Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Well, I've been doing a lot of thinking about the Dominator, but not any wrenching. Hopefully I can make that up to the car during Thanksgiving break. The motor and transmission need to come out still. A donor car we are looking at has 5-lug axels which is cool, but... What wheels to put on the car? I like the look of the original wheels for GT's, but they're all 4-lug. On the other hand, I suppose we could just stick with what's on the car already. Motor wise, I read an article about a 399 HP 5.0(roller cam) that cost about $1,000. I want the Dominator to have performance to back up its name. I'm thinking roller cam MAF motor with a cam, heads, LT headers and an intake. I'd also like a WC T5 and an 8.8" rear with 3.73's. As you can tell, I want what everyone else wants. A quick, but street able and reliable car. Car would be converted to carb to make it look like an 83 motor. I'm not knowledgeable enough to do part shopping or even to know what I want or need. Input is appreciated.

Drove myself to the shop after school today. Changed wheels, removed hood, removed valve covers and began to prep engine for pulling. Doesn't sound like a lot, but for a complete novice like myself, I'm pretty proud. Picture to come later.
    I'm on Thanksgiving break, so hopefully the project will gain some momentum.

You are doing great. Keep reading articles and such. The car will be awesome.
    HARVESTER OF EYES

DAMN IT! LET THE RABBITS WEAR GLASSES, SAID THE CRIES OF THE CARROT.
    YOU SHOULD NEVER SMOKE IN PAJAMAS, YOU COULD CATCH ON FIRE AND BURN YOUR FACE.

Any progress updates?
    Steve
    "Taillights in Your Face Jack? You've just been Dominated!"
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    # Link to Facebook Twister Mustang Fans #
    Current Stangs: Stangless
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

No progress updates as of yet. I got a lot of tools for Christmas, so you'll be seeing me put them to good use. Getting the car going is my New Year's resolution and I am motivated. Still need to find a motor/transmission for the car.

This for sale near me. It would be a roller cam motor as 85 was the first year they used them.

http://topeka.craigslist.org/pts/4203273840.html

85 HO 5.0/302 engine parts/ 96 5.8L/351w engine parts - $250 (meriden)

I am looking to sell this 89 engine all as one or part it out. It is not a complete engine though. This engine ran when it was taken out and has been stored out of the elements in my garage covered up. It has only been in there since the beginning of summer. The mileage on the motor was around 130,000. The lower intake is off of an 86 Thunderbird. I am still trying to get the other cast codes. The Block looks like it is from an 85 ford, not sure if it is a mustang.

Engine......heads, block, oil pan, intake upper and lower, injectors, distributor, clutch fan- $250

85 5.0 block, pistons and crank- E5AE-C3B- $75
    86 5.0 upper intake-$50
    86 5.0 lower intake RF-E6SE-9K461-D2A-$50
    85 5.0 heads-$50
    ? 5.0 Clutch fan-$25
    ? 5.0 Distributor-25$

96 E150 351w parts
    5.8L engine mounts-$25
    5.8l 2 heads (2 broken bolt in head from intake) -75$
    5.8l lower intake-50$
    5.8l clutch fan-$20

Any question or need more exact part numbers or pictures, please call or text. 785 249 8089.
    Steve
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by Michael99V6 View Post
    No progress updates as of yet. I got a lot of tools for Christmas, so you'll be seeing me put them to good use. Getting the car going is my New Year's resolution and I am motivated. Still need to find a motor/transmission for the car.
    Was the old motor and transmission trash? I don't remember that being talked about. Could always drop this in..... http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ngine-for-sale!
    1982 Dominator GT
    *1st Dominator ever sold and
    autographed by Jackie Stewart *
    1993 Corvette
    2005 Roush Mustang
    2008 Escape
    (DD)

Quote Originally Posted by bull-vette View Post
    Was the old motor and transmission trash? I don't remember that being talked about. Could always drop this in..... http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ngine-for-sale!
    '
    I'd do a 03-04 Cobra swap over a new 5.0... however, if you're paying...

Serious note-
    Original motor is getting pulled soon and we will go through it. The carb was off the car and someone stole the hood-scoop off of it. To get it back on the road, we will put a different motor in it. Hopefully one with performance to back up the Dominator name. Original motor may be rebuilt far in the future.

FEP Super Member anthonydalrymple's Avatar

Eek! The rust.... Keep working on it & looking forward to seeing your progress!
    '89 5.0 5-speed 'vert, seeing rust for the 1st time in it's life as well as 4,500+ elevation....

Update.
    Motor and transmission out. Numbers matching, 159683 on car, block and T-5. Sweet. Also got a Marti Report. Now to start fixing things and ultimately make it run like a bat out of hell.

Motor & transmission

Motor & transmission coming out together.

Car free of motor & transmission.

Marti Report

Car outside with motor in.

I conquered the Dominator. Show car in background.

Motor & transmission out. Some sweet rides in the background

Block #

Transmission #

Sounds awesome.
    Last edited by 99GTMichael; 01-22-2014 at 09:56 PM.

Sweet! Love the progress pics! Looking forward to seeing this beast come to life! Sorry for the date confusion! Date is actually May 10th! June 14th conflicts with the Shelby Event in Tulsa that I have already committed to attend.
    Steve
    Previously owned:

It looks like you're moving along nicely, keep up the good work. It sucks the the original motor is in such a poor state, but the important thing is you have it. It can always be rebuilt later on down the line, but if it's gone it's gone. Those are some awesome cars in the background, are they yours?

Anyway, great progress so far. You will be Dominating people on the street before you know it!
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Update... because I know you guys REALLY like updates. We found a donor. The car has title issues and we're taking the motor, trans & interior. Along with the car we also got two transmissions plus the one in the car.
    Motor (1989 hydraulic roller)-
    Trickflow stage 1 cam (.499/.510)
    Edelbrock RPM Airgap intake
    Ported E7 heads
    MSD Streetfire ignition
    MSD wires
    Flowtech longtube headers 1 5/8" primaries to 3"
    Five-lug all around
    UPR Caster/camper plates
    New clutch cable w/ billet clutch quadrant
    8.8" rear with 3.55's
    Some sort of Edelbrock Carb

Dad drove it around the block and says it runs like s**t, but we'll fix it. The exhaust is rigged up really poorly and doesn't sound very good. The car's interior is almost if not all stock. I'm stoked that I get a factory radio. They just right compared to aftermarket stuff.

The donor may be used in a future project for us.

Going to the shop today since we have some nice weather. Dad and I are attending the 50th Anniversary in Las Vegas, so we have to start getting the '68 ready for that. I'm hoping move the black '83 donor into storage along with another '83 donor that we picked up. I will get a picture of it. I'm working on taking the front valance (think that's what it's called) and fenders off, but I have no idea what I'm doing. Dad bought me the '83 Ford shop manuals and they've been a big help. Dad and I are deciding if we want to have the engine bay sandblasted. Any thoughts on this?

is that wheel 4 lug or 5 lug ? Havent seen that wheel in 4 lugs.
    Always Stay Humble. -Sinister-

Worked on Dominator over the weekend. Removed front end and fenders. Plus, got engine attached to stand and drained a ridiculous amount of water out of it. Not looking good for it.

You are off to a good start and with Spring Break coming up I hope to see some more progress on the engine bay. Hard work and attention to detail will pay off later! Think about the day it rolls out of the body shop and how excited you will be to start putting it all back together!

Great Job! Love to see progress on a Dominator!
    Steve
    Previously owned:

Quick but important side not. None of this would be possible without the help of my Dad, 83GTJIM. He has literally given me everything for this project. The car, a space to work, tools, knowledge and most importantly, time to help me. Without him I wouldn't know what a Dominator is, much less a Foxbody Mustang. Thanks Dad!

Hope all is well
    HARVESTER OF EYES

DAMN IT! LET THE RABBITS WEAR GLASSES, SAID THE CRIES OF THE CARROT.
    YOU SHOULD NEVER SMOKE IN PAJAMAS, YOU COULD CATCH ON FIRE AND BURN YOUR FACE.

I had to pull the boy off of the Dominator project for a while to help get the 68 Fastback ready to drive to Las Vegas for the 50th Mustang celebration. That's over now and we have recovered from the drive so we can get focused on the Dominator again!
    Name:  IMG_1859.JPG
Views: 352
Size:  137.2 KB Name:  IMG_3980.JPG
Views: 349
Size:  124.3 KB Name:  IMG_2441.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  102.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I haven't had the chance to work on the car for quite some time. I get out of school on the 28th so expect more progress after then. Very excited to get to work on it. This car is going to be awesome when I finish it.

Glad to hear it! Look forward to updates and seeing this car in person!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael99V6 View Post
    I haven't had the chance to work on the car for quite some time. I get out of school on the 28th so expect more progress after then. Very excited to get to work on it. This car is going to be awesome when I finish it.
    Steve
    Previously owned:

Glad to hear you're gonna be back on the Dominator soon, that will be a very cool car when you're done. In the meantime, do you have anymore pics of that 68 Fastback? The interior looks awesome, how about the body (it's in my favorite color)?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

TopGear85- Here are a couple of pics of our 68 Fastback, highland green J code (302 4v) 4 speed Bullitt replica and our trip to Las Vegas for the 50th Celebration.
    Name:  IMG_1937.JPG
Views: 343
Size:  113.5 KB Name:  IMG_2597.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  148.4 KB Name:  IMG_2570.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  102.6 KB Name:  IMG_1879.JPG
Views: 339
Size:  109.7 KB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast