Close

Default Exploded View - SVO Console Switches - PICS!

So I found some SVO switches on Craigslist with a hacked up harness for a decent price so I can re-purpose them in my Capri. I have 4 total - One works as it should, one does nothing and the other 2 power my stuff but the lights don't work...so I had to tinker...

I know it's "just a switch" but it's awesome to see how this particular one works...lol

The base of the switch is made of 2 halves held together with clips and covered with a trim plate...

Here's my good switch - cleaned, re-labeled and ready to go:

You can see the trim plate folded over - top and bottom:

This shows the 2 bottom clips (there are 4 total - 2 top, 2 bottom):

The clips just pop off using a small screwdriver - hold on to them as they will fly off:

The 2 halves together with 1 clip in the frame:

Here is the actual "switch" itself - pretty cool...This would be in the "ON" position...the bar just "see-saws" the switch on and off making contact with the nub on the right...see next 2 pics for better reference...This switch is super tight and clicks REALLY nice! lol (Left to right - Ground, power out, power in)

Here is the switch in the body...in the "OFF" position:

"ON":

Here is the actual "rocker" part of the switch...it's got a spring loaded rod in the middle that helps give a nice "CLICK" on and off:

The switch that did nothing actually works...but the rod is broken not allowing it to function properly...it's loose and sloppy:

Here's a busted light:

And the sloppy switch mechanicals - I was able bend the tabs to keep the "see-saw" in place - along with a good rocker this switch works good now:

I'm hoping to be able to just soldier on new lights for the one's that don't work and I'll try to figure out a new rod for the one rocker in hopes of having 4 good switches. Pretty interesting I though...hopefully it's helpful for someone else. Enjoy!

Small update...my new LED's came early! Whoo-Hoo. I originally got some from Radio Shack but realized after I got them home they were only good for like 3.6V. There is no room for an external resistor so I had to find some with the resistor built in. A bit of a pain but I finally found some...

After some marking, cutting and gentle persuasion I got them in place and soldiered on...I have tested them as well and they work awesome (no pics yet)

Still have the other 2 to do...even though they work I figure since they are out why not replace 26 y/o bulbs! Hope to finish this whole project soon...

These are cool posts ... thanks for the explanation and great pics! Are you just testing here? I hope you post in the Electrical forum later.
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

Mike, great write-up!!!! Curious though, what did you use for the relabeling and what was the source and part number for the LED's??
    Ausie, Aussie, Aussie
    Oi, Oi, Oi

84 1C SVO "Blackie the Wonderbeater" (DECEASED!!!!)
    84 9L SVO T-TOP (under restoration)
    84 1C SVO T-TOP (Deceased)
    86 2R SVO (roller, future pro-tourer)

Blog Entries

Also quite interested in the source of the LED's. Nice work. Small projects like this add up to a car with a level of detail that is impressive.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

You sir are a rock star! Love the detail and pictures! Good job!
    Last edited by 79mustangcobra; 01-22-2014 at 11:28 AM.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371