Close

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    That Cobra looks amazing Sickshift ....
    ... nice typo Mike ... my nickname is Stickshift but I'm quite kind of sick for shifter cars !

cheers, Pete
    '79 Ghia 5.0 notch, '94 C4 6-sp vert (sold), '95 Cobra coupe w/Vortech SC (sold), '88 GT 5-sp vert (sold), '86 GT 5-sp vert (sold)

nickname: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBCFM5rUfuI

Added the new Swiss Cobra. Originally came with rear washer/wiper but looks like it's not there now. Keep ahold of that sunroof shade. Those are hard to find. Nice looking car!
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Hi there,
    I am new to the forums but have visited from time to time while searching different items. Have a 1980 cobra since 1988. This car has been my baby for over 20yrs now. It is not original and has been modified in its own ways like many I have read about on this site.

VIN - OR03A133189

I have pic of a Door tag for you as well. I am curious what info you could tell me about this one...thanks in advance !!

Name:  DSCN1350.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  56.2 KBName:  DSCN1352.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  74.7 KB

1980 133189 added to the registry

How many miles on the odometer? Can you post the buck tag, owner card, build sheet, window sticker, Marti report, Eminger invoice, etc? Does it have any of the following options? http://foxchassis.com/fep/registry/c...ions/1980.html
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 07-22-2014 at 08:03 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Odometer showing 105,530 km. It was out of service or parked for many of its years and not driven much currently...so quite low mileage actually.

I fear the "buck tag" you refer to has been lost in the shuffle. I don't remember seeing it at all but will try to find it for you.

Original motor was 2.3T with a 4 spd and 3.55 gears (I think). Drivetrain was completely modified in 88/89 with a 1979 vintage 302 (after original engine failed) and was scrapped. Found a 5 speed from 83 GT...so a bit of a hybrid that way. Original color was metallic grey but was repainted a 1970 poppy red in 2004.

Options, not sure what else to tell you . Console option and Rear defrost for sure. It was a pretty standard model as I remember with no AC or any fancy options so to speak. The factory radio was long gone when I got the car so not sure what it was but not premium sound. Since have replaced it with an AM/FM cassette that I believe to be close to original. I also added a factory intermittent wiper module while rebuilding. Sunroof was there when I bought the car but quite sure it was aftermarket along with the louvers.

Question for you - The VIN number indicates "A" code for the engine which is 2.3L but the turbo was "W"code, yet I thought I seen other cobra VIN's from this year with the A code as well...any thoughts on this? It was definitely a turbo that come out of it and too much evidence this thing did have the cobra package etc.

Thanks

Since the car was made at San Jose, the buck tag is low and out of sight. It's screwed to the radiator frame just above the bumper shock.

The small round holes in the above pic is where the bumper shocks go through the radiator frame and bolt to the front subframe. The large oval holes are for accessing the headlamp sockets.

Looking up from under the front bumper is the best way to spot the buck tag.

1980 was weird model year for codes. The turbo and non-turbo engines had the same VIN code ("A" for both) but different buck tag codes ("A" for non-turbo, "T" for turbo). Factory sunroof cars had a letter that was different than every other year ("B" for 1980 only, "C" every other year), and solid roof cars had a code while every other year had no code at all.

VIN
    0 = 1980 model year
    R = San Jose Assembly
    03 = Mustang 3-dr hatchback
    A = non-turbocharged/turbocharged 2.3L engine
    133189 = 33,189th 1980 Ford scheduled for production at San Jose Assembly

Door Tag
    Date - 02/80 = February 1980 scheduled build
    0196 = 196 lbs front accessory reserve load
    0075 = 75 lbs rear accessory reserve load
    Exterior Paint Colors - 1P 1C = Medium Grey Metallic exterior paint color (1P) Black lower (1C) (tu-tone paint)
    DSO - B6 = Western Ford of Canada district sales office
    Body - 61R = Mustang 3-dr hatchback
    Int Trim - BA = cloth & vinyl seating, high-back front buckets (B), Black interior color (A)
    A/C - [blank] = no air conditioner
    R - [blank] = no radio
    S - 0 = no sunroof
    Ax - F = 3.45:1 axle ratio, non0locking differential
    Tr - 6 = 4-sp manual Borg Warner transmission
    CC = front springs
    FF = rear springs
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 07-22-2014 at 09:31 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Thanks again for all the info....it is really appreciated. That answers some questions I have had for a while.

I was able to find the buck tag after you pointed me in the right place. Definitely not something jumping out at you.

The tag was hard to read in the pic so I made a pencil image too....COBRA is right there on the tag.

Name:  DSCN1360.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  50.8 KB

Buck Tag
    0R03A133189 - [VIN decoded above]
    1PA = Medium Grey Metallic exterior paint color (1P), Black interior trim color (A)
    T6 = turbocharged 2.3L engine (T), 4-sp manual Borg Warner transmission (6)
    H = heated backlite (defrost)?
    SC = speed control (cruise control)?
    P
    U
    COBRA = Cobra package
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Thanks again for your help decoding...certainly that buck tag looks different than the others I have seen on this site. Seems to confirm that there were not a lot of options on this car. No speed control to my knowledge.

San Jose tags look totally different than Dearborn buck tags. You're probably used to seeing Dearborn tags.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Marti report for my cobra came in yesterday, see pics below for stats.

Name:  marti.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  95.6 KBName:  marti 1.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  43.6 KBName:  marti 2.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  62.7 KBName:  marti 3.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  54.2 KBName:  marti 4.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  99.4 KB

I noticed my cobra isnt in here.
    79, turbo, aftermarket sunroof. Black on black with red graphics maybe?
    9r03w160898
    79 cobra- rockin the efi 2.3T again.

2007 lifted F-350 Lariat Outlaw 4x4
    83 Porsche 944
    01 GSXR 1000

Sold: 96 f-350, 69 baja bug, 86 XJS v12, jeep j-3000, wagoneer, 95 f-250, 89 LX 5.0 and a few others

OK, been very busy and not much time to post. Funny how things work because shortly after I joined up with FEP I found another 1980 cobra for sale and could not resist....so now own two of them !!

Its a bit rough, going to need some work for sure as had not run for 12 years but looks very original and not monkeyed with very much. I also have quite a few spares from my first cobra so plan is to fix it up for my son to drive in a couple years when he gets his drivers.

Add it to the registry. I have attached some pics with door tag, buck tag, and whats left of the build sheet...see what you can figure out.

Cheers,

Name:  80mustang-2.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  78.7 KBName:  DSCN1361.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  117.1 KBName:  DSCN1450.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  46.8 KBName:  DSCN1451.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  75.5 KBName:  DSCN1453.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  102.9 KB

Nice, I remember that one...
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

0F03D196904 added to the registry. How many miles on the odometer?

Build sheet I will have some question later regarding codes I cannot see, and I will have to decode it later.

VIN
    0 = 1980 model year
    F = Dearborn Assembly
    03 = Mustang 3-dr hatchback
    D = 4.2L V8 engine
    196904 = 96,904th 1980 Ford scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly

Door Tag
    Date - ??/??
    F0191 = 191 lbs front accessory reserve load
    R0052 = 52 lbs rear accessory reserve load
    Exterior Paint Colors - 5T 1C = Bright Caramel upper (5T), Black lower (1C)
    DSO - B6 = Western Ford of Canada district sales office
    Body - 61R = Mustang 3-dr hatchback
    Int Trim - BT = cloth & vinyl seating, high-back buckets (B), Caramel interior color (T)
    A/C - [blank] = no air conditioner
    R - 7 = AM/FM stereo with cassette tape player
    S - 0 = no sunroof
    Ax - G = 2.26:1 axle ratio, non-locking differential
    Tr - W = C4 automatic transmission
    44 = front springs
    LL = rear springs

Buck Tag
    MUSTANG = Mustang model line
    196904 = 96,904th 1980 Ford scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly
    61R = Mustang 3-dr hatchback
    D = 4.2L V8 engine
    0101 = body & paint rotations #0101
    5T = Bright Caramel exterior paint color
    DF
    TT = Black lower exterior paint color (lower tu-tone)
    ST
    LL = liftgate louvers
    08 = rear glass with defrost; hatchback liftgate with single-wing and louvers, without rear wiper
    RA = road abrasion coating (lower bodyside protection)
    HB = heated backlite (rear defrost)
    CBR = Cobra model/trim level
    07 = full-length rear-facing hood scoop
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 10-06-2014 at 12:25 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Right...forgot...odometer at 169,100 km.

Thanks for the decode. Some of the numbers are very tough to read especially from the pics. The build sheet is almost a write off but I can still make out some of the info if I look close up...so let me know what you need.

Name:  DSCN1383.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  82.0 KBName:  DSCN1364.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  97.8 KB

Looks like the car has been kept very original but showing its age and deteriorated from sitting exposed for many years (parked in 2002). The 4.2 looks unmodified with all the hoses and components intact. With a bit of fuel and some coaxing we were able to get it running decent and drive it onto the trailer under its own power. Got some minor damage to the front spoiler, some moderate rust in places , and brakes are pretty much seized but so far cant see anything that can't be patched up with some $$$, trips to the junkyard, and some TLC.

Todd

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...228141107a.jpg

This is the door tag of the car I just bought. I tried to get a pic of the buck tag but could not.
    Amy MCA #81079 3rd generation gold card judge, 1993 Ford Probe GT
    1979 Cobra
    1979 Ghia coupe
    1979 5.0 coupe
    1980 turbo coupe
    1990 7 up
    1993 Yellow /black feature convertible 14k miles
    1993Yellow/black feature convertible AC delete
    1995 Cobra hardtop convertible
    1998 GT convertible

Trying to figure out how to upload pics. Here's what I have.. Vin 9f03f19w82w. Buck tag..192822. 61r f 2p. R. Dftt Cbr wqm.

9F03F192822 added to the database and registry. Thanks.

How many miles on the odometer? What option does it have?

1979 Mustang Cobra Package - Standard and Optional Equipment
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

82000 and change. Not yet sure on options. I don't know what the future holds for this little cobra yet

Could some one redirect me to the proper place for this. Looking for guidance on how to proceed with this car. It is a bit rough but I think savable. I've looked for this car a long time and they appear to be in short supply, especially ones that aren't cut up. I also have po badgering me to sell it back. I guess help to determine rarety, originality is what I'm looking for. Thank you

Here's another cobra. Silver turbo four, 4 speed, intact sunroof,air, black vinyl with cloth inserts, rear factory speakers, map light, no console. Alas this one will be stripped of remaining good parts and scrapped, a victim of Midwest weather and misguided "improvements".
    Last edited by 2nd chance cobra; 05-01-2016 at 10:26 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast