Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks snake. It's held up pretty well so far. I'm running e85 which lowers exhaust temp. (Idk how much lower) but lower exhaust temps may lengthen its life. The only problem I've had on the exhaust side is the exhaust gasket. I put a new one on with a little high temp silicone on both sides.i was told it would help the gasket from blowing out. I had found reviews on the header with people saying they had installed it on their daily drivers with now issues. Fingers crossed that it last

back together minus the fuel rail im still waiting on.
    Name:  IMG_1383.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  137.3 KB

That valve cover came out nice, I like it a lot! header gaskets are notorious for leaking on any engine. When I had my 5.0 on NOS I switched to the percy's aluminum header gasket, best thing ever made for a header!

thanks i got the idea from a guy out in my area with a red svo that has his painted silver. do you know where can i order that gasket from?

why not just make your own aluminum or copper gasket? all you need is the material and a stock gasket as a template. you want pure aluminum or copper about 3/16" thick.
    64 falcon
    66 mustang
    05 grand marquis

dont just believe in miracles, rely on them!

fordsix.com admin

The aluminum gasket from Percy's is stamped. I think with just a flat sheet of aluminum it may not seal properly. And for the labor involved it making one I myself would rather just purchase it. To each their own though.

many years ago we used to build our own copper gaskets for our race car and never had a leak with them. we used 3/16" dead soft pure copper material. the only advantage of the stamping is better edges, the sealing ability is the same. by the way use a thin coat of permatex copper coat sealer on the gaskets, we used the spray on material for best sealing.
    64 falcon
    66 mustang
    05 grand marquis

fordsix.com admin

Wow that interesting. What did y'all cut the sheet of copper with?

anything sharp. the bolt holes we used various punches, the ports we used a very sharp chisel, and for the rest we used tin snips. we then dressed the edges with a flat file or a rat tail file. it was a fair amount of work, but when you are done, you have a set of exhaust gaskets that are virtually indestructible, and of course reusable.
    64 falcon
    66 mustang
    05 grand marquis

fordsix.com admin

Hmm I may have to look into that. I was thinking about trying it with a Dremel but I know aluminum clogs up almost every bit.

use a fine stone for dressing the edges with the dremel. that way you eliminate the clogging issue.
    64 falcon
    66 mustang
    05 grand marquis

fordsix.com admin

one thing if you use a chisel to cut the port openings, and use the same trick on the bolt holes, dont try to punch through the material all at once, or even from only one side. start on one side, then turn the material over and work the other side a bit. when you get the material thin enough, you might be able to finish the cut with a sharp utility knife, just be very careful not to cut yourself.
    64 falcon
    66 mustang
    05 grand marquis

fordsix.com admin

alright so the bigrmotorsport fuelrail came in today. looks good. im pretty happy with the quality. i did run into a problem with clearance so it will be alittle longer before i get the svo back on the road. im going to go ahead and order a cam as well. i am probably going to go with boports 1.9.
    heres a pic of the rail and block.
    Name:  IMG_1408.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  50.3 KB
    Last edited by 85sv0; 01-08-2014 at 07:59 PM.

Video cruising around on 11lbs. Taking it easy

Summit has the percy's aluminum gasket for 5.0L. You have to call them and see if they have a 2.3L available. The Percy's is actually two layers/gaskets and they are just stapled together on top, so it's a nice thick gasket to take up imperfections.

Awesome yeah I found it. There's a section for 2.3's. Does anyone have a turbo recommendation? I'm looking to upgrade the turbo here soon?

Default Nice save. Could use your input.

85sv0, I see that your location is in The Woodlands. I live just south in Tomball. I have two SVO projects that I would love to get your input on. Your build looks great and you've done a lot of the same things that are on my list. I'm sending my email by private message. Let me know if you'd be interested in comparing notes.

UPDATE: the car is going to be put on hold. I will be ordering some A.N. Fittings and e85 compatible braided line and converting the alternator to a 3G but that will be it until next year. I'm gonna hold off on installing the cam also. I'm saving up for a new 5.0 stang. I will be listing some parts off the svo up for sale here and on Craigslist also. If anyone has any questions about the build or anything I'll be happy to help with as much as I know.

I had mixed feeling about the silver gas tank from 5.0resto but its grown on me. i think the silver goes good with the car being black and the silver pinstripes on the taillights
    Name:  IMG_1490.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  78.9 KB

Very Nice job on "Rescuing" another worthy SVO !!

Good looking engine compartment work . IC is really neat

Enjoy the results of your hard work !!
    1986 SVO 7b - Original Owner
    1988 Turbo Coupe - Original Owner
    2015 Fusion Titanium AWD - DD
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Son's DD

Past Pony's

1964 - Mustang - 289 - 225 HP - Dad's - Delivered 4/17/64
    1965 - Mustang - Hi Po GT - Prairie Bronze
    1967 - Shelby GT 350

What header is that?? Link?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    Have
    '84 GT
    '86 SVO 2R
    '02 GT

Quote Originally Posted by SVOfish View Post
    What header is that?? Link?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    It's an xs power off of eBay. I haven't had any problems yet.

Okay so some updates. I've been slowly working on the svo in whatever free time I can find and so far I've upgraded the factory electric fan to a dual electric off of a 99 mercury cougar, began a wire tuck and vacuum line tuck, played around with making a plug for a fiberglass mold of a spoiler, and currently mounted a 6g alternator off of a 2001 ford mustang v6.

I am a little lost with the alternator wiring. My 6g doesn't have a stator plug and all the information on the internet I've found has diagrams and write ups for alternators with the stator plug.

This is the link to my build pics.
    https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/113035032@N02/

FEP Member

very nice

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12