Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Subwoofer

Mostly home stereos ppl go for sound quality (SQ), trying to get the live in concert feeling. Car stereos get ported for ppl that want higher Sound Pressure Levels (SPL) measured in decibels (dB). Ported box hit harder at a certain freq. then they tend to fall off. Sealed box plays good and tight over a broader amount of frequencies. Unless you listen to rap and want to sacrifice sound quality just so you can hit higher decibels on a meter just go with a sealed box. With that being said it doesn't mean that a ported box can't sound good for SQ. It just gets super technical when you really get into sound comps. Personally, if I were you, I wouldn't over think it. Join a car audio forum if you really want to learn about it. It's like these cars, stuff can get super technical. So read, read, & read some more. I guess you have to figure what you want out of all this. Sound quality or high sound pressure levels. Do you want it to sound good in your car or do you want ppl to hear you 1/3 a mile away.

Quote Originally Posted by 85rkyboby View Post
    Just do a sealed box unless you're going to be doing any SPL comps. I'm assuming you want SQ over SPL.
    Oh geez SQ over SPL???

I posted the difference between the 2 above. Sound quality or sound pressure level. Good sound in the car or bass that you hear from 1/3 mile away.

I kept my stock stereo and went with an amplified tube. Not ground shaking bass, but in my opinion enough to balance all the highs from the speakers. Easy installation by tapping into a rear speaker line. Can take it out for shows, but definitely makes a difference without a major modification. Given the speaker locations on our Fox Mustangs, we are quite limited on what we can do with stereos/speakers. I wish I could do more from a stereo perspective, but the Fox layout makes it tough.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_204BTA8...a-BTA8100.html

Rob
    1985 Mustang GT Vert
    Factory Medium Canyon Red, original top, gray leather, 5-speed, stock premium sound, Flowmaster 40's, BBK x-pipe, MM SFCs, polished 10 holes, Enkei black mesh, 3:73's

Past Rides
    '82 GT
    '84 GT
    '89 GT
    '90 GT
    '96 GT
    '00 GT vert

Back in the day JL made a Mustang Stealth Box specifically for Fox Chassis cars...they no longer make it but it was awesome...
    Name:  56824d1129688164-jl-audio-stealth-box-fox-body-parts-004.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  156.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by n20capri View Post
    Back in the day JL made a Mustang Stealth Box specifically for Fox Chassis cars...they no longer make it but it was awesome...
    That's pretty interesting, is that yours or a pic off the internet?

Pic from the internet...I just searched for Fox Mustang Stealth Box and that came up from a for sale thread from moons ago! lol

I would like to find one of them now, wonder if a space saver spare would fit under it?
    John
    85 gt ttop
    86 coupe
    89 5.0 lx vert
    90 LX Hatch
    05 Power Stroke

Quote Originally Posted by n20capri View Post
    Good find that is a awesome set-up boy I would like to find something like that! Any members out there interested in trying to help us out that would be interested in something like this being made?

Doesn't seem like to many interested in really good clean loud music? Too me their is nothing better than the sound of a nice car belting out some mean tunes!!!!

Wouldn't be hard to make. Make a template of your cargo area with taped together coke boxes. Then trace that onto MDF and go from there. That's what I did in my 240sx because the trunk hole is so freaking small.

I like the idea but need to carry a spare to and don't thick the well is deep enough for both even with a spacesaver spare
    John
    85 gt ttop
    86 coupe
    89 5.0 lx vert
    90 LX Hatch
    05 Power Stroke

My first four-eyed I built a couple of 'false floor' type enclosures, one an amp rack, the other a sub box. It raised the floor a good 6" or so, but I still had the spare under it, and it was built up in such a way I could still get to it with a little work, the factory carpet even covered it all up nicely. The downside is that you cut down on cargo capacity by a decent amount.

↑ I did the same, built a false floor 3 inches above the factory floor and recessed a 12in jl and a Memphis amp. Sounded good but wasn't quite "finished" enough for me.
    Boss block 302, vortech blower, 473whp@12 psi

I have to agree about going with a sealed box. They hit so much tighter.

I had my sub installed in my spare tire well for years. No I didn't carry a spare. I didn't need it, never had a flat.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

FEP Member

If you dont mind running an 8" you can hid your sub here

Nice alternative to raising your floor, or loosing your spare.

that pic isn't to best where are you hiding that?

FEP Member

Yeah sorry there is a lot of sun glare. It's behind the driver side rear speaker in a hatch car. I won't be able to run rear speakers but I didn't plan on doing so anyway. There's roughly .37 cuft to use in that space, which will be perfect for an 8" alpine type R.

I think someday I'm goint to get the rear seat delete kit and mount my Infinity Kappas 10.1 both of them and my amps then my stereo will be complete and ur right the design of are hatches really put a crimp on mounting subs!!!

When I had my first Mustang (when I was 16) I had to have a killer sound system, but nowadays I find myself not even turning the stock radio on. I prefer to listen to the engine and exhaust. You guys are right about these cars not being very conducive to installing big stereo's. If that's something you really want then that set up that N20Capri posted seems like the perfect piece. Otherwise removing the rear seat is a good option. That's what Saleen did with their Pioneer Promo car, and I think they got like 10 speakers in that thing.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Well, the 3.5" up front does suck, but a box in the back with 4 solo 12's and a pair of Boston 6x9s did mighty fine back in tha day!
    I push my fingers into my eyes......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update - 2023 - Looking to buy 81 Mustang, 82/85/86 Mustang GT, and 79 - 86 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars or convertibles - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.

There's a buddy of mine on the FB FEP page. He's running Sundown Audio 12(s) in a big ole box. He hit 143db, if I'm remembering correctly. Not too shabby

FEP User

[QUOTE=TopGear85;1647952]When I had my first Mustang (when I was 16) I had to have a killer sound system, but nowadays I find myself not even turning the stock radio on. I prefer to listen to the engine and exhaust. QUOTE]

Ha Ha!!! I was thinking the same thing! I happen across this thread because I have just jumped into the waters to build my sound system in the 86 vert. Now there's a challenge for space! But it's funny to hear Topgear85 comment on this issue. My son has been pushing me to include the stereo system in my build. I think he's seeing down the road at when he gets the car. but I too don't think I will be doing too much listening to anything but the mufflers playing their sweet notes...we'll see. I'm a tight bass jazz man myself, maybe I'll drop the top and me and the sweetie will play some nice tunes while we roll down the Pacific Coast Highway.......Not! I live in deep South Florida! lol but who wants to apply gravity to my dreams? I always wanted to ride that highway...someday...

Do you guys remember these?? I remember seeing some fox Mustangs with the horns under the dash and the mid-woofers glassed and recessed into the floor of the front foot wells....always thought that would be a good set-up.

Name:  hlcd.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  26.4 KB
    2002 Roush Mustang, Griggs GR40

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12