Close

Default dipstick problem

Greetings, all:

I seem to have broken the dipstick tube on my 82GT. I'll need a replacement, yet they are hard to track down. Will a newer tube work on the 82? I might do better price-wise buying one for the later 80s cars but if it doesn't bolt up nice it wouldn't be worth it.

The tube is off the car but there seems to be a small portion pressed into the block. I don't think it is damaged but it is hard to see. The end of the tube that connects looks fine but they do not match up at all.

Suggestions for a fix? I might be able to remove the small piece still installed and put them back together but it may be a few days.

Thanks.

Blog Entries

I used the one from my 83 in a 96 Mountaineer motor. It worked fine until I broke it off in the block while removing the header. I have not found a simple fix to remove the piece in the block, either.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Yikes. I'd think you'd be able to get it out with some sort of J-hook. Mine is flopping free. I've been meaning to make a new bracket which fits with my headers...
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

I used brake line tubing of the same dia so the stick seals correctly.
    Then measured the broken tube length, cut, bend.
    The stick reads right. Best to do this when you know the pan is full, not a quart low.

Now is the time to upgrade. Modify tube length in order for the new stick to read full.
    I like my 2.3 Ranger's T style end, but is too late now to do a change over.

The stub came out with an easy out or something- been a while.
    The broken end also had a flared 'stop' so it would insert only so far into the block.
    So i marked the new tube with this measurement. Sealed with a little red RTV.

Made a new bracket too. Does not have to be tack welded to tube, just tight.
    Has lasted longer than the factory one did.

I used a paint can opener to get the broken piece out of the block. I just soaked it with penetrant oil, then stuck the paint can opener down in there and yanked on it a few times and it popped right out.

As far as making a new tube, I did the same thing as gr79.... brake line of the same diameter. Made up a bracket and brazed it on.
    '86 Capri 5.0, black with charcoal interior, 5 spd, fully restored, mildly modded.

'86 Capri 5.0, white with black interior, C4, rotisserie restored, heavily modded.

And painted the tube of course.

Now to figure out a way to make the tube opening more visible in low light.
    Kind of hard to find that tube sometimes in anything but well lighted conditions.
    Need to paint a rubber grommet yellow or something and slide it to the end of the tube.

I got bbk shorty headers on my car. So all I did with mine is filed down where it bolts up to the header bolt and put a washer on it. Guess what I'm getting at is you could probably get a ford racing one and cut the mount up so it works. Not sure if they are available in the j style.