Close

Default 1985 Mustang GT convertible -automatic

Thought I'd try posting her here again. I really want to find her a home with someone who can appreciate her.

For sale: 1985 Mustang GT convertible - approx. 95,000 miles - asking $3200. Location: Cathedral City, CA.

The car is not showroom but it is a fun, nice-looking car made for cruising. I have owned it for four years and have well over $4000 of parts and labor in it, not to mention many hours of my own time. Unlike a lot of other 5.0 Fox-Body Mustangs, this one has not been modified (with the exception of the electric fan). The emissions system is intact and functioning normally. I have taken care of the car and fixed problems as they have come up. The engine runs well and does not burn any oil. It is 5.0 L automatic with Central Fuel Injection. I recently had the exhaust system redone and the Flowmaster mufflers sound fantastic. The AOD tranny is also original. It doesn’t shift seamlessly but there is a lot of life left in it. It goes in and out of reverse and park without a problem and shifts fine if you don't trounce it. It has an updated 1988 valve body installed. The paint is in good shape and is mostly original. There is no major rust (this is a solid Florida - California car) but a previous owner did some bodywork on the lower part of the driver’s door and the bondo has cracked. This will need to be redone, but unless you are close to the car you don’t notice it. I’ve had the car in parades and it looks great. The top is good. It was replaced just before I bought the car. Interior is an 8 out of 10 - there is some wear and a couple of small stains but no major rips or big stains. It’s very presentable. The car is currently registered and I drive it around town on weekends without any problems. It has never left me stranded. It is currently smogged until July 2015 and registered until July 2014. Most of the emissions related sensors have been replaced. I don’t have receipts for everything but the car speaks for itself. Title in hand.

New:

front brakes and rotors (cross-drilled and slotted)
    front brake lines
    radiator (high performance 3 core)
    electric fan (black magic kit with DCC controller)
    serpentine drive belt
    rear brakes and drums
    master cylinder
    front struts
    rear quad shocks
    hydraulic top lines
    rear speakers (Kenwood)
    Pony wheels
    tires
    O2 sensor and other sensors
    water pump (high performance)
    voltage regulator
    coil
    plugs
    wires
    cap & rotor
    fuel filter
    injectors
    fuel pressure regulator
    floor mats
    Flowmaster mufflers
    exhaust pipes (polished sections original)
    California catalytic converter
    air injection tube

Parts not installed but included with car:

130 v alternator (w installation kit)
    Kenwood stereo (new in box)
    other misc parts

Issues:

lower driver door as previously mentioned
    heater core bypassed due to leak
    AC does work (weak though) but AC clutch sticks so I don't run it
    fluid leaks (not big but I do keep a pan under it)
    passenger rear window has stripped bushing (cheap fix)

The location is Cathedral City, CA.

If you’re seriously interested, let’s talk and then I will send you additional pics if this sounds like the car for you. I am looking for a cash deal but I may consider a similar value trade for a decent motorcycle. I’m particularly looking for a Honda Hawk GT (NT650) or Buell. For an outright sale, I would need a $500 deposit, but we can discuss the particulars at that time. Shipping would be on your dime, but I would work with your shipper to make sure the car gets picked up in a timely manner.

If interested, PM me - thanks!

***I'm having some issues with my pics so I'll add them in a separate post.***
    Stock 1985 GT convertible, auto with CFI. Formerly owned an 86 GT convertible.

Pics (hopefully):

There are more in my album.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Your story sounds a lot like mine. Lots of work put into the car because we like our car, not because we are trying to make a buck down the road. I hope you find a good home for that car. I am trying to find one for mine. I'm stumped given that i am selling mine for less than what some people pay for a roller. Good luck to you.

Your car caught my eye. I came across it on CL too. I really like it but there's no way I can bring a third car home - especially since I don't exactly have a long line of people making outrageous offers on the GT.

That's a nice looking car... What kind of fluid leaks and how bad are they?
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

None of the leaks are major. The fluid leaks are oil, coolant and transmission fluid. The oil is probably the main seal. It's very minor in my opinion. The coolant leak I really can't figure out. Seems like it shouldn't be too hard to pin point, right? The car has a new water pump and T-stat housing... neither appears to be leaking. The transmission fluid leak is a small drip where the TV rod mechanism goes into the transmission. I don't think the pan is leaking. I had that off last year. I haven't tried any stop-leak additives but a mechanic friend told me that might work. None of the leaks have been large enough to concern me though. If I had done a full power train restoration, I would expect zero leaks but this is the original power train and fluid leaks are not uncommon.

I'm still on the fence about selling this car but part of me still wants to move on to another project, so if anyone is interested, shoot me an offer that you think is appropriate and I'll definitely consider it. Private message would be best. Thanks!

Well, she sold! I ended up resorting to Evil Bay but I found a motor head like the rest of us who wanted her. This was a chapter of my life that I never though would be closed by my own hand. The silver lining is that I now have a restored 1989 Honda Hawk GT (my very first motorcycle back in "the day") in my garage. Mustangs have been in my blood since I was 17. I'll be back.