Close

Default Fly Wheel Questions SROD to T5 or Tremec Swap

I want to start from the beginning that way all questions are answered. I purchased a all stock 1982 Mustang SROD 5.0. The Flywheel needed to be replaced due to the starter breaking one the ears and the guy starting it and chewing up the teeth to no end. I pulled the transmission PP and clutch and ordered a replacement. 50oz imbalance 157 tooth ect (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=628832_0_0_). Installed it. Problem solved right?

The reason I purchased a 91 fly wheel was because I also intended to do a t5 (came out of a 91) swap while the transmission was out which is what proceeded to do but in the end the transmission was trash so i pulled the t5 in and was going to just slide the SROD back in as nothing was wrong with it. Everything went together fine for the t5 swap new larger clutch PP ect smooth install. Came out smooth also.

Problem:

The 10 inch PP and clutch will not bolt into the above (new) flywheel. There are not threads on the holes that the 10 inch PP needs.

I know I am not doing anything wrong I just have seen so many post on here that say that you can throw the SROD on to a T5 car and the other way around. Am I missing something. When I looked up 1982 mustang Flywheel a different part number comes up. I believe they are both the same but are made to accept two different pressure plates.

So what i can conclude from this is... That if you have an SROD you can just keep your fly wheel and clutch and just put the T5 right over it, but if you wanted to use the larger T5 clutch the fly wheel would have to come out of or be for a later model fox body?
    Last edited by FrOdOtRoNiK; 12-20-2013 at 06:54 PM.

a T5 trans won't bolt to the srod bellhousing, srod trans won't bolt to a T5 bell

you can use the 82-85 10 inch clutch,flywheel with a srod bell or 83-93 T5 bell

you can use a 86-93 10.5 clutch,flywheel with the srod bell or the T5 bell

a tremec trans will bolt to the srod bell, but not a T5 bell
    Last edited by FM2NOTCH; 12-20-2013 at 11:54 PM.
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

Well I understand the bell housing situation. I guess I just wanted to confirm that you can not use the 10 inch clutch with the newer flywheel that is meant for a 10.5 clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by FrOdOtRoNiK View Post
    Well I understand the bell housing situation. I guess I just wanted to confirm that you can not use the 10 inch clutch with the newer flywheel that is meant for a 10.5 clutch.
    in a pinch the clutch disc might work, it would be 1/4 inch smaller on both sides, the flywheels are the same diameter, but the holes for the pressure plate are in a different location.
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

I guess I just wanted to confirm that you can not use the 10 inch clutch with the newer flywheel that is meant for a 10.5 clutch.
    I think you've confirmed it for us...

If you specified a '91 model for your new flywheel, then you need a clutch for a '91. In '86 (IIRC) they went from the 10" clutch to the 10.5".
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.