Close

Default New here, Rescued 86 SVO

Hello All

i am currently an future owner of a 1986 9L SVO Non Comp Prep. A little bit on how i found the car:
    I got stationed at Ft. Bragg an was just driving around on my daily activities when i saw that little scoop peeking out between some weeds behind a local garage. The cars has been sitting for 11 months. I inquired about the car and the owner said he was going to restore it but lost interest. It is 100% complete and will run with new battery (and a through cleaning and tune). The guy said he wanted 4k for it but i talked him down to 3,500. Later that month I deployed and so here i am still deployed. I am excited to come home and get my hands dirty!! I am still looking for ideas on how to go with this car. Should I do a Junk Yard speed demon or should i restore it to it's 100% stock glory? Any input is appreciated.

Nice to be here!!!

Congratulations on your Future purchase!

I hope all goes well with your deployment and you make it home safe and sound to complete the purchase of your new to you SVO.

In my honest opinion I would leave the SVO as stock and original as possible. I am not sure if you mean the car is a Comp Prep model or it's a standard model by your "Non Comp Prep" title, but either way if the car is mostly stock and original I would leave it that way as there are fewer and fewer left every year. If the car is a true Comp Prep model than even more of a reason to restore it to stock condition and keep it as original as possible as that will help it retain the most resale value and honestly they are just cool cars!

If you spend any time here on FEP, you will find that I am not a purist or even normally a stock guy, but the SVO's are rare, unique, and cool as original stock cars, especially the Comp Prep models! Either way, it's will be yours soon and you can decide what direction is best for you to take the car.

Good Luck with the SVO and welcome to FEP!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Nice. Always liked the SVO. I too would try to keep it as stock as possible. Good luck.