Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Restoring 79 Mustang Indy Pace Car Go Kart

Well I bought a 79 Mustang pace car go kart a few months ago that was not in all of that great of shape Here is what I did today with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

here is where I am at with the body now.

Now I need to find an original 79 Mustang pace car to get measurements off of the decals so I can have some made 1/2 size of originals for the Go Kart body.
    In a few days I will paint the satin black around the bottom of the body and around the side windows. This is what they looked like originally.
    Last edited by Angliagasser; 08-30-2014 at 11:17 AM.

Wow, way cool!!!!
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Great work, and very cool project. I've never seen anyone restore one of these. I can't wait to see it finished.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

I need decals for it! I have contacted three outfits that make decals for the full size pace car and ask them if they could make then in 1/2 size of originals. They all tell me they do not do any custom work. I ask them for the file they have of them so I can make the 1/2 size and they all tell me sorry but NO! Talked to a local outfit and they said if I could get the file it would be easy to make them 1/2 size. Without the file they said it would be $500 just to start and could cost more. But once the file is made they said they could make the whole set for around $100. But its the first one that will cost the most.
    Last edited by Angliagasser; 08-31-2014 at 12:53 AM.

FEP Member

Awesome project man.

Well it's all painted now. Now to find someone with a full size 79 Mustang Pace Car to get measurements off of their lettering to have some made 1/2 size for this.

Thats sweet!!!!

Wow, the paint job turned out great. Sucks that the decal companies won't cooperate. Good luck.

Just talked to a guy I know and he said he just might happen to have a Pace car door and hood lying around. If so I can get the measurements off of them enough to go try to have some made somewhere.

These are the rims going on it.

Very cool.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

love this! hope you are able to get the decals done.

You're very talented with a paint gun. The car looks amazing! What is that on each of the fenders, where the marker lights typically go? It's too small in the pics for me to make out.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

FEP Power Member

Very nice work.
    Kendal

They are small chrome pony emblems. They were on it when I got it

Thanks. I just couldn't make them out. Do you plan on adding the side marker lights? How are you gonna do the headlights and Marchal Fog Lights?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

What is it that you need measurements of specifically? Just the lettering? How exact are you trying to get?

I know that sounds dumb, because we all know what you need measurements off. But the reason I ask is because any sign shop that is half way coherent should be able to produce those for you, just from pics on the internet even. However, I realize it comes down to how picky the buyer is and maybe they don't want to touch it. (colors, layers, fonts, proportions, etc). So I am trying to figure out why these sign companies can't do it.

Also, the original lettering on the car is different than the original lettering on the cart. I assume you are looking for the car lettering and not the cart?

I can measure most of the graphics for you if you want and I even have the whole set of factory ford decals scanned into my computer to recreate them. However, I won't send my file to a sign shop for them to profit off my work, especially if they are the same sign shop that can't do a little work and create those graphics for you (I'm sorry but I ran a sign shop for several years, their attitude ticks me off). I have the equipment to create the graphics for you, but I have a couple concerns on getting involved.

So if you just want measurements, let me know specifically what you are looking for. If you want me to make them for you PM me so I don't get my wrist slapped.
    Last edited by 69clark; 09-03-2014 at 02:55 PM.
    Tom

CAMMED & SLAMMED! For more build pics and updates: http://www.facebook.com/SINISBuilt

For being "BUILT not BOUGHT" I am still broke!

BTW, I always wanted to restore one of these. Lover the project.
    Tom

CAMMED & SLAMMED! For more build pics and updates: http://www.facebook.com/SINISBuilt

For being "BUILT not BOUGHT" I am still broke!

The new tires and wheel should be showing up any day now. I bought some full size rectangle headlight decals and some 90 mustang tail light decals to cut down to see how they might look. Got measurements off of a pace car drivers door for most of the lettering. Now to get the hood and tire with wings measurements.

Quote Originally Posted by Angliagasser View Post
    The new tires and wheel should be showing up any day now. I bought some full size rectangle headlight decals and some 90 mustang tail light decals to cut down to see how they might look. Got measurements off of a pace car drivers door for most of the lettering. Now to get the hood and tire with wings measurements.
    i have a real pace car, only thing i dont have is the door stickers, any dimensions you need type up in detail and pm me, ill get you the measurements within a few days

I went yesterday and got everything I need off of a really mint full size pace car. Now to find someone to make these things. The only thing is the decals for the go kart are bit different then the full size ones.

Default Headlights

Made and installed the headlights the other day. This took way longer then you can even imagine. Name:  20140912_163748_resized_2.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  24.4 KBName:  20140912_184416_resized_2.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  109.0 KB

Default Taillights

The taillights did not take even 1/4 as long to do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast