Close

Default What year is this engine?

I know its a 302 (5.0) and its NOT the original engine in my 85 capri. I'm fixing to start buying parts for it and wanted to know the year to get the right parts.

I was told to look here in the starter area for a number:

Name:  atarter area.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  144.8 KB

This is the numbers: FISE 88

Name:  casting number.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  119.4 KB

F1SE only means that it is a 1991 or newer block. To get close to the exact year you will need the date code from the same area. The get the exact model year and vehicle it is from you will need the VIN on the flat pad behind the lifter valley.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    F1SE only means that it is a 1991 or newer block. To get close to the exact year you will need the date code from the same area. The get the exact model year and vehicle it is from you will need the VIN on the flat pad behind the lifter valley.
    What you see in the pics is all that I saw in that area. If you are talking the flat pad at the rear of the engine right above the top 2 bellhousing bolts there is nothing there but blank space. No numbers, letters, etc. as a matter of fact there are no numbers nowhere that I see anywhere at the rear of the engine.

The date code is right above the starter hole in the block plate. It looks like a plate that is screwed into the block. Number/Letter/Number(Number)

Name:  302casting.JPG
Views: 61
Size:  356.3 KB
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

The date code is right above the starter hole in the block plate. It looks like a plate that is screwed into the block. Number/Letter/Number(Number)

Name:  302casting.JPG
Views: 61
Size:  356.3 KB

Oh, ok now I see it. it has 4A13 or 4A15. The last digit wasn't cast very good but it looks like a 5 or 3, not sure

It's a 1994 model year block.

4 = 1994
    A = January
    13/15 = 13th/15th
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Just to ask a question...Why couldn't it be a 1984? or a 1974? or a 2004?

Never mind I see...F1SE
    Last edited by Gonnagofast; 11-03-2013 at 08:25 AM.

Can anybody tell me how to find out what it came out of? I know its a 94 5.0

Without a VIN on the flat pad behind the lifter valley there is no way to tell exactly what the block it out of.

Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Without a VIN on the flat pad behind the lifter valley there is no way to tell exactly what the block it out of.

i think that area is blank.

Sometimes the stamping is faint but it's there. Unless it was a service replacement block, in which case it will indeed be blank. Have you cleaned that area and looked closely? Degrease it, use a wire brush, etc.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Sometimes the stamping is faint but it's there. Unless it was a service replacement block, in which case it will indeed be blank. Have you cleaned that area and looked closely? Degrease it, use a wire brush, etc.
    I went and picked up my crank kit yesterday and they were asking me if it was a truck motor and I said "I have no clue. all I know its an 94 model." he said well the cranks are the same from 91.

Cranks are the same from 1981. That is when the imbalance changed from 28.8 oz to 50 oz. Crank casting number should be 2MAE.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...orging-numbers

Name:  P1010574.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  119.6 KB
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Someone said this was "roller motor" what exactly does that mean? keep in mind this is my first Ford, I been wearing "bowties" most of my life! LOL

Means the block is roller cam capable, and had (considering the year) a roller cam.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

The "s" in f1se code means Thunderbird/Cougar.

Mustangs also used the F1SE block. The third character is only the model line that the part was originally designed for. Parts are shared on many makes and model lines.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

That pad is definitely blank unless it is VERY faint. I wiped it off and saw nothing!

So I was reading this and I just happen to have my engine out so I checked mine...

F1SE....0F12....
    1991 and up block produced on June 12 of 1990? Something doesn't make sense here.
    -Mike
    Engineer by Profession (Licensed PE - Missouri)
    Mechanic by Trade (ASE Master Tech, L1, X1)

Former Parts Counter Guy by Hobby (Chain Parts Store)
    1983 GLX Vert: GONE
    1986 LX Vert: AFR 165 5.0L/T5
    2000 Cougar: GONE
    2004 Ranger Edge 4X4
    2011 Explorer Limited
    2015 Taurus SHO PP

...or June 12, 2000.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

...or June 12, 2000.
    I thought the 302 was out of production by 2000...wasn't the 98 Explorer the last vehicle to use it?
    -Mike
    Engineer by Profession (Licensed PE - Missouri)
    Mechanic by Trade (ASE Master Tech, L1, X1)

Former Parts Counter Guy by Hobby (Chain Parts Store)
    1983 GLX Vert: GONE
    1986 LX Vert: AFR 165 5.0L/T5
    2000 Cougar: GONE
    2004 Ranger Edge 4X4
    2011 Explorer Limited
    2015 Taurus SHO PP

Explorer had 5.0L option through 2001 model year.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder