Close

Default Unsure about a car

Hey everyone,

Always been a mustang fan and absolutely loved the bubble back capris but never found the right deal at the right time. I found an ad for a 1986 Mercury Capri Turbo. I have done a bit of searching and have not been able to find any info on 86 Capri turbos? From what I've read there wasn't a turbo after the model year '84. Did Canada get a turbo capri in '86 or is this guy false advertising? He mentions that they are rare so I would assume its not a simple swap claiming to be a rare model but you never really know with people. Any help would be appreciated, the guy is asking $1800 and the body seems to be in good shape from the pics.

Thanks for the help

,David

I think that this is reliable info:
    By 1986, the Capri lineup had been reduced to two basic trim levels: the GS, still available with either a (non-turbocharged) four-cylinder or V-6, and the 5.0L, which benefited from a standard five-speed manual transmission, Traction-Lok differential and heavy-duty suspension.
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

There was no turbo engine available in the Capri in the 1985 and 1986 model years.

Capri turbo = 1979-84 (Canada only late 1981-82)
    Mustang turbo = 1979-86 (Canada only late 1981-1982)
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thank you for the replies. With any luck he is mistaken about the year.

Thumbs up

Even if he is mistaken a clean Capri no matter what motor at this point is probably worth $1800 bucks if it is a no rust car. My advice would be to suck it up. They are getting harder and harder to find.

Get the VIN number and post it here, that will tell you in a hurry. If it is an 86 and has a turbo engine in it, it may cost a fortune to straighten out someone else's hacked together mess as a lot of conversions turn out to be.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

If the car is clean for $1800 you can't go wrong. Then you can do whatever you want mechanically to it. IMO a clean rust free body and/or paint is worth way more than mechanicals. The mechanicals are the easy part of the car to repair/restore.

Quote Originally Posted by SnakePlisskin View Post
    If the car is clean for $1800 you can't go wrong. Then you can do whatever you want mechanically to it. IMO a clean rust free body and/or paint is worth way more than mechanicals. The mechanicals are the easy part of the car to repair/restore.
    I agree, all and most old car rust, that mother nature.
    Always Stay Humble. -Sinister-

I also searched about the car , the info is reliable and the car is worth $1800. Even if I could get the same car from any salvage reseller I would purchase it after checking it thoroughly. classic cars for sale
    Last edited by cabreradavies; 01-23-2014 at 06:14 AM.