Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subwoofer

Default Subwoofer

Anyone ever make a custom box or had one made to fit in there spare tire well? I would like to mount my Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1 so it fit flush under the tire cover so it's out of sight in my hatch but I can still use the floor in my hatch if I want. I have my Infinity true 900 watt amp to drive it a 2ohms also. Use to have this set-up in my truck behind the seat so it was out of sight with my Infinity Kappa 2ohm stable speaker's also drivin bye a Sony Explode amp running off my Alpine head unit!!! This is a excellent set-up at least for me. How well can the stock charging sytem's in these stangs handle it? This all came out of my 02 GMC the only time I had problems in my truck was in the dead of winter heat on high lights on and sometimes when the bass hit every now and then u mite see the lights dim sometimes? Someone told me I mite need to run a capacitator with this set-up? Thanks in advance

I've never made one myself but I have seen several different variations of what your looking to do. One of them was a friends 92gt, he had a 12" kicker mounted to a 3/4 mdf plate, He cut it just a little larger than the spare tire well and installed riv-nuts into the sheetmetal to bolt the plate down to keep it from sliding around and used a garage door seal just inside of where it bolted to seal it off. He later glued an extra sheet of jute padding to the back of the hatch carpet to raise up the rear hatch carpet so the floor was basically flush then.

I seen one car at a car show that had the spare tire well fiberglassed and bonded to the top plate, the only problem with fiberglass is that after sometime of use the fiberglass will start to crack due to pressure and vibration so you have to constantly stay on top of it.

If your car still has the factory alternator then it will technically work but during your long deep bass notes the amp will start pulling hard form the battery but you wont be constantly blasting the stereo so that issue would only happen during that scenario. However, for as cheap as hi amp 3g alternators are now I'd just go ahead and install a 200-250amp alt and the big 3 upgrade. In my opinion I really wouldnt go lower than a 150amp especially if you have an msd box, electric fan, fog lights etc but thats just my two cents.

I havent installed it yet but I bought a 250amp for my 82 off of ebay from a company called eagle auto electric. I'm pretty sure thought that if you looked around your town too, you could find an auto electric store in your area that builds and refurbs alternators & starters. Just dont waste your time with capacitors though, they're nothing more than a band aid. If you want to take it a step further you can always upgrade to a better quality gel battery such a shuriken, braile, some dekas and odyssey that can recover quickly from hard amperage pulls. I have used optimas for years and never had an issue but alot of others have had problems.

hope this helps,

[QUOTE=kgray59;1604495]
    I havent installed it yet but I bought a 250amp for my 82 off of ebay from a company called eagle auto electric. I'm pretty sure thought that if you looked around your town too, you could find an auto electric store in your area that builds and refurbs alternators & starters. QUOTE]
    How is it working? Seems like the high amp alternators are pretty pricey. I recently looked at the ones on Ebay, just wasn't sure of the quality or how long they might hold up.

I have a 12" JL with 900 watts to it in the wheel well of my RS. Works out great and sounds killer. Most people don't even know it is there! Just have to make a speaker box that is the size of the tire and make sure you have enough airspace for the sub you want to use or it will sound like crap. You will also need to rattle proof the back of your car. BTW: the PowerMaster 170 amp Alt in my RS was $300!

Robert
    Last edited by Hemlock; 12-10-2013 at 06:28 PM.
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
    I have a 12" JL with 900 watts to it in the wheel well of my RS. Works out great and sounds killer. Most people don't even know it is there! Just have to make a speaker box that is the size of the tire and make sure you have enough airspace for the sub you want to use or it will sound like crap. You will also need to rattle proof the back of your car. BTW: the PowerMaster 170 amp Alt in my RS was $300!

Robert
    Robert, you wouldn't happen to know how many cu ft the spare tire well is do you? Or if you could tell me how many cu ft your box is?

I havent installed 250 yet because I dont have the box built yet for my two 12's. I'm still running a stock 3G that came off a 94. The 250 has a 1 year warranty if I'm not mistaken. Even though the company on ebay I bought it from are no PA performance it was half the price and its an american company as well, It looks like a quality piece but only time will tell once its on and the 2k mono amp are in and running.

Also, there is a PA performance 200amp on ebay with a 100 buck starting bid with no bids, it has a day and a half left I believe.
    Last edited by kgray59; 12-11-2013 at 01:14 AM.

Looks awesome as always Hemlock!!!

Thanks kgray. I was running my 3500w amp on a 110 amp alternator. It worked fine as it wasn't blasting. I just need some safety buffer as I'm adding more electrical stuff everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by 85rkyboby View Post
    Robert, you wouldn't happen to know how many cu ft the spare tire well is do you? Or if you could tell me how many cu ft your box is?
    I built the box for it about 7 years ago so I don't remember what the airspace of the box was exactly. If I remember rightly I measured the bottom of the tire imprint in the body and basically increased the height of the box until I had the correct airspace needed. The way it came out for the JL subwoofer the box was just a smidge taller then the top of the tire well. If I remember rightly it needed around 1.15 cubic foot of airspace in a non-ported box. The reason it sticks up an inch or so taller then that is because I put the factory JL subwoofer screen on it, which gives the speaker a bunch of extra room to perform. I could have made it more flush if I wanted to use a more shallow screen but at the time I had destroyed the budget for the build on my car and my wife was really starting to get pissed seeing as we had just bought a new house and I had spent way over what I told my wife I was going to spend on the car. Over $20K!

Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

I push my fingers into my eyes......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update - 2023 - Looking to buy 81 Mustang, 82/85/86 Mustang GT, and 79 - 86 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars or convertibles - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
    I built the box for it about 7 years ago so I don't remember what the airspace of the box was exactly. If I remember rightly I measured the bottom of the tire imprint in the body and basically increased the height of the box until I had the correct airspace needed. The way it came out for the JL subwoofer the box was just a smidge taller then the top of the tire well. If I remember rightly it needed around 1.15 cubic foot of airspace in a non-ported box. The reason it sticks up an inch or so taller then that is because I put the factory JL subwoofer screen on it, which gives the speaker a bunch of extra room to perform. I could have made it more flush if I wanted to use a more shallow screen but at the time I had destroyed the budget for the build on my car and my wife was really starting to get pissed seeing as we had just bought a new house and I had spent way over what I told my wife I was going to spend on the car. Over $20K!

Robert
    Ha-ha thanks I understand. Now she's happy you put that into it right?

The wheel well on my 84 does anyone know if mounting a regular 15 inch sub will work with the width the depth and width of it? I was thinking of lining the wheel well with Dynomat and attaching the sub underneath a fiberboard sealing it will it will set on top of wheelwell opening and fasten down somehow making it a sealed box? That way it's also hidden and I would still have a fairly flat floor in my hatch!

Width maybe, depth I seriously doubt it. I also don't know how you would seal that well enough for it to not leak over time.

Update - 2023 - Looking to buy 81 Mustang, 82/85/86 Mustang GT, and 79 - 86 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars or convertibles - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.

Last edited by redse; 12-13-2013 at 04:08 PM.

I need to find the dimensions on these I'll have to check later and do some measuring of the wheelwell also unless someone knows???

I'm assuming they mean 10.5 inches deep???

Box won't be near big enough for a 15.

I was hoping to hid something in there if a 12 inch sub is the biggest I can fit in there I already have 2 Infinity Kappas 10.1 Perfects I could just put in a sub box and mount at the very back then. These give me 20 inches combined woofer area. I thought maybe a 15 inch mite work in there but sounds like it won't. Had these Infinity's in a box behind the seat of my truck and they rock. Just liked a clean look, one of these in the wheel wouldn't be enough. I guess I'll have to find a decent box made for our hatches then and which is better a sealed or ported box???

https://www.foxresto.com/products/vi...eat_Delete_Kit anyone ever see this setup or have any experience with it look's like a really nice setup and would solve of my problems as far as hiding things. Little expensive though?

Quote Originally Posted by redse View Post
    which is better a sealed or ported box???
    Ported versus sealed depends on what the sub wants, not what you want. You can model the speaker in an enclosure program (I use WinISD) and see the response curve a given box type and size give, and you can change box size, port volume, etc. in the program, so you don't have to spend a bunch of time building a dozen sub enclosures to get the sound you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lan View Post
    Ported versus sealed depends on what the sub wants, not what you want. You can model the speaker in an enclosure program (I use WinISD) and see the response curve a given box type and size give, and you can change box size, port volume, etc. in the program, so you don't have to spend a bunch of time building a dozen sub enclosures to get the sound you want.
    You totally lost me!!! lol This was so easy when I was younger everyone either had a Craig Power Play or a Pioneer Super Tuner 8-track and a pair of 6X9 Mind Blower speaker's with their own built in amps and you was done!!! Real loud and crystal clear and felt like the drummer was beating on the back of ur seat!!! Ah good ole day's lol

Let me clear up Big Lan's post - Ported is louder (at the port frequency - typically 40hz) and sealed will play lower frequencies. Ported takes less power to run, sealed more.

I'm being overly general here so all you stereo junkies pipe down! Nobody needs to "correct" me.

Quote Originally Posted by 79Coupe View Post
    Let me clear up Big Lan's post - Ported is louder (at the port frequency - typically 40hz) and sealed will play lower frequencies. Ported takes less power to run, sealed more.

I'm being overly general here so all you stereo junkies pipe down! Nobody needs to "correct" me.
    This is where I always get lost at because home stereo speakers are alway's ported and handle all different types of music but when it comes to car subs I was alway's told ported was what you wanted for Rap, Hip Hop that type of booming bass and for Rock, Jazz etc. you want a sealed box for tighter bass? Can anyone explain why so much difference between home speakers and car subs? Thanks

Just do a sealed box unless you're going to be doing any SPL comps. I'm assuming you want SQ over SPL.

Without getting into too much detail, the speakers and the enclosures are built for different purposes. Home speakers have a lot more room for the speaker and the box and you don't have to worry about wild temerature swings. They are also designed to project sound to say, fill the room.

Car speakers need to work in as small an enviornment as possible and work at 110 degrees as well as 10 below. They also don't need to fill as large an area with sound.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast