Close

Default Rear window louvers

My friend has some for 30 bucks but he says there supposed to be taped on and i just dont believe that. So how do you install metal louvers?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Different louvers installed differently. I have a set of "Kobel" metal louvers on my 85. There are two mounting tabs that slide under the window trim along each side at the bottom. On each of these mounting plates is a male tab that connects to a female mounting hole on the lovers. Like a "Duzus" fastener, if you're familiar with those. There is another mounting plate that slides under the window trim along the top. On this mounting tab is a piano hinge that allows you to lift up on the louvers (once the lower mounting tabs have been released) so you clean the window. Under each of the mounting tabs is double sided tape which hold the plates in place and helps cushion the mounting plate against the glass.

So your friends statement that the lovers are "taped on" might be partially accurate.
    Last edited by tbirdman; 12-25-2013 at 11:42 PM.
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

Lol i think they are supposed to be like yours but missing the mounts so is it worth it?

I think 82GTFORME has tape ons. Maybe send him a pm?

My '80 Capri RS has factory louvers, the top is hinged and screwed down with sheet metal screws. The bottom has rubber pads and just kind of sits there.
    1980 Capri RS

Quote Originally Posted by 80 Capri View Post
    My '80 Capri RS has factory louvers, the top is hinged and screwed down with sheet metal screws. The bottom has rubber pads and just kind of sits there.
    I repainted a set similar to the type you are talking about with the hinge at top and bumpers on bottom. They didn't screw into roof though. The hinge is between a flat tab of metal and the louvers and the tab is meant to be taped with heavy duty 3m double sided tape to the rear glass. We too were skeptical when installing them and ended up using an epoxy to glue them to the window. They stayed just fine and the car was parked outside year round. I know some people that have used the tape to hold them on Camaro's (lighter weight louvers compared to fox louvers) and it has worked, just keep an eye on the tape condition if it's out in the hot sun a lot. Having a clean surface to adhere the tape to is key when installing. $30 seems cheap for a set. I haven't found a used set for under $100 in years and all of them even were in need of a repaint.
    '03 Explorer Limited
    '85 LX
    '85 Twister II
    '89 LX
    '98 v6
    '77 Mach 1.....and I still own them all.

Well. This is texas so ill try lok

FEP Senior Member

These are what the fasteners look like on a set I owned at one time.Do these look like they may work?I had 2 sets of hardware at one point,will look if interested.
    Name:  01212_ermW99AAOM4_600x450.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  40.2 KB

OMR
    '86 Med.Canyon Red Met.(original paint) T-top,5 speed,3.55 rear,MAF conversion(A9L).MM adj. RLCAs,T/A,Panhard Bar,and adj MMRSB-3,rear T/A springs 375#-440#,MM C/C plates,MM 1.125" dia.swaybar,STB,4pt KMB,FLSFC's,'03 Cobra rack-n-pinion w/ Saginaw pump conversion.Bilstein MM coilover conversion and A-arms,front spring rate:250#.

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Mohacsy View Post
    I think 82GTFORME has tape ons. Maybe send him a pm?
    The set I currently have on I actually used some "industrial" 2" wide, adhesive backed Velcro at the top and the bottoms. It has never given me ANY problems over the years I have had them on. I just check them occasionally to make sure they are on good. This has worked good as they come off very easy for cleaning etc.

Name:  IMG_0377.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  85.1 KB

Here is a picture from the instructions for installing this stick on type.

Name:  IMG_4162.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  102.7 KB

I actually saw a Kijiji ad last summer for a used set of these except they didn't have the hinges or the mounting hardware anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by OldManRiver View Post
    These are what the fasteners look like on a set I owned at one time.Do these look like they may work?I had 2 sets of hardware at one point,will look if interested.
    Name:  01212_ermW99AAOM4_600x450.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  40.2 KB
    OMR
    I'm sure I could improvise and use those on my type.

Looks like it not sure

wow very tempting to get one of these
    Always Stay Humble. -Sinister-

86Bandit

Quote Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
    Different louvers installed differently. I have a set of "Kobel" metal louvers on my 85. There are two mounting tabs that slide under the window trim along each side at the bottom. On each of these mounting plates is a male tab that connects to a female mounting hole on the lovers. Like a "Duzus" fastener, if you're familiar with those. There is another mounting plate that slides under the window trim along the top. On this mounting tab is a piano hinge that allows you to lift up on the louvers (once the lower mounting tabs have been released) so you clean the window. Under each of the mounting tabs is double sided tape which hold the plates in place and helps cushion the mounting plate against the glass.

So your friends statement that the lovers are "taped on" might be partially accurate.
    I had set on an 85 back in the day just like what you describe. The only issue I had with them is that they rattled a bit on occasion but I still wish I could find another set today.

havnt installed mine but they seem to have a trim piece that is double sided taped on to the window and the louver bolts to that

I love the look of louvers, I would just we weary about the stick-on type. I had a set of factory 12 slat louvers but I had to get rid of them because they wouldn't work on my 86.

I do run a set of headlight louvers that I think look pretty cool...

Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear86 View Post
    I love the look of louvers, I would just we weary about the stick-on type. I had a set of factory 12 slat louvers but I had to get rid of them because they wouldn't work on my 86.

As I said in my reply Mike, I've never had anything close to ever happening. Knock on wood.

Nice headlight louvers!

Those are pretty cool

trololo

Quote Originally Posted by ttop86 View Post
    havnt installed mine but they seem to have a trim piece that is double sided taped on to the window and the louver bolts to that
    dam it, the more I look at it, the more I want it

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    As I said in my reply Mike, I've never had anything close to ever happening. Knock on wood.

Nice headlight louvers!
    Many people have the stick on type and I've never heard of anyone having to collect their louvers from the side of the road, so they must work fine. They certainly do look great on your 82, that much is for sure. Thanks for the headlight louvers complement, they actually attach with the same kind of hook and loop Velcro material...and I never had an issue with them either. They do have safety wires that go through the headlight bucket and attach to the hood bumpers for a little extra security.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

86Bandit

[QUOTE=TopGear86;1611814]I love the look of louvers, I would just we weary about the stick-on type. I had a set of factory 12 slat louvers but I had to get rid of them because they wouldn't work on my 86.

I wouldnt worry about the tape too much. Just for illustration the same tape holds on alot of the molding on your car and its still there.

this my twin

I wish I know where this person get his
    Last edited by Sinister; 01-06-2014 at 06:26 PM.

Where can I get a pair of headlight louvers for my 82 gt

Default Headlight louvers for a 82 GT

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post

Nice headlight louvers!
    Where can i get a pair of those headlight louvers