Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 87+ spindles

Default 87+ spindles

I'm looking at upgrading my brakes and wheels. I'm gonna go with the 87+ V8 spindles and was wondering what numbers should be on the parts?
    1985 Mustang GT 5speed LRB with Ford Racing M-6007-X302, Performer RPM, Holley 670 Avenger carb, BBK headers with H-pipe, B&M short throw
    1986 Mustang GT (parts car)
    1986 LX Coupe 4cyl, 4speed, LRB

The spindles will have an E7 part number. Just make sure that the rotors on them are 11" and have the calipers in place, then all of the parts must be correct as the 10" brake parts will not fit on the spindles.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

87-88 Thunderbird Turbocoupe parts are the same - that is what I am running on my 84 GT.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
    The spindles will have an E7 part number. Just make sure that the rotors on them are 11" and have the calipers in place, then all of the parts must be correct as the 10" brake parts will not fit on the spindles.
    So is there a E7 part number on the 4 cyl spindles for the 87+? I want to buy the right parts. If I measure across the V8 87+ rotor it will be 11"?
    1985 Mustang GT 5speed LRB with Ford Racing M-6007-X302, Performer RPM, Holley 670 Avenger carb, BBK headers with H-pipe, B&M short throw

No. The 10" spindles have a much earlier part number.

If the rotors on the spindles are 11" in diameter, and the spindles have an E7 part number, the spindles must be the 1987-93 V8 models
    Jack Hidley

If you measure the diameter of the rotor to figure out what size you're dealing with, the 11" rotor is not actually a full 11". It is something like 10.9".

The 10" rotor is actually a little over 10". It is something like 10.1".
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thanks guys that is the info I needed. Jack...I read your posts on Coral and they are awesome. I like to research all my mods as fully as I can so that I dont end up spending my limited budget needlessly. Thanks for taking the time. That goes for all the techs here.
    Last edited by Tracer; 11-21-2013 at 01:35 PM.

The part of the spindle which the strut bolts to is thinner on the '87-'93 V8 spindle Mustang; '87/'88 T-bird TC) than the 4 cylinder and '78-'86 Fox anything (except SVO) spindle.

Unfortunately, I don't have a set handy to measure but if you measure your 11" rotor spindle's strut mount, the '87 V8 version will be thinner.

D
    Last edited by Dean_T; 11-25-2013 at 11:55 PM.
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

The "10-inch" spindle measures ~1.00" thick where the strut mounts to it.
    The "11-inch" (1987-93 5.0 Mustang/1987-88 Turbocoupe) spindle measures ~0.75".

The holes (for the strut mount bolts) are also further apart in the 11" spindle. The universal 1979-93 struts (that come with spacers for the thinner aero V8 Mustang/TC spindles) have a slotted upper spindle mount hole.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T View Post
    The part of the spindle which the strut bolts to is thinner on the '87-'93 V8 spindle Mustang; '87/'88 T-bird TC) than the 4 cylinder and '78-'86 Fox anything (except SVO) spindle.

Unfortunately, I don't have a set handy to measure but if you measure your 11" rotor spindle's strut mount, the '87 V8 version will be thinner.

D

I'm sort of trying to sort this all out...Dean_T you almost got me where I wanted to go with this (and FoxChassis). But I'm wondering if it's worth creating a sticky thread for All Foxbody Spindles. In a simple list form. I've been trying to find information all over the place and centralize it. So please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, but to build off of Dean's info above:

Foxbody Spindle List

- 10" Rotor cars: These spindles have the thickest portion of the spindle that mount to struts. All Foxes from '78-'86. Any naturally aspirated 4cyl Mustangs '87 and up. '83-'88 Cougars and Thunderbirds (unless it's a Turbo Coupe).
    60mm single piston calipers

- 11" Rotor cars option 1: These spindles have a thinner portion where the spindle mounts to the struts. Strut bolts are further apart than earlier foxes. All '87-'93 V8 Mustangs. '87-88 Turbo Coupe Thunderbirds
    60mm single piston calipers, except 93 Cobra R which has dual piston caliper - essentially a peak under the covers to SN95 features

- 11" Rotor cars option 2: Spindle thickness at strut mounting point and bolt spacing = to 10" rotor cars. These cars have a different relationship of the boring depth in the spindle, thus creating a larger diameter than the other two spindles. Maximum Motorsports has ball joint adapters to remedy this (sort of like sleeves). '84-'92 Lincoln Mark VIIs. '84-'86 SVO Mustangs. '82-'83 Lincoln continentals
    73mm single piston calipers

Please anyone help correct me if I'm wrong. I just want a central place for this info. The linked sites below are my primary sources double checking info for Dean_T's post.

https://www.coolcats.net/modifying/11inchbrake.html

https://www.maximummotorsports.com/t...o_spindle.aspx

http://www.mustangandfords.com/proje...-wheels-brakes
    Last edited by Str8sixfan; 12-15-2019 at 11:44 AM.

For the 10" spindle, its all cougar/tbirds from 80-88 except for the 87-88 turbo coupe.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Under option #!.

1993 Mustang Cobra do not have dual piston calipers. They have the same single 60mm caliper that almost all 1987-93 V8 Mustangs have.

Note that the 60mm caliper in the case of option #1 is a different caliper than cars which have the 10" brakes. These use a different 60mm caliper, pads, hoses, etc.

Option #2

The SVO/Lincoln spindles are the same thickness as the Option 1 spindles with the same bolt spacing.

The ball joint taper is the same as almost all other Ford ball joint tapers (1/. The difference is that the spindle boss is bored deeper, so the hole has a larger diameter.

One of the MM spindle links goes through all of the geometry differences of these spindles.

1993 Mustang Cobra R

In some sense, this car isn't a Fox Mustang as it has a number of pull ahead parts installed on it. 1994 spindles, 1994 Mustang Cobra rotors, nonproduction 1994 Mustang Cobra dual piston calipers, etc.
    Jack Hidley

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    For the 10" spindle, its all cougar/tbirds from 80-88 except for the 87-88 turbo coupe.
    You're right...I don't know how I missed that...I'll go back and edit it

Under option #!.

1993 Mustang Cobra do not have dual piston calipers. They have the same single 60mm caliper that almost all 1987-93 V8 Mustangs have.

Note that the 60mm caliper in the case of option #1 is a different caliper than cars which have the 10" brakes. These use a different 60mm caliper, pads, hoses, etc.

Option #2

The SVO/Lincoln spindles are the same thickness as the Option 1 spindles with the same bolt spacing.

The ball joint taper is the same as almost all other Ford ball joint tapers (1/8. The difference is that the spindle boss is bored deeper, so the hole has a larger diameter.

One of the MM spindle links goes through all of the geometry differences of these spindles.

1993 Mustang Cobra R

In some sense, this car isn't a Fox Mustang as it has a number of pull ahead parts installed on it. 1994 spindles, 1994 Mustang Cobra rotors, nonproduction 1994 Mustang Cobra dual piston calipers, etc.
    Thanks. When I get back home I will try and edit it, rather than try and do on my phone right now. So looks like I was confusing the 93 Cobra for the Cobra R. This is all research that I'm trying to help sort out why my current Fairmont work I'm doing isn't working like a 93 Cobra. I have same rear disc setup currently.

I have a different 60mm front piston right now it would seem, 10" rotor instead of 11". Also, the 93 Cobra has a different booster...as I understand, the pushrod in the 93 cobra booster has a threaded adjustable end. I do have a 1" bore MC ( M1858 ) but not the Cobra 1" bore.
    Last edited by Str8sixfan; 12-15-2019 at 11:45 AM.

Yes, the 1993 Mustang Cobra booster is totally unique.

All Mustang vacuum booster have an adjustable pushrod on the m/c side.
    Jack Hidley

Yes, the 1993 Mustang Cobra booster is totally unique.

All Mustang vacuum booster have an adjustable pushrod on the m/c side.

So to keep track at home...how many different boosters are there? Four?

A - those paired with 10" front discs like my Fairmont - fixed pushrod
    B - those paired with the 11" front discs 87 up V8 Mustangs (also SN95?) - adjustable pushrod
    C - those paired with SVO/Mark VII/Continentals Master Cylinder - adjustable pushrod
    D - those paired with 93 Cobras - adjustable pushrod

Also, if I call Maximum Motorsports Tech line this week, can I request to talk to you?

accidental duplicate post of that above
    Last edited by Str8sixfan; 12-15-2019 at 03:29 PM.

By no way is this the Definitive Answer to ALL Boosters question you posted up above, but here is the information that I have on my parts list that goes from 1980-89.

Name:  Booster Part Numbers.PNG
Views: 954
Size:  47.1 KB

As you can see there are essentially 4 boosters listed.

E1BZ-2005-E
    E2ZZ-2005-A
    E1BZ-2005-B which was later updated to FOZZ-2005-A

The boosters do not really break down into the categories you mentioned as the E1BZ B unit was used on the 10" front brakes as well as the later 11" front brakes of the Aero Cars. Obviously this list doesn't show the 1979 listings or anything after 1989 much less the 1993 Cobra unit.

Here is what I show in regards to Fairmont Boosters.

Name:  Fairmont Boosters.PNG
Views: 944
Size:  24.8 KB
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

There are four or five Fox boosters in Mustangs that I'm aware of.

Booster diameter Booster thickness Number of diaphragms
    Years Application mm "
    1979-85 All 220 4.26 1
    1986-93 2.3l NA 220 4.26 1
    1984-86 SVO 152 2
    1986-93 V6/V8/LTD 152 6.5 2
    1993 Cobra/R 205 6.5 2

The 2nd booster is not used on convertible cars.

The 4th booster is used on 2.3l convertible applications.

The 1st and 2nd boosters are probably exactly the same as each other, but I've never had a chance to confirm that.

All of the above boosters have an adjustable pushrod.

Edit Why is this website removing spaces that I put into the post!!!!!! It refuses to accept the Tab key
    Jack Hidley

There are four or five Fox boosters in Mustangs that I'm aware of.

Booster diameter Booster thickness Number of diaphragms
    Years Application mm "
    1979-85 All 220 4.26 1
    1986-93 2.3l NA 220 4.26 1
    1984-86 SVO 152 2
    1986-93 V6/V8/LTD 152 6.5 2
    1993 Cobra/R 205 6.5 2

The 2nd booster is not used on convertible cars.

The 4th booster is used on 2.3l convertible applications.

The 1st and 2nd boosters are probably exactly the same as each other, but I've never had a chance to confirm that.

All of the above boosters have an adjustable pushrod.

Edit Why is this website removing spaces that I put into the post!!!!!! It refuses to accept the Tab key
    I can tell you my 1978 Fairmont booster DOES NOT have an adjustable pushrod...so maybe that's one downside to being that first fox out of the gate. But I also had a buddy who owns a classic iron yard check on one of his foxbody mustangs he had in the yard (4cyl car) and it wasn't adjustable either. I just got done shooting a YouTube video on this minutes ago. But the way I explained the boosters isn't exactly inaccurate. I described the three conditions as different boosters. I can put in some sub text to help clear up anything I say worst case scenario.

Do you know if the Mark VII booster is the same as the SVO (since all the other pieces seem to be)? This would be my assumption.
    Last edited by Str8sixfan; 12-15-2019 at 05:09 PM.

According to David LaRocque's SVO book, the booster part number is E2SC-2005-AA. According to him, this is from a 1983 Fairmont application.

However my research says that the S in the part number in 1982 indicates that the booster was originally designed for a Thunderbird. The 1978-83 Fairmont parts used the letter B to indicate that they were designed for that car. This jives with Trey's booster list from above. Note that all of the early boosters have a B as their third digit? That means that they were originally designed for a Fairmont.
    Jack Hidley

Most of the SVO brake parts that were pulled from a Lincoln, came from a 1982-83 Continental, not a Mark VII. The Mark VII didn't come out until 1984, so no parts could really have come from it as the SVO came out in 1984. The Mark VII parts might be the same as the Continental parts. I'm not sure.
    Jack Hidley

The earliest booster part number in Trey's list from above is 1981 (E1). It is entirely possible that 1978-80 Fairmont booster had a fixed pushrod. Then in 1981 Ford changed the booster to have an adjustable pushrod. In the early Fox years, there were a lot of parts revisions going on.
    Jack Hidley

This is what my catalog shows for the Lincolns from 80-89.

Name:  Lincoln Boosters.PNG
Views: 945
Size:  12.3 KB

Name:  Mark Boosters.PNG
Views: 939
Size:  5.9 KB

According to this at least the SVO booster is not the same as either the Continental nor the Mark VII.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

The Y and Z in the 4th digit of the boosters in Trey's last post indicate that these part numbers came from a customer service division. The SVO booster part number I have above has a C in the fourth digit, meaning it came from Chassis Engineering. These part numbers could still cross to each other in one direction. Ford has some very complicated rules about allowing this to happen.
    Jack Hidley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast