Close

Question Thinking of purchasing an '83 GT

Hey guys just joined. I don't own a fox yet unfortunately. One has been sitting in my neighbor's driveway for awhile and it caught my eye a few weeks ago. It's a 1983 body, with what he says is a 1989 engine and five speed trans. He said it was some sort of prototype engine. I think '85 was the last year for the carb engines so I'm a little skeptical. Interior is in decent condition. It has an exhaust leak but that's all i know in terms of mechanical problems. The exterior is in very rough shape. There is significant rot on the roof but i don't think its structural. The front bumper is faded and spotty and has no headlights installed. He has many spare parts including a roof from a different car (red w/ sunroof) a new front bumper, headlights, and other parts. He is asking $2500 which i think is a lot. How much do you guys think labor would cost? I don't have the means or enough knowledge to do it on my own. I would love to have this car but I'm not sure if it's worth it. What do you guys think? How much would you pay? I have more pictures of the rot if anyone would like to see.Name:  037.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  121.4 KBName:  038.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  128.4 KBName:  046.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  102.5 KBName:  041.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  93.3 KB

I, myself, would not touch it for any price. Needs too much work IMHO.

It does need a lot of work. It's disappointing really i feel like if the exterior wasn't SO bad it could be an alright car. Thanks

Offer a $100 and part it out

That roof is a lot of work. Car is probably work about a 1/4 of the asking price.
    Mike

84 Mustang GT Turbo Vert
    86 Mustang GT T-Top
    95 Mustang GT Vert
    05 Mustang GT

Sorry but with rot like that it's a parts car in my eyes.
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

How unfortunate tbh i was gonna buy it just out of excitement i didnt realize how bad it actually was. thanks everyone

is there other rust?
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

yeah he said the drivers side floor pan is rusted through id probably just replace the whole floor pan if i did anything but im not sure i even wanna buy it now :/

Run away from this one, and dont look back. For $2500 you can get a running and driving Fox that will need very little to be a nice looking driver. This car needs a roof, floors, paint, interior....basically everything. You could easily sink $10K into it and that might not even make a dent. If you could do all the work yourself (and enjoyed that sort of thing), and the seller was asking about $500-750 then it might be worth giving it a go, but in your situation this just doesnt sound like the right car.

There are plenty of foxes out there and tons of great deals. With winter almost here there should be even more great opportunities. I would just keep looking.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Thanks I appreciate your input. I realize now how big of a project this would be and it's totally not worth it. Hopefully I can find a fox somewhere else :/

I smell toast
    Last edited by craigerSS; 12-07-2013 at 08:21 AM.
    here's to the freakin' weekend,I'll drink to that