Close

Default Cobra R Wheel Restoration?

I have a set of what I believe are fox body backspacing cobra r's. They were chrome and are peeling everywhere. Anybody on here restore a set of rims? How? Powdercoated? Results? Pics? Thank you in advance. I'll try to take pics of them this week and share the horror of these rims. I think I'll go for a gunmetal PC someday.

Its not difficult to refinish them. But getting the chrome off is going to be your hardest obstacle. Unless you have a chrome or bumper shop in the area to dip them, I'm thinking it would be next to impossible to strip them yourself.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

They are stripping themselves just sitting out there and peeling away.

If the Cobra R's are 4 lug than they are Fox offset and back spacing. If they are 5 lug, then you will want to determine what the back spacing/offset is as there are different options depending on if they are true Ford Cobra R or aftermarket.

Good Luck with your project.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

They are 17x9 and 5 lug installed on a fox mustang with the complete cobra brake kit.

If they are real Ford Cobra R's they should have the offset cast into one of the spokes on the back to determine what it is. The two offsets were either the standard M1007-R58 24mm (5.98" backspacing) or the M1007-M179 36mm offset (6.42") for the rear on Foxes with the longer SN95 axles.

There are many aftermarket versions of the Cobra R's with offsets from 19mm all the way up to 45mm for the S197 cars. Many will cast the offset into the spokes also, some will stamp it into the backside of the spokes, it just depends on the manufacturer.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

It turns out I have 2 of each offset which is awesome because because I need the wheels to "tuck" in the rear but not so much up front. Now I am faced with attempting to get these things restored. I am leaning towards paint after having the chrome chemically stripped. There is some info out there which suggests powder coating heat cycles will adversely affect aluminum rims, so I think I'll steer clear of that.

Here are the center caps.

6.42 backspace for the rears

5.98 backspace for the fronts

I have seen pictures of those wheels painted white. They looked pretty sweet. I love that wheel design.

There is some info out there which suggests powder coating heat cycles will adversely affect aluminum rims, so I think I'll steer clear of that.

if the powder coating is done properly then there is no issue. there are millions of cars out there with powder coated wheels.

Oh I know manufacturers can hold powder coaters to certain standards, but me going to my local powder coater and telling them to special handle my aluminum wheels. "Yes sir you have nothing to worry about, we've done many many sets of aluminum wheels." Bake at 350* for an hour with another customer's steel shelving getting the same color. I really like powder coating. I had my surly cross check powder coated locally and love it...for my steel bicycles!

Most rims have no problem being powder coated. Certain alloys on race only rims have failed from heat cycle. I have done several rims and my uncle owns a PC shop and has never had a issue and he beats his rims on his cars, amx that gets driven hard,75 hauler f100, 77 bronco that sees lots of rock time and his mustangs, 65 vert show car, 67 fast back course racer, 85ssp track car and sn95 daily driver all have pc'd rims for many years.
    Getting the chrome off will be the hardest part. Sand blasting will mostly eat up the metal around the chrome, chemical stripping its the best way but not cheap..
    1979 tangerine capri, 40k miles, sn95 8.8, spindles, eibach v8 springs, caster camber plates, manual steering and brakes, Lincoln master cylinder, rebuilt 2.3t/t5 from 85 tbird, nothing much!

I ran into the same problem this week. Found a set of true r58 Ford Cobra r's for sale in chrome, don't want chrome though and called a few wheel shops and they said they can only be rechromed, they can be painted but it wont last and powder coating will not work because of the heat to dry the powder. I'm pissed cause I have to pass on these rare wheels.
    Have:
    1986 Mustang GT Coyote swapped
    1985 Mustang LX coupe
    2016 F150 Supercrew Sport 5.0

I have powdercoated over chrome BUT offer NO warranty on it, I dont think any have had a problem but I assume it can peel easily, its not easy to scuff the chrome and if the chrome peels under the PC it will pull it up.
    1979 tangerine capri, 40k miles, sn95 8.8, spindles, eibach v8 springs, caster camber plates, manual steering and brakes, Lincoln master cylinder, rebuilt 2.3t/t5 from 85 tbird, nothing much!

I guess there's always plasti-dip. Haha!

Thread resurrection. I am getting this done. The wheels pictured above will be stripped and powder coated white. I am hopeful that they turn out nice. Once completed the fronts will get 255/40/17 tires and the rears will get 275/40/17 tires. Then the wheels will be installed on my foxbody station wagon.

FEP Power Member

Good luck. Many places tell you powder coat but just spray paint them. You will also find colors limited with powder coating.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Good luck. Many places tell you powder coat but just spray paint them. You will also find colors limited with powder coating.
    Oh my! If I just get white paint I’ll be pissed. My primary concern was actually the removal of the old peeling chrome. From what I saw when I dropped the rims off I believe they deal with the plating process regularly. There were some stuff on shelves awaiting the chrome restoration process. I guess it could all be staged or something but I’m hopeful. I can’t turn back now. I haven’t paid a dime yet so if things go awry I guess I’m out a set of old rims.

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Good luck. Many places tell you powder coat but just spray paint them.
    "Many places"? How do you figure that? I've never heard of anyone having an issue of a powder coating shop using spray paint instead, and it would be pretty easy to tell the difference.

You will also find colors limited with powder coating.
    There are bazillions of powders out there. A given shop may not carry all the different brands, but the same goes for paint. If you have a color from Brand X that you like, ask the shop if they can get it. If they don't want to, go somewhere else.
    Last edited by Patrick Olsen; 07-09-2020 at 09:54 PM.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

The company refinishing the rims sent me pics of a couple of the rims that have been stripped. The next step is prep for powder coating gloss white.

wow they are sweet looking (I want a set of real ones too) they look hot in silver IMO but hey they are yours so good luck
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009