Close

Default the process of filling an empty C4 transmission

Transmission was rebuilt and I received it back bone dry.

The torque converter is new

Here's what i've done so far now that I have it installed:

I had put ONE quart in the torque converter prior to installing it.

I have since put FIVE quarts in thru the dipstick.

I dont know the exact process from here of filling it up properly. I am afraid of either cranking the car without enough fluid or putting too much in to begin with. On a c4 does the car have to be running with the transmission warmed up to read on the dipstick or can I fill it just while its running in park or what?? Do I have to put the car in drive and reverse a couple of times before checking the fluid??

(this is a case fill c4 if it makes any difference)
    Last edited by sircrunch; 12-20-2013 at 08:32 PM.
    1979 Ford Fairmont Futura "The F Bomb"

I'm not quite sure how much fluid a C4 holds but I think you are on the right track. I would put one more quart in it and then start it up and check the fluid while it is running. Keep adding fluid until you see some on the dipstick and then switch the transmission through the gears and check it again. Make sure to check it again after it warms up and again after you take a test flight in it.
    2005 Mustang GT- 13.62 @102 All Stock- RIP 8-29-05 9:17 AM
    2003 Redfire Terminator
    1985 Mustang GT T-Top- Almost Done

you know how to install a transmission but dont know how to fluid check thing ?
    Always Stay Humble. -Sinister-

put it on 4 jackstands,(level) go though the gears, be sure the wheels are stopped before putting it in park, check the fluid in park, engine off, hot fluid
    Last edited by FM2NOTCH; 12-20-2013 at 11:48 PM.
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

Automatic transmissions are generally to be checked with the engine running. Warmed up is preferred to a cold start checking the fluid level. Be sure to re-check after about 100 miles or so once the air bubbles have worked their way out.

I've also been fed this silliness about the valve bodies needing to be re-checked after being removed/reinstalled. That's because most shops tighten them without a torque wrench, and even then not properly. I tighten mine 3 times with a torque wrench in the proper sequence, and I've never had one need any maintenance thereafter. Shops like you to visit them often.

Tom
    1986 GT Hatchback.
    Overheard at Carlisle 2013: "Wow, this thing still runs?"
    You're darn right it does!