Close

Default Converting 1984 5.0 HO LX AOD to 5-speed ?

What all does it take to switch this out, if tranny ever messes up I want to convert! Anyone have like a part's list? I could keep my eye out for part's here and there then when I run across a decent deal!!! Thanks in advance

does it have the throttle body injection? id swap that out at the same time

should just need a trans, bell housing, clutch fork, clutch kit, flywheel, cable, pedals, shifter, pilot bearing. im sure you can google it to get an exact parts list as im probably forgetting something
    Looking for a Fox wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    does it have the throttle body injection? id swap that out at the same time

should just need a trans, bell housing, clutch fork, clutch kit, flywheel, cable, pedals, shifter, pilot bearing. im sure you can google it to get an exact parts list as im sure im probably forgetting something
    It's got the good ole carb!!!

I think someone said u had to use a different crossmember for the transmission also for the clutch pedal set-up u have to cut the floor where the original pedals went thru or they use the same holes? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redse View Post
    I think someone said u had to use a different crossmember for the transmission also for the clutch pedal set-up u have to cut the floor where the original pedals went thru or they use the same holes? Thanks
    No and no.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

The firewall shouldn't need any modifications. The hole next to the brake booster for the clutch cable
    should have a plastic cap in it. (Or in the case of my AOD '85 vert, the speedo cable…)

The usual method is to drop the steering column and swap out the entire pedal assembly. There's
    a jumper plug tied to the brace that comes up from the transmission tunnel, that gets replaced with
    the cable from the clutch safety switch. If you have cruise, there's another jumper under the left
    side of the dash, that gets replaced with the cable from the cruise control clutch cancel switch, and
    the vacuum hose to the cruise servo gets teed to the dump valve on the clutch pedal.

The T5 reverse light harness with it's neutral safety jumper replaces the AOD neutral safety/reverse
    light harness under the car.

The AOD transmission crossmember needs to be swapped out, or the welds ground off the tubes and
    move the crossmember forward, then tack weld. If the car doesn't already have the double hump
    crossmember, this would be a good time to install one. The transmission mount on the T5 is about 2"
    forward of where it is on the AOD.

The exhaust hanger bracket at the transmission mount, if you're using it, is different on 5-speed cars
    since the transmission mounts are in different places.

You'll also need the "hump" that goes on the transmission tunnel after you cut the hole for the shifter,
    and of course both upper AND lower boots and retainers.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune