Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 1983 Dominator GT Restoration

Well, the car belonging to PIGBOY is now mine. My Dad(83GTJIM) and I now have a Dominator and a good assortment of parts in our shop. I'll be posting a lot of pictures later this week when I get together with Dad. Now, some stories about the car. I heard about it from Dad, he told me that he used to have a black t-top '83 GT that he made into a Dominator with a kit from Lee's Summit. He showed me the PIGBOY's thread, I AM IN. I fell in love with the car instantly. I'm a fan of the earlier four-eye's and this one was even sweeter because of the rarity and the kick ass DOMINATOR stickers. I bothered EVERYONE in my family about buying it for me, but no one was really interested. So, I kept on bothering and eventually Dad and I had a serious talk. We agreed to buy the car at long last. He worked out the logistics with PIGBOY. We left last Friday (11-1-13) to go get the car. We left Springfield, Missouri and headed to Parker, Colorado. We picked up the car from PIGBOY in Elizabeth in a Wal-Mart parking lot and headed out to Howard, Colorado to go and see about getting some parts from a guy with an '83 GT t-top (***NOTE*** This story is WAAAY longer, but I'm probably going to either let Dad tell it, or take some other time to type it out). Long story short, we made a KILLING in parts of the car. Including, 1983 Sport Seats with the netted halo headrests(The best part of the deal), the rust-free hatch with good condition 3-piece spoiler, entire back seat, carpet in good condition and lots of interior trim. All this and more for 125$! Talk about a great deal, huh? So, by now we're heading back home to Springfield. I got to drive the F-250 and trailer from Carthage, Missouri back to Springfield. Good experience for me. The car is now back in our shop along with some of our four-eye's. The car is rough, it needs a lot of TLC and some not so-TLC work done to it. I'm not a mechanic, or anything. Complete car novice, in fact. I'm just turned 16 years old and this car was a birthday present. I'm a ridiculously lucky "punk-kid" (as Dad calls me) with a sweet project car. I think our first step is to strip it out and have the body worked on. I'll stop the first post here and probably continue tomorrow. Wish me luck on the restoration!
    Oh, and any information some of the Dominator experts or decoding guys want, I'm happy to provide.

The Dominator and I in Elizabeth Colorado. (11-2-13)

The Dominator and I in our Shop. (11-3-13)

The Dominator's profile in Colorado. (11-2-13)

Nice score & welcome, I remember that car from Howard, still kicking myself for not getting the seats..
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

Congratulations on your purchase great to see another rare car in the Springfield area I think we met at Anzac this year with your dad, I had the red capri Anything you all need let me know always glad to help if I can. We are starting to see some great fox body's in our area very exciting

Oh and by the way HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Congratulation on a sweet ride.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Great purchase, congrats! Can't wait to see some progress photos on it and see it back in action, Dominating like it should!
    Chris Lott
    '81 Cobra T-Top - Black
    '85 Dominator GT - Black, 24k miles
    '85 Predator GT302R #150R - Light Regatta Blue
    '85 Predator GT302 Convertible #119 - White w/blue stripes For Sale
    '86 Texas DPS Mustang (Unit # unknown) - undergoing resto

Very cool purchase. Can't wait to follow the restore thread. Congrats. ken is great to deal with.
    Stan
    1986 Ford Mustang Saleen #80 Gray/gray
    1986 Mercury Capri ASC McLaren Coupe#20 Black/silver, gone.
    1985 GT Silver/gray T-top car, gone
    1985 Canyon Red Turbo coupe, gone

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Congratulations and Happy Birthday!!
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

What a great birthday present. Look forward to following on the progress on your Dominator.
    Current: 81 Cobra T Top, 79 Cobra.
    Past Toys: 1964 Falcon Vert, 1966 Mustang(owned twice), 70 Conv, 1978 Mustang II(first car), 80 Cobra, 81 Cobra, 82 GT T-Top, 85 GT 3,900 miles, 85 Predator/Twister 5S-0149, 86 Saleen 177, 86 SVO, 86 Mustang GT, 86 Mustang GT Vert, 87 Mustang GT, 89 Mustang Notch, 2003 Mustang GT Roush Clone, 2006 Mustang V6(Stainless Works LT's, MBRP cat back, 3.73's, tb, cai), and my favorite 2002 Mustang GT MPH 302 stroker, KB 2.2, TKO 500 640rwhp/591torque.

Congrats!
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Small update, myself and a friend are planning to strip out the interior of the car on Friday. I'll take pictures of the damage the body has. I have no idea if it's cosmetic or serious, but Dad thinks it's more on the serious side and it sure doesn't look pretty. On a lighter note, I feel like I need to refer to the car as something other than "car". Should I give it a name?

Absolutely you should name that car all mine have names the 69 camaro is Josie, the 1986 RS is Caprice, the white eurocoupe is Mickey, the 01 Vette is Betty. My daughter drives my old 02 dura max she named him Ben and my white 06 duramax we call cracker so yes I think you should name her

Just call it "the Dominator." When a dealership in the 80's comes up with a wicked go-fast package and gives it a cool name like "Dominator" calling it anything else seems disrespectful (to the car). Besides doesn't that just flow well...I'm gonna go drive "the Dominator." I have to run to the grocery store, I think I'll take "the Dominator." I can't believe I'm 16 and my first car is "the Dominator." Etc, Etc. (Lol)
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Congratulations, we love pictures.
    .....Cobra venom stops the Heartbeat^^^^------.

Congrats on joining the Dominator Fanatics Society! Look forward to watching your progress! I agree it should be commonly referred to as "The Dominator!"
    Steve
    "Taillights in Your Face Jack? You've just been Dominated!"
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    # Link to Facebook Twister Mustang Fans #
    Current Stangs: Stangless
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

Awesome car, good luck! Keep us posted and mark everything for your own sake when taking things apart, that was my newbie mistake lol get zip lock bags and mark every screw! and show us lots of pics!! :-)
    1986 Mustang LX 5.0- Project

since the car is a man call him. DOM its short and easy. his name is for your use anyways. others will look at it as dominator but you get tired of saying the whole word so DOM is easy. just a thought. i am slaving away on saleen 73 and a couple others. enjoy the car i knew right away your family was where the car belonged and i have plenty to do. never stand in the way of destiny, all you guys with women that hate you and fight with you , hint hint.

WATCHING
    HARVESTER OF EYES

DAMN IT! LET THE RABBITS WEAR GLASSES, SAID THE CRIES OF THE CARROT.
    YOU SHOULD NEVER SMOKE IN PAJAMAS, YOU COULD CATCH ON FIRE AND BURN YOUR FACE.

Small update on the Dominator. All interior minus the dash and steering column are stripped out. Floor pans are in okay condition. Driver side is cracked, and has been welded back up. The passenger side is buckled in, possibly from running over something or running off the road. I brought the motor hoist out to the shop. Motor and transmission are going to be pulled together, then the car is off to the body shop. Once motor and transmission are out, I will be check the numbers on them. I think they are matching and correct. Maybe keep them for a rebuild? Will have to see. Pictures of body damage, floor pans and motor & transmission soon. Getting really excited about this car. I have many ideas for this car (Dad shoots them down because they take away from the originality from the car). For instance, '84 front clip for fogs and '82 hood because I like the scoop. The '83 had the scoop stolen off it. Stay tuned for more Dominator action.

Definitely keep it as stock as possible, maybe throw a set of heads or something on it. Part of the fun is the original look of the Dominator, in all of its '83 glory!
    Chris Lott
    '81 Cobra T-Top - Black
    '85 Dominator GT - Black, 24k miles
    '85 Predator GT302R #150R - Light Regatta Blue
    '85 Predator GT302 Convertible #119 - White w/blue stripes For Sale
    '86 Texas DPS Mustang (Unit # unknown) - undergoing resto

Thanks for the good job of keeping us updated. Pictures are great too. As for the name....it's "the Dominator" at my house.
    1982 Dominator GT
    *1st Dominator ever sold and
    autographed by Jackie Stewart *
    1993 Corvette
    2005 Roush Mustang
    2008 Escape
    (DD)

Not so great pictures of the Dominator's imperfections.

Damage on driver door and rear quarter

Driver side floor pan

Close up on rear quarter damage

Driver side floor pan weld

Rust on roof directly above hatch

Damage to inner wheel housing, hard to tell, but it's been 'rolled' in. Hard to photograph.

Passenger side floor pan

Damage to rear quarter from inside, a bad picture.

Passenger side floor pan damage

More driver side floor pan

More rear quarter damage

Wow y'all aren't wasting a second on that car nice to be young and full of energy can't wait to see it who is doing the body work? Mine is going next month. I think I am going to use Tanners off chestnut expressway it used to be Top Craft they have done some small stuff for me but never a whole car. The red one was done in KC I thought about going up there but he us real busy does a great job. Let me know who you are using

Blog Entries

All easily fixed stuff. You want to keep the '83 nose- keep it as stock looking as possible. There is no point in buying a rare car, and then changing it. Any four eye would be good for that. Drive train wise, go nuts. Original block is O.K., but not so needed anymore to keep value. As far as a name, I would call it the PIG. In all caps. I would even get it on the license plate.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Well, as of today I am a licensed driver.

Congratulations life has just begun for you my friend enjoy and be careful out their a lot of crazies on the road. It is still one of the best days of my life that was my freedom

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast