Close

FEP Supporter

Default 2.3T Replacement Head Options and Differences

I may have a connection for some parts through a member of the local Mustang club I met at my first meeting. I am not in the market for much but thought that a good head would be a nice aquisition for future.

He said he maybe has SVO, TC and possibly Merkur heads. What would be the subtle or other differences for performance etc. between them if any between years and models?

What would be things to look at to identify each (cast numbers etc.) and what do I look at for potential issues (cracking or other)?

Thanks for your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

The only difference I can think of between any 2.3T EFI heads is that the early heads are missing one threaded hole that the later intakes use. Otherwise, they're all the same thing. As such they're all going to have the same problem, screwed up valve seats and related cracks. Personally, I'd think long and hard before spending the money to have a 2.3T EFI head cleaned and magnafluxed, since the likely outcome is finding a head that's cracked beyond repair and a wasted investment. The chances of finding a used head that isn't cracked are so slim it's hardly worth even trying.
    1986 Mustang Notch, 2.3L Turbo Project

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy2.3Mustang View Post
    The only difference I can think of between any 2.3T EFI heads is that the early heads are missing one threaded hole that the later intakes use. Otherwise, they're all the same thing. As such they're all going to have the same problem, screwed up valve seats and related cracks. Personally, I'd think long and hard before spending the money to have a 2.3T EFI head cleaned and magnafluxed, since the likely outcome is finding a head that's cracked beyond repair and a wasted investment. The chances of finding a used head that isn't cracked are so slim it's hardly worth even trying.
    Jimmy, what was the cut off between "early" heads and "later" heads you refer to. Of course this would be for my '86 SVO, so I do not know if it needs the extra intake mounting hole or not.

I am hoping that for this gentleman's reputation (he is a mechanic) amongst his Mustang club peers (he's a long time member) that if there was something amiss with one he would do the honorable thing and refund or exchange it.

One general difference I know of.....

The 79-83 carb 2.3t had oval port heads... 84-87 EFI had D port heads.

Some say the oval port heads flow better... I don't know.

the 79- 83 heads are an oval port head as said here , they flow about 4-5 cfm more than the d port heads , they are missing the top front hole for the bolting on of the newer square pendlum intakes but can easily be drilled to be used with the new style although thread sealent will be needed on the bolt seeing and it ends up going throught the valve cover rail on the head and ends up into the oil sitting on the head .
    84-89 heads were found on svo and merkurs were still a hydraulic non roller cam with the d port although they flow ever so slight less than the oval port they have alot high velocity port ( old oval port heads and be epoxied to raise and flatten the floor of the intake port ) netting better power and response
    t

so in review all the heads have the same combustion chambers , and exhaust ports . biggest differences are the cam and intake port .
    Last edited by merk; 11-04-2013 at 10:12 AM.
    83 capri , 9`S on 17" 2003 cobra and DOT m/t radials and 91octane 408w "Blacky "
    86 capri "Red" 13`s @ 108mph with street tires and 2.73 gears ...SOLD 2013... sad day
    93 mustang stretch wheel base 600cid with a lil juice. 7.48@190 mph
    61 ranchero ...SOON to be my mona lisa
    62 falcon rb20det swap
    88 merkur xr4ti 2.3T T-5
    86 merkur xr4ti 2.3t t-9

I think the 84 SVO with the inline lower intake manifold is also missing that one bolt for the 85-88 intake? (not sure)

FEP Supporter

Thanks for the input so far. One thing I have determined is that I need to learn a lot more about these engines!

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    I think the 84 SVO with the inline lower intake manifold is also missing that one bolt for the 85-88 intake? (not sure)
    the inline intake doesnt use the one bolt the newer square pendulum does but im pretty sure the the head still has the bolt hole there when they revised the casting in 83 but i could be wrong
    83 capri , 9`S on 17" 2003 cobra and DOT m/t radials and 91octane 408w "Blacky "
    86 capri "Red" 13`s @ 108mph with street tires and 2.73 gears ...SOLD 2013... sad day
    62 falcon rb20det swap
    88 merkur xr4ti 2.3T T-5
    86 merkur xr4ti 2.3t t-9

Quote Originally Posted by merk View Post
    the 79- 83 heads are an oval port head as said here , they flow about 4-5 cfm more than the d port heads , they are missing the top front hole for the bolting on of the newer square pendlum intakes but can easily be drilled to be used with the new style although thread sealent will be needed on the bolt seeing and it ends up going throught the valve cover rail on the head and ends up into the oil sitting on the head .
    84-89 heads were found on svo and merkurs were still a hydraulic non roller cam with the d port although they flow ever so slight less than the oval port they have alot high velocity port ( old oval port heads and be epoxied to raise and flatten the floor of the intake port ) netting better power and response
    the 87-88 turbo coupe heads are the same as the other turbo d port heads except they are a roller cam and follower design .

so in review all the heads have the same combustion chambers , and exhaust ports . biggest differences are the cam and intake port .
    87-88 Turbocoupe's used a slider cam and follower just like the other turbo cars, NOT ROLLER CAMS.

oops for some reason i thought the late turbo coupes had rollers lol its been a few years, fixed
    62 falcon rb20det swap
    88 merkur xr4ti 2.3T T-5
    86 merkur xr4ti 2.3t t-9

FEP Supporter

Are un-cracked E6 exhaust manifolds expensive or hard to find? May have a line on one with a stock turbo for $100.

The E3 manifolds tend to crack, the E6 is beefed up and flows better so it's a common upgrade. It should be worth about $50, maybe up to $100 on Ebay. The turbo might be worth more depending what it is, and condition. Assuming it's good it might be worth $150-200. SVO T3 > T-bird T3 > IHI > T3 or IHI core.
    1986 Mustang Notch, 2.3L Turbo Project

Back when looking for a head for a friend's SVO, I was told on another website that the only difference in a turbo versus a no turbo head of the same year was the material the valves were made of. Not sure if that is completely true, but we ended up putting a standard head on his car after swapping the valves out.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    Back when looking for a head for a friend's SVO, I was told on another website that the only difference in a turbo versus a no turbo head of the same year was the material the valves were made of. Not sure if that is completely true, but we ended up putting a standard head on his car after swapping the valves out.
    Wrong. Naturally aspirated cars used a casting with a smaller combustion chamber, along with standard duty valves. The turbo head casting is a larger cc open chamber, to help reduce compression.

Quote Originally Posted by merk View Post
    t

THANKS A LOT FOR THAT INFORMATION, im really new to these engines. I have a 80 2.3t carb cobra, and want to convert to efi turbo using a megasquirt stand alone, im from colombia, and here its virtually imposible to find a 88 t/c Tbird but can buy some engine parts on ebay. Whats i need to convert my 2.3t carb to 2.3t efi? thanks a lot

FEP Senior Member

Hello all. I found a 1986 turbo coupe engine that was partially overhauled including a fully rebuilt head. The heads in good condition with stellite valves. What are the camshaft differences and how can I tell ll if l have an aftermarket camshaft.