Close

Default Suddenly Hard 1st to 2nd gear T5 Shifting

Driving My GT the other day shifting into 2nd gear became very stiff, no grinding or rattling just incredibly stiff & just as difficult to get back into 1st also very stiff to get it into neutral. The car runs fine & the trans pulls fine. sitting in the driveway with the car off once you can get it to neutral (it almost takes two hands) shifting from 3rd & ups seems fine & also reverse. the car has been running great & I have several thousand miles on a new clutch set, flywheel & clutch cable. so there's no issues there. literally from one stop light to the next it went & I wasn't flogging it, just normal driving. I pulled the shifter out in hopes it was binding somehow but it moves as it should. Any ideas of what could have gone wrong? thanks
    1985 GT Vert 5 Speed "Black B!#ch"
    2000 V6 Stang 5 Speed-Sold
    1994 Ford Bronco 5.8-Sold
    2004 Nissan Xterra Off Road- Sold
    2012 Mustang V6 6sp for the wife
    2008 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Make sure the clutch is releasing all the way. What are you using for a cable and quadrant? Might've stretched a little.

Make sure the transmission is not filled with gear oil, that'll make them hard to shift when they're cold.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Check to see if it's stiff with the engine not running. You may have fractured the 1-2 synchronizer hub.
    Unfortunately, that hub is considered part of the mainshaft. Been there, broke that...
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post
    Make sure the transmission is not filled with gear oil, that'll make them hard to shift when they're cold.
    +1

I live in PA, and in my old '90 GT I had similar issues (when the weather got cold), come to find out previous owner swapped out the fluid with gear oil. I canged it back and it took care of the problem.

Best of luck,
    -Chris

I also agree with checking the fluid, I use Mobil 1 ATF ( around 8 dollar a quart ).
    Always Stay Humble. -Sinister-

It is just as stiff to shift with the engine off, once you find neutral the rest of the gears are fine but 1st & 2nd are extremely stiff. I checked the fluid (hoping it was low or something simple) its full with the correct ATF fluid in it. I guess I'll have to drop it & see whats up, but that'll have to wait till spring. since its down for a good while I may just blow it apart & do a mini resto on the interior & other nagging things.
    1985 GT Vert 5 Speed "Black B!#ch"
    2000 V6 Stang 5 Speed-Sold
    1994 Ford Bronco 5.8-Sold
    2004 Nissan Xterra Off Road- Sold
    2012 Mustang V6 6sp for the wife
    2008 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Broken jammed shift keys and broken shift fork could be an issue, since it's doing it with engine off, problem is trans

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip