Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default 1979-1981 Cobra Registry

https://www.foxchassis.com/fep/registry/cobra/

Got one to add? Got missing info to fill in? Let me know. Thanks.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 04-15-2023 at 06:40 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I parted one, as soon as I find the VIN tag I kept I will get you the information. Sad, 79 silver turbo car, wrecked in 80 or 81 with 15,400 miles on it. Got it from someone who got it from someone who got it from the original owner who tried to have it fixed but it was hit so hard (ran into the woods) that it really was not salvageable.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Mick,

This is great stuff! A big THANK YOU for sharing this stuff to the public.
    Last edited by Hissing Cobra; 12-10-2014 at 08:12 AM.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Thanks should go out to all that have shared their info.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

A big THANK YOU to Fox Chassis for doing this Only (5) 1979 Alternates on the list.

Great work Fox chassis!

Here are the details for the 80 Cobra that I part own here in England

Steve B
    1979 Pace Car 2.3 Turbo
    1989 GT 5.0 Auto
    1981 T-Top 2.3 RHD (Half share)
    1979 Pace Car 5.0 Auto (Half share)
    1980 Cobra

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2520872

JT: I hope I got the Cobra Alternate info correct.

Steve: Thanks for the door/buck tags. I will add them to the database and registry. What is the mileage and does it have any of the following options?

front license plate bracket
    Cobra hood graphics
    premium sound system ("AMP PULL" knob to left of radio)
    tilt steering wheel
    interval windshield wipers (timed delay between wipes, in addition to normal high & low that all cars have)
    console
    cargo area cover
    tinted glass (tinted windshield, slight green or tan tint to side and rear glass)
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

[QUOTE=FoxChassis;1604794]Steve: Thanks for the door/buck tags. I will add them to the database and registry. What is the mileage and does it have any of the following options?QUOTE]

No problem mate!

Unfortunately the car had been modified to a street strip car when we got it so some of the stock stuff is missing.

front license plate bracket (Don't know)
    Cobra hood graphics (Not present, also have pics of car and magazine feature from early 90's and no hood decal)
    premium sound system ("AMP PULL" knob to left of radio) Yes ( as seen in attached pic)
    tilt steering wheel No, fixed sport steering wheel
    interval windshield wipers (timed delay between wipes, in addition to normal high & low that all cars have) Not sure, can't make out from pic so will have to check
    console Yes
    cargo area cover Not present
    tinted glass (tinted windshield, slight green or tan tint to side and rear glass) No tint

Not sure what the mileage is either and the car is presently in storage, so it may take me a while to get back to you on that.

Steve B
    1979 Pace Car 2.3 Turbo
    1989 GT 5.0 Auto
    1981 T-Top 2.3 RHD (Half share)
    1979 Pace Car 5.0 Auto (Half share)
    1980 Cobra

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2520872

Thanks for the updates. Looks like the car had a repaint by the time it was pictured in that early 1993 Mustang Round Up publication, so it is possible it had the Cobra hood graphics originally. The knob to the left of the radio doesn't look like the normal AMP PULL knob (it was originally closer to the radio, so should not have been able to be seen from that interior pic, and it was mounted under the dash pointing down and had an "AMP PULL" plate above it).

So the confirmed options list so far looks like A/C, console, and power locks.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Very cool spreadsheet! Thanks for sharing!

Need some a large pic of some Cobra hood decals. Must be of your own car. What you post will be used as a background image. It will be cropped to fit. Thanks!
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Need some a large pic of some Cobra hood decals. Must be of your own car. What you post will be used as a background image. It will be cropped to fit. Thanks!

FEP Senior Member cobracomander's Avatar

Great job & thanks!
    owner Jim Berry
    location Bensalem pa 19020
    my 1979 cobra vin 9F03F168652
    white 9d green decals
    302 4spd
    sunroof
    rear wiper
    cruise control
    no hood decal
    109,000 miles

1979 Mustang Cobra wht/green v8
    1984 Mustang GT-350 Convertible
    2005 Toyota Tacoma Ext Cab Trd 4x4 off road- (daily driver)
    1968 Mustang Conv (Eleanor Project)
    2009 Honda crv.

FEP Senior Member cobracomander's Avatar

I have a vin door plate from a parted out junked I think is a 79 cobra or pace car here are the pics
    was in a storage yard in Levittown pa former drag car.

1979 Mustang Cobra wht/green v8
    1984 Mustang GT-350 Convertible
    2005 Toyota Tacoma Ext Cab Trd 4x4 off road- (daily driver)
    1968 Mustang Conv (Eleanor Project)
    2009 Honda crv.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Thanks for the updates. Looks like the car had a repaint by the time it was pictured in that early 1993 Mustang Round Up publication, so it is possible it had the Cobra hood graphics originally. The knob to the left of the radio doesn't look like the normal AMP PULL knob (it was originally closer to the radio, so should not have been able to be seen from that interior pic, and it was mounted under the dash pointing down and had an "AMP PULL" plate above it).

So the confirmed options list so far looks like A/C, console, and power locks.
    Hey Mick, I've seen that seat material before, but not in any of the ford books. Any idea what it is? Also, that knob seems like it would be for a rear wiper. Was that not listed on the door or buck tag?
    Last edited by TopGear85; 12-13-2013 at 02:48 AM.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Thanks JT, for the Cobra hood decal pic.

Jim/cobracommander: Thanks for the door tags and buck tag. Will add them all to the database and the Cobra to the registry. The ex-drag car is not a Cobra or Pace Car.

TopGear/Mike: I do not know where the seat material from 79pace's car came from but that is not the 'normal' Recaro seating material. His Cobra did originally come with Recaro seating though (IN TRIM code WA). It did not come with a rear wiper (code "RW" on the buck tag, as seen on Jim's Cobra's tag).
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Very Cool Mick! Thanks for doing this!
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

Default Swiss Cobra 5.0

This Swiss 1979 Cobra is for sale near Zurich, I had a look at it today and took some piccies. The guy told me that the original rims are still around... and obviously somebody did some fixing on the front due to bad paint or so. You cannot see it on these pics but it's really/still a TT=two tone.

VIN: 9F 03 F 188960

Buck tag:

188960 61R F MR 0145
    46 W DF TT M
    RW AC HB DRM EX
    CBR WQM 3 V

(7?)T2 7 * 7 6 36

Door tag: see below

Name:  000.JPG
Views: 1364
Size:  186.6 KB Name:  buck tag.JPG
Views: 1361
Size:  126.0 KB Name:  door tag.JPG
Views: 1354
Size:  102.2 KB Name:  001.JPG
Views: 1338
Size:  144.4 KB Name:  005.JPG
Views: 1358
Size:  164.9 KB

Default Swiss Cobra 5.0

There's an additional Swiss specific door tag as well:

Name:  door tag ch.JPG
Views: 1326
Size:  118.5 KB

CH: 0287-66 is the Swiss type approval number for this car model (1979 Mustang 5.0)

Btw: it's lowered on the front (original springs are available) and it has got 105'000 km (not miles) on the clock.
    Last edited by stickshift; 01-31-2014 at 05:11 PM.

The front valance is wrong for an American 79. Did Ford do that just for Switzerland?

No, I don't think so but I'm not sure. The previous owner may added/changed it later on. This is another "official" Swiss Cobra from 1979 with the same Swiss type approval number (have no VIN and tags yet though) which looks as it should:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/attachme...7&d=1389130815

Quote Originally Posted by JTs Bikes View Post
    The front valance is wrong for an American 79. Did Ford do that just for Switzerland?

stickshift: Very cool! Thanks for posting up the pics and info. I have added it to the database and registry.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Decode of the Swiss Cobra...

VIN
    9 = 1979 model year
    F = Dearborn Assembly
    03 = Mustang 3-dr hatchback
    F = 5.0L V8 engine
    188960 = 88,960th 1979 Ford scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly

Door Tag
    12/78 = December 1978 scheduled build
    F0057 = 57 lbs front accessory reserve load
    R0000 = 0 lbs rear accessory reserve load
    Exterior Paint Colors - 46 = Dark Jade Metallic
    DSO - 90 = export district sales office
    Body - 61R = Mustang 3-dr hatchback
    Mldg - B4R = Black bodyside moulding w/ Green stripe inserts
    Int Trim - RW = leather & vinyl seating, low-back front buckets (R), White interior color w/ Black appointments (W)
    A = manual air conditioner
    R - [blank] = no factory radio
    S - C = sunroof
    Ax - B = 2.47:1 axle ratio, non-locking differential
    Tr - W = C-4 automatic transmission
    MM = front springs
    NN = rear springs

Buck Tag
    188960 = 88,960th 1979 Ford scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly
    F = 5.0L V8 engine
    MR = moonroof (sunroof)
    0145 = body & paint rotations #0145
    46 = Dark Jade Metallic exterior paint color
    W = White interior trim color
    DF
    TT = tu-tone paint (Black lower)
    M
    RW = rear washer/wiper
    AC = manual air conditioner
    HB = heated backlite (rear defrost)
    DRM = dual remote mirrors
    EX = export model
    CBR = Cobra package
    WQM
    3 = hood with hole, forward facing hood scoop
    V = visibility (light/convenience group)
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

thanks for the decoding!

I like this exterior colour " Dark Jade Metallic " and as well the name of the colour

So it says white interior colour... .... could it be that they did a mistake in the factory? I can hardly believe somebody have swapped or recoloured the entire interior incl. dashboard etc...
    '79 Ghia 5.0 notch, '94 C4 6-sp vert (sold), '95 Cobra coupe w/Vortech SC (sold), '88 GT 5-sp vert (sold), '86 GT 5-sp vert (sold)

nickname: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBCFM5rUfuI

Only white parts would have been the front and rear seats and the door panels (minus the carpet strip). The rest of the interior would have been black...dash, floor carpet, door carpet, rear panels, headliner.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast