Close

Default Code 67 on my 86 vert

Ok guys,
    Please help! I pulled my codes today and found a code 67, with that said the reason I pulled them was because the idle was surging. Now I'm reading how this code will cause a surge. History of my car, 86 gt with I think the original tranny and no major mods done...HELP, what am I looking for and how can I make this stop, it's driving me crazy. I also on occasion get a real high idle at start up, it random and revs to like 3k then come right back to the surging, and yup I checked the tps sensor it was within range..thanks in advanced...ken

some code info here

http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7908

on my 92 I was having idle problems, I tried almost everything, try turning the idle screw out to lower the rpms and then recheck the tps voltage, may as well clean the IAC also(it's bolted to the throttle body)
    Last edited by FM2NOTCH; 11-02-2013 at 07:23 PM.
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

I was just doing that, I checked and rechecked it several times, I was reading for hours ( thanks four eyed pride) did it exactly how it was recommended. Got perfect voltage, I also cleaned the hell out of the intake etc etc...frustrating as hell having my pride and joy surging like a kid with asthma. Ken

actually there is no perfect voltage, the computer will read the tps and adjust accordingly at every startup, most people shoot for 1 volt or less tho. you are running to lean or too rich, lean- check for vacuum leaks, rich- fuel pressure, forget the names but it may be air inlet temp sensor(on the intake) or water temp sensor (on the water tube)

pull some vacuum on the egr, if it's' working the engine should die, do you have vacuum hooked to the map sensor?(on the firewall)
    Last edited by FM2NOTCH; 11-02-2013 at 07:43 PM.

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

Sorry I guess I should have said the egr valve is new, and I did recheck it, works fine and hold a vacuum. New tps sensor and new map sensor. I just bought the car a month ago so all this was done by the previous owner. I think he was searching for the same surging problem. It wasn't enough of an issue for me not to buy the car. It's like a woman eventually I'll figure out the problem..lol

Few more tid bits, the smog crap has been removed by the previous owner. I sprayed every inch of every thing looking for vac leaks, I found zippo. It's getting time to put her in storage for the winter so help sooner rather than later would be appreciated, if not it can wait till next year. Again, thanks in advanced...ken

I know what you're going thru, I still don't have mine fixed, computer is my next install

Funny, I just found an old computer in the box I got when I bought the car, so I can assume it was changed...I think I might just lose my mind! The good thing is it still run fine, just a bit annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenandtj View Post
    Funny, I just found an old computer in the box I got when I bought the car, so I can assume it was changed...I think I might just lose my mind! The good thing is it still run fine, just a bit annoying.
    I even pulled my upper intake and actually replaced some leaky vacuum lines, no help tho, mine runs perfect at anything but idle, idle is fair after a month long session but it's a little too low at 500 rpm and I still have a CEL on

Is there an exhaust leak between the header and H-pipe? Make sure your EEC ground (runs to the negative battery terminal) is making a good connection. I've seen bad battery terminals/cables cause a surge, too.

Check timing and fuel pressure.

A newer computer in an '86 would throw a 67 if the '86s don't have neutral switches.
    Last edited by grabbergreen84; 11-02-2013 at 11:19 PM.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Brand new exhaust, thanks to the previous owner. I will check the ground and the timing was spot on. Fuel pressure tho hasn't been checked yet. And I'm pretty sure mine has that switch......I just want to thank you for all your help. Ken

This is going to sound like I'm an idiot, but where is the cel light. For some reason mine doesn't have one. I used the test light method to check codes...I might be losing my mind but I pulled the dash panel off and see no CEL indicator.

Your car does not have a CEL (check engine light) they weren't mandated til 1989 (1988 in California).

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk
    1985 Ford LTD LX. 4 eyes, 4 doors-cobra powered
    2006 Ford F-150 Ashley/Smith special edition--the "daily driver"
    1986 ford mustang SVO--a man can always dream right?

Oh thank god, I was thinking I was stooped. Lol, thanks guys

Did you clean the IAC? A sticking one is the typical cause of a surging idle. Lots of YouTube videos on the subject.

FEP Senior Member

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,7333.0.html

Something else to look into.

OMR
    '86 Med.Canyon Red Met.(original paint) T-top,5 speed,3.55 rear,MAF conversion(A9L).MM adj. RLCAs,T/A,Panhard Bar,and adj MMRSB-3,rear T/A springs 375#-440#,MM C/C plates,MM 1.125" dia.swaybar,STB,4pt KMB,FLSFC's,'03 Cobra rack-n-pinion w/ Saginaw pump conversion.Bilstein MM coilover conversion and A-arms,front spring rate:250#.

So guys, the IAC is brandy new, another buy from the previous owner. ( yup he was chasing the same demon) now as far as the neutral switch goes, I've seen that video, but have yet to get it up on a lift to check it. Unfortunant for me time has run out, the old girl is in storage for the winter. This will have to await until spring, DAMN YOU Mother Nature! Thanks to all that gave input, I'll readdress it in the spring. Hope to talk to ya all in the spring! Ken

Hey guys,
    Well spring is here and I had the old girl out and about. As posted above I still have the surging idle problem, I also forgot to mention at really random times when I go to start it up the idle goes up to like 2k then falls right back down, but then starts hunting. A quick question, I noticed my temp gauge never ever reaches the mid way point...can a issue with either a too hot or too cold stat cause this? I still have a code 67...... I'm at my wits end and it's only been out of storage for a week... Thanks guys! ken

Ken, do you have access to a digital thermometer? Check to make sure the car is able to get up to operating temperature. The PO may have put a colder thermostat.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

I do have one, an infrared one I can borrow from my service van. What should the temp be at normal op temp? Would that cause all my drama? Thanks for your help. Ken

Tested the temp today got around 190ish. But like I said the gauge reads barely over hot. Do I have a bad gauge and it means nothing?

190 is fine. You may have a bad sender or a bad ground for your sender. A PO may have used teflon tape to seal the sender so it may not get a good ground.
    Is your car manual or automatic?
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Manual, so more to add as of this morning. I go out to start it on a cold damp morning and get just the engine cranking and no firing. So I pull the cap off and don't hear the pump running. This has happened in the past, so I go run my errands and come home and veroom, she starts right up. After of course I stopped at auto zone and grabbed a new fuel pump. My problem is I don't want to just throw parts at it, I did chance the fuel filter this morning. I was late for an appointment when it first didn't start but I couldn't check the relay. I guess my only other option is wait until it happens again.... Oh boy is it frustrating, I drove it all day today with out a problem...weird! Ken