looks awesome and has sentimental value! Keep us posted! Why the k-member spacers? 351?
    Thanks!

I ordered K-member spacers because I have a feeling that the Vic Jr. intake and carb will be too tall to clear the stock hood. I guess it's more of a precaution than anything. I'm just goiong to slap them in while putting the K-member in to hopefully avoid an "oh ****" moment when trying to shut the hood. haha

styling wire wheel discs

Well the tear down today went great! I drove up from Atlanta to Greensboro today. Had to use my buddy's Jeep to pull the car out of the snow and then pull the back end of the car around so we could push it into the shop.

We pulled the rear end out first. Then, pulled the motor, trans, and K-member out all at once. Unbolted everything and then just lifted the car up with the lift and let it all fall out.

We also got the 5-lug rear hung in the car with the tubular upper and lower control arms.

Only had a couple snags... 1) The factory gas tank has rust in it... so I'm either gonna have to source another tank or have that one boiled. 2) I was planning on using stock Mustang GT rear springs but after lowering the car down so the rear sat on jack stands, it looks like it's gonna be SLAMMED :lol1:

By the end of the night, we had done all we could do for the day so we got bored and started cleaning the windows on the car and I cleaned some of the gunk off of the rear hatch just to see how well it's going to clean up.

Aaaaaaaanyway, here's some progress pics. Please excuse my family's messy shop... it drives me NUTS.

Last edited by 5.SLO; 04-22-2016 at 08:49 AM.

i love wagon build threads!

Good to see work proceeding! What in the world is all that crud on the side of the car?!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

[QUOTE=5.SLO;1624223]Well the tear down today went great! I drove up from Atlanta to Greensboro today. Had to use my buddy's Jeep to pull the car out of the snow and then pull the back end of the car around so we could push it into the shop.

We pulled the rear end out first. Then, pulled the motor, trans, and K-member out all at once. Unbolted everything and then just lifted the car up with the lift and let it all fall out.

We also got the 5-lug rear hung in the car with the tubular upper and lower control arms.

Only had a couple snags... 1) The factory gas tank has rust in it... so I'm either gonna have to source another tank or have that one boiled. 2) I was planning on using stock Mustang GT rear springs but after lowering the car down so the rear sat on jack stands, it looks like it's gonna be SLAMMED :lol1:

By the end of the night, we had done all we could do for the day so we got bored and started cleaning the windows on the car and I cleaned some of the gunk off of the rear hatch just to see how well it's going to clean up.

Aaaaaaaanyway, here's some progress pics. Please excuse my family's messy shop... it drives me NUTS.

I am getting déjà vu! Nice work!

I wanna see it on the ground with the wheels :d

muy chingon con el g2

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast