Close

Thread: 5.8 in Capri

Default 5.8 in Capri

Seeing the thread about the built 351 Got me thinking about my old vert with the 351. I wanted to go EFI with it but it never happened. Now I'm thinking I may do it in the Capri next winter

If I picked up a complete 93-95 Lightning engine, what should I change other than the required headers, pan, flywheel?
    Last edited by CapriGT; 12-23-2013 at 06:33 PM.
    1980 Capri
    5.0 EFI Mass Air, Rebuilt T5, Centerforce Dual Friction, B&M Ripper Shifter, Aluminum Driveshaft, 5 Lug 8.8, Cobra Brakes, Maximum Motorsports HD Lower Control Arms 94GT Spindles, 94 Front Control Arms, B Springs, Tokico Shocks & Struts, MM Camber Plates

Camshaft, if you don't want to rebuild it. I would reseal it atleast.

Valve springs.

If I was looking to install a 351W, I'd look for a complete Crown Vic to use as a donor, as I think that the oil pan and pickup are what you want, (dual sump) and I suspect that the front accessory stuff is going to be at least pretty close to what works in a Fox.
    You need a 28 ounce imbalance flywheel, (apparently a machine shop can rebalance a 50 ounce unit) and maybe a few other bits, and you'll have something Ford should have built and sold from 1979 until 1993.

I've always wondered if a Mac three-piece H-pipe would work on a 351W, the two I've had seemed to hang a little low on 302s.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post
    Valve springs.
    Why does everyone always say that about GT40 heads?
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I guess it is just a gross generalization about GT 40 heads on my part, but regardless, if you can get a set of springs that are at least as good as the factory Lightning springs, it can't hurt - especially if the motor has higher mileage or has had persistent overheating problems.

I guess I'm pessimistic because I've been searching spring pressures, and any and all other information on valve springs, as I want to replace the ones in my Exploder P's, so I can put them on my stock HO cammed car.
    From what I can tell, whatever you do, don't buy the run of the mill McParts store valve springs, even if you have seen the manufacturer's logo on a race car. Not even for a stock roller HO. Maybe not even for a stock Explorer motor going back into your Explorer...
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Just so you know, I wasn't being snarky. I was genuinely curious as I've heard that many times.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

FEP Power Member horsepowerjunkie's Avatar

The factory springs on the GT40 and P heads that came off of an Explorer/Mountaineer are very mild because of the mild factory cam, plus after many miles & heat cycles they get weaker yet. If you plan on changing springs on these heads, remember they have different length groves in the valves to accomdate the spring rotaters on the exhaust valves. So if you want to get the correct installed spring height you will need offset retainers or keepers. A few compainies offer a kit with everything you need to do this. Alex's Parts is one of them that I've read alot of good stuff about. Check out the kits below & read about the different valve length:
    http://www.alexsparts.com/sb-ford-gt...it-hyd-roller/
    11 GT Black, A6,Steeda CAI, SCT X4, Circle D 4C
    89LX Blk Hatch,363 Dart,C4,T76BB,FAST EFI
    86 Black GT, 331 Dart, S-trim aftercooled, 4R70W
    82 Carpi RS, 306, T5, 8.8 4.10's.
    72 Demon 340 4-speed(one of 1667)
    73 Dart Sport 340, 410ci, Indy 230cnc+, bracket brawler
    01 Ram Quad Cab, 5.9L car hauler
    02 Grizzley 660
    03 Honda VTX 1800

Blog Entries

^^ what he said. The GT40p springs will give you valve float over 4000/4500 rpm
    Just not strong enough to pull the valves shut in time at higher rpm.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Explorer/Mountaineer GT-40P heads and valve springs aren't relevant to the Lightning engine. Lightning engine GT-40 heads are 1993/4 Cobra castings. Stock Lightning cam is hydraulic flat-tappet from 1982-84, and 1985 CFI, H.O. 5.0L Mustang/Capri. It is not some mega lobe roller cam so no reason to fuss about the valve springs. Get the springs tested at any local machine shop if you're that concerned about seat pressure.

Like the flywheel, the dampener is also 28.2 oz imbalance. Don't plan on reusing any 81+ 5.0L dampener.

FRPP used to sell a set of two brackets for the AC and PS pumps, not sure if they still do. Thought I remembered that a serpentine setup from a 351W Crown Vic would also work.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Blog Entries

What years did the Crown Vic come with the dual sump 351?
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Quote Originally Posted by brianj View Post
    What years did the Crown Vic come with the dual sump 351?
    I got mine years ago from an 85
    1980 Capri
    5.0 EFI Mass Air, Rebuilt T5, Centerforce Dual Friction, B&M Ripper Shifter, Aluminum Driveshaft, 5 Lug 8.8, Cobra Brakes, Maximum Motorsports HD Lower Control Arms 94GT Spindles, 94 Front Control Arms, B Springs, Tokico Shocks & Struts, MM Camber Plates

Early 1980s to early 1990s.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Crown Vic stuff would be best. I used the serpentine belt system from a 5.0 Mustang and the "swap bracket" for the AC compressor I bought didn't work with the 79 style compressor. I just notched out the lower part of the bracket and used the two upper bolts and it worked. In addition, I needed a crank spacer for the pulley. At the time SVO only sold one and you machined it to fit. So I had it machined to the exact specs I needed. I think now you can get a few different spacers for your application, but just getting stuff from a Crown Vic would likely be easier.

If you are going injected, don't forget about the gas tank, pump, lines, regulator, etc....
    I push my fingers into my eyes......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update - 2023 - Looking to buy 81 Mustang, 82/85/86 Mustang GT, and 79 - 86 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars or convertibles - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.