Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

Repeat...

Neither here nor there

Wilson is good, I have talked to him off/on over the past couple of years to check on him, just busy with life, but hasn't forgot about us

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    I've had a thought about this...

If someone joined because they had a project car, they would use FEP as resource,yes? But what happens when they finish that project? They might post a few pics when they're done, attend a few shows, post some more pics, etc... What if they aren't the type that starts another car when they finish the first? Sure, you've got that completely restored Fox that you always wanted, but then what? Of course you could always pop in every now and again to say hello, but if you've moved on to other things now that the car is done, how much longer before you stop posting altogether? Just in three years (this month, in fact), I've seen plenty of people that used to post constantly, but now you hardly see them, if at all. I guess it's just like life, people come and people go.
    I joined for this reason myself; to gain knowledge and work to get my '82 back on the road. My '82 was drivable late in the summer so posting started slowing down on it. Maybe no one cares about mundane things like mud flap options or a new rubber for the clutch pedal, but I'll post it up just to keep engaged myself. Winter storage time is here now so work has pretty much stopped on the little things even. I am not a huge tech guy either but I read a lot of posts without commenting or asking questions as I absorb as much information as I can. I am not planning on any new (to me) cars after these "projects" but when I joined FEP in the early spring, I had one car and now I have three (one is for my son)!

Currently I dont have a lot going on except working 50+ hours a week. I cant sit still to watch TV when I'm at home and not much interests me other than foxes right now so my FEP time helps fill my the void. I do like just reading and commenting in the BS section or FYI ads when nothing else is going on. It keeps one engaged and coming back.

Nottingham, PA now...from Perryville, MD...From Levittown, PA

82 nightmare
    Squirrel
    The guy that had the chicken for an avatar.
    My name is Andrew
    1986 GT Convertible- 2nd owner
    1984 SVO-Impound Yard find

I check the site almost daily. Don't post much seams like nobody cares what I post
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1986 Bronco 351ho
    VP Berks County Mustang Car Club
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2462250

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 83rsturbo View Post
    I check the site almost daily. Don't post much seams like nobody cares what I post
    Don't feel bad. I was effectively gone for about two years. When I came back, no one other than staff really cared.

Quote Originally Posted by evlgt85 View Post
    Don't feel bad. I was effectively gone for about two years. When I came back, no one other than staff really cared.
    I know I missed you
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1986 Bronco 351ho
    VP Berks County Mustang Car Club
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2462250

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

That's good to know, thanks

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vascj View Post
    We should start a running tally, I'll start:
    I hope these guys are okay and doing well
    Super-G
    Foxforward
    Wilson
    Todd900ss
    Foxbody guy
    Lumarkhood
    I remember Super-G, he had that awesome Firebird. A ton of FEP users seemed to drop off since this site was revamped.

i actually saw super g in person over the summer...nice guy he had his firebird at a local car show
    <Dayne>
    1985 Monte Carlo SS 5.7
    1993 Civic Coupe JDM B16A1
    1982 Mustang GT 5.0
    1980 Mustang Notchback 5.0
    1993 Civic SI D16Z6
    1991 Camaro RS 3.1
    1978 Honda Accord CVCC 1.6
    1983 Camaro Berlinetta 2.8
    1981 Mustang Notchback ...Engineless...again

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knebworth View Post
    A ton of FEP users seemed to drop off since this site was revamped.

Things are not always as they seem. For curiosity's sake, I searched for each of those users in the list you quoted as well as a few others. One or two stopped posting/visiting well before the upgrade, most of the others are still lurking about with last visits/last activities in the last few days. There really shouldn't be a reason for people to have stopped coming around due to the software upgrade. The board itself is largely the same. Traffic around here is, and always has been cyclical. Certain seasons are much busier than others.

One thing I have noticed about the Internet in general over the last few years is that people have become passive consumers versus active producers. It used to be all, "OMG, I'm on the INTERNET, I gotta POST STUFF ALL THE TIME!" It just isn't like that anymore on message boards. Whether it is the rise of social media, feeling hesitant about putting one's own information out there as the Internet feels more invasive, long time participants getting burnt out after so many years, or a combination of those and many other factors, the trend nearly everywhere is more watchers, less posters.

Also, as mentioned before, people move on. Our local Mustang club started out being at the track or at someone's house wrenching nearly every week. As time went on, people's lives changed, folks moved to other parts of the area or out of the state completely. Cars got sold, other hobbies were picked up. We all try to keep in contact in some way or another, but track days and other get togethers are a thing of the past, and this is a real-life group. That sort of thing only gets magnified when the majority of the link between people is an Internet connection.

I myself wound up being not only burnt out, but had other life priorities get in the way and with a number of health issues cropping up it got to the point where I kept the bills paid on the site and little else until this past summer. Now, I have a thousand and one things I'm trying to keep up with on the site while working it around other obligations and the still-too-common 'down' days that I inevitably face out of nowhere. I've made enough changes that I'll be around to stay and keep putting effort into the site from now on.

The best solution to the perceived ebb and flow of participation is for more people to get involved and post good stuff. What's good stuff? Well, that's subjective, unfortunately. Post about things that are relevant to the group and can create positive discussion, not heated arguments. Trial and error is okay. We've all created threads that have bombed. Also, be mindful of how you (this, as are others, is a broad, sweeping 'you' that is not directed at any one person) interact with folks on here and the impact it can have on their perception of the site. One negative experience, no matter how isolated, will get remembered over and above a dozen positive ones. It's human nature. But, as humans, we also tend to type first, reconsider later. We're in a text based environment, and with no facial expressions or vocal tones to guide the other person, things often get taken out of context/the wrong way.

Anyway, to keep people around, I'd say remember that humans of all kinds are behind the other side of your computer and try to engage them in a positive and productive way.

I also noticed your return to action (just didn't say so)

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by 80Notch View Post
    i have a LOT of members on my facebook...
    I liked the official FEP page, but I am leery about engaging too much on Facebook (not that I spend much time on there) because it more personal than a forum. That may change one day...

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    I'm glad to have FEP, it's one of my favorite online places and I come here almost every day.... And the competition was more friendly, less smack down, there was a competitive camaraderie.
    I agree with this too. Not that I have personally experienced a smack down, but from what I have seen on other sites, it does not fit my personality type and I don't give any credit or respect to these types of people. I don't diss people for their opinions or their perspective on things and I wouldn't expect it back. Everyone is entitled to their take on things and when someone doesn't agree, why does it have to become a personal attack or beat-down? I am here to learn, not be talked down to for my lack of knowledge or multitude of "dumb" questions. If I need correcting for a mistake, error or ignorance, I would expect a respectful reply. That is where this site seems different than the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by stableboy View Post
    I dont think any would notice me missing. I have almost 0% tech knowledge to add to threads and almost 0% ability to do things on my own so I don't do anything with my cars.
    I don't really either, but I am willing to learn and I am glad there are some willing to teach or instruct.

Me too, although I post quite a bit.

One thing I have noticed about the Internet in general over the last few years is that people have become passive consumers versus active producers. It used to be all, "OMG, I'm on the INTERNET, I gotta POST STUFF ALL THE TIME!" It just isn't like that anymore on message boards. Whether it is the rise of social media, feeling hesitant about putting one's own information out there as the Internet feels more invasive, long time participants getting burnt out after so many years, or a combination of those and many other factors, the trend nearly everywhere is more watchers, less posters.

....working it around other obligations and the still-too-common 'down' days that I inevitably face out of nowhere.

The best solution to the perceived ebb and flow of participation is for more people to get involved and post good stuff. Anyway, to keep people around, I'd say remember that humans of all kinds are behind the other side of your computer and try to engage them in a positive and productive way.
    OMG, I'm on the internet!!

Seriously though, well written. These are definitely good points.

I dont think any would notice me missing. I have almost 0% tech knowledge to add to threads and almost 0% ability to do things on my own so I don't do anything with my cars.
    I disagree. I think that you have plenty to contribute to a car site (like this one) ---- such as your enthusiasm for your car. I have almost 0% tech knowledge on a good day ---- and my wrenches are spotless because most have never been used ---- but I luv cars sooooo much.

I generally go to car shows alone because I spend so much time at each car that I wouldn't want to make others hang with me that long. If I go with friends, I just meet up with them there or after the show for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by tman1257 View Post
    I guess I'm one of those also Danny. Seems as if for me priorities have changed alot. Its not that I want my car sitting, just that it has to be on the back burner for a bit.
    And priorities DO change. That's understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by tman1257 View Post
    To finish what I was going to say lol: It would make me wonder a bit because your posts are some of the best. You make people smile and wonder. Your posts are ones that make people smile and sometimes wonder. Your whereabouts would be questioned. So yes, some would be missed and questioned.
    I wondered what came after that "It..." LOL ---- but thanks ---- I think I felt my face go flush forreal. Your thought is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post
    A message board is like a bar. Some people (actually a lot of people) simply tend to come and go within a few month's time. Like any public place.
    Excellent analogy. Well-said.

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    I joined for this reason myself; to gain knowledge and work to get my '82 back on the road.
    This is a very good reason to join a forum ---- and perhaps I wasn't even considering it from that angle. I think that I had in mind those that seemed to really become regulars and then just disappeared ---- such as these three below...

82 nightmare
    Squirrel
    The guy that had the chicken for an avatar.
    I emailed a few times with niGhTmare. He was okay ---- just concentrating on school ---- and maybe moving on by himself.
    Mr Squirrel seemed to be having "life get in the way" ---- though not necessarily in a bad way ---- just busy.
    The Chicken Guy and I exchanged phone numbers when he was posting about getting out of the car hobby. We spoke a few times on the phone. He was just going through some transitions.

I do ---- though you bring up another point. Let's say, for example, you post a pic of your car ---- and hardly anyone posts up ---- you might think, "Wow. I posted my car -- and nobody cared enough to even say anything -- so I left." That would be SADLY understandable. That's the reason I do try to answer people -- even if it's just a couple of words -- and this is NOT to say that I'd post just for the sake of posting. Make sense?

I disagree (with this post). I often (seriously) wondered why you didn't post more. I often thought, "Wow. If anyone has knowledge and input, it's evlgt85. Why doesn't he say more.

As for your lengthier post in this thread ---- and some of the other posts ---- I'm going to have to get my thoughts together before I can answer you ---- though the short response would be, "I agree with you."

I'll say this now >>> you all have given me some new things to think about.

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by dburdyshaw View Post
    I disagree. I think that you have plenty to contribute to a car site (like this one) ---- such as your enthusiasm for your car. I have almost 0% tech knowledge on a good day ---- and my wrenches are spotless because most have never been used ---- but I luv cars sooooo much.

I generally go to car shows alone because I spend so much time at each car that I wouldn't want to make others hang with me that long. If I go with friends, I just meet up with them there or after the show for that reason.

And priorities DO change. That's understandable.

I wondered what came after that "It..." LOL ---- but thanks ---- I think I felt my face go flush forreal. Your thought is appreciated.

Excellent analogy. Well-said.

This is a very good reason to join a forum ---- and perhaps I wasn't even considering it from that angle. I think that I had in mind those that seemed to really become regulars and then just disappeared ---- such as these three below...

I emailed a few times with niGhTmare. He was okay ---- just concentrating on school ---- and maybe moving on by himself.
    Mr Squirrel seemed to be having "life get in the way" ---- though not necessarily in a bad way ---- just busy.
    The Chicken Guy and I exchanged phone numbers when he was posting about getting out of the car hobby. We spoke a few times on the phone. He was just going through some transitions.

I do ---- though you bring up another point. Let's say, for example, you post a pic of your car ---- and hardly anyone posts up ---- you might think, "Wow. I posted my car -- and nobody cared enough to even say anything -- so I left." That would be SADLY understandable. That's the reason I do try to answer people -- even if it's just a couple of words -- and this is NOT to say that I'd post just for the sake of posting. Make sense?

I disagree (with this post). I often (seriously) wondered why you didn't post more. I often thought, "Wow. If anyone has knowledge and input, it's evlgt85. Why doesn't he say more.

As for your lengthier post in this thread ---- and some of the other posts ---- I'm going to have to get my thoughts together before I can answer you ---- though the short response would be, "I agree with you."

I'll say this now >>> you all have given me some new things to think about.
    Haven't seen you post in a few days. I was worried you foresaw your own MIA scenario when you created this post

^^ Nothing kills the time like reading dburdys multi-quote-orama!! ^^

I think it's funny when I come on here and still see old posts with my name on them. I haven't really been on in six years and I used to post all the time, but my old account with the same name was deleted because it was tied to a yahoo email address. A bad experience with buying parts from a "trusted" member here and how it was treated ran me off. I only visit to look for information now.

I sold my Capri a while back, but still pop in every now and then. @dburdyshaw, dont worry. If you stopped posting, we would track you down, creepy internet stalker style
    87 Soarer//1jzgte//r154//bw 83-75

I agree that all of the distractions & reasons given above for not logging on & posting much anymore are valid. I think that having this site down several times this summer didn't help.
    I come from the "vintage mentality" that getting together personally from time to time far outweighs any internet experience.
    (Here in the Phoenix area we have probably a couple dozen members, but have been unable to muster up more than one group meeting in the past several years, & only three members showed for that one.)

Evidently life is too busy, or perhaps many people simply don't have much interest in being more than internet companions.

So Danny, I would say, if our association with other FEP members hasn't gone beyond our interaction of internet posting, we could disappear from this site & most likely, no one will know it.
    Ron
    Last edited by BLK BRD 88; 11-06-2013 at 11:13 AM.
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

Nottingham, PA now...from Perryville, MD...From Levittown, PA

Maybe the site has reached a saturation point or plateau in content. There are only so many things that can be written about on these cars. You can barely buy original size tires let alone wheels anymore. I bet any question can be answered with a search.
    My name is Andrew
    1986 GT Convertible- 2nd owner
    1984 SVO-Impound Yard find

Out of respect for space, please refer to evlgt85's post above ---- as there are lots of good points in it.
    For me, the temporary shutdown of the site was a non-issue. I came back.

You make really good points about posting "good stuff" and realizing that there are people on the other side. I admit that I have shot off my mouth more than a time or two. Typed words have no voice inflection ---- and I now watch to see if what I'm writing could be misunderstood too easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I only visit to look for information now.
    This is a valid reason to visit any website. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience -- and would look forward to your interactions once again.

Quote Originally Posted by stockhatch View Post
    @dburdyshaw, dont worry. If you stopped posting, we would track you down, creepy internet stalker style
    Thanks -- that's good to know. Note to self: Double-check the house security systems.

Quote Originally Posted by BLK BRD 88 View Post
    As before, see BLK BRD 88's post above.
    Ron, you make good points. I would only add that distance does come into play. This site is largely North American -- though we do get a good share of posts from The United Kingdom including Australia. Getting together would be a challenge there -- though local groups could easily be formed if there is interest.

Maybe the site has reached a saturation point or plateau in content. There are only so many things that can be written about on these cars. You can barely buy original size tires let alone wheels anymore. I bet any question can be answered with a search.
    This is all true as well ---- though I see FEP as more than just a Fox Chassis site. I see it as a car enthusiasts site -- which makes it better than some. I've looked at car sites for some of my other vehicles -- but FEP and two other sites are the only that I visit regularly. This really IS a great site.

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Haven't seen you post in a few days. I was worried you foresaw your own MIA scenario when you created this post

^^ Nothing kills the time like reading dburdys multi-quote-orama!! ^^
    I'm happy that I serve a purpose for you. What do you mean, "kills the time"??? Didn't you mean, "makes life worth living"??? Insert those words into your sentence. LOL.

Remarkably, do you all realize that I only post three to four days a week? I felt like I was spending too much time on the Internet -- and so I govern myself to do other stuff, too.

We used to do these "multi-quote-orama" posts at the now-defunct Ford EXP site. When that first site went away, all that information was lost. I wish that I could see some of those old threads. There is a new EXP / LN7 site -- and it'll be great again someday.

Hmmm. I did agree with evlgt82's thought on posting "good stuff." Maybe I should quit while I'm ahead.

I appreciate it dburdyshaw, but I found what I needed and this will probably be the last time I post on this board. I've had so many four eyes over the years and enjoyed helping people with the knowledge I have but the perception this website gives off to many isn't good. I bought some parts from a local guy who was a member here but banned for parting the car I bought things from. That car was not salvageable due to severe rust and I see others parting cars here now that are much nicer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I appreciate it dburdyshaw, but I found what I needed and this will probably be the last time I post on this board. I've had so many four eyes over the years and enjoyed helping people with the knowledge I have but the perception this website gives off to many isn't good. I bought some parts from a local guy who was a member here but banned for parting the car I bought things from. That car was not salvageable due to severe rust and I see others parting cars here now that are much nicer.
    I really, really don't want to start any sort of a conflict, but it seems that our tendency to try to avoid it by not commenting on why this person or that person was banned just opens the doors for things like this to fester.

Typically, the reasons folks claim they were banned from this site are not the case at all, unless they're brutally honest about trolling or something. But, we tend to keep our traps shut about it. I'm seriously considering cutting that out and letting staff give full disclosure when things get brought up. Most cases are due to people not reading the rules or disregarding them in the belief that they should be allowed to do whatever they want on any site they please. Site staff document their conversations with site members when problems arise so that the rest of the staff can be informed of what's going on, weigh in on the issue, try to give advice, and so forth.

Now, I don't know which member or what car you're talking about. But, I'd be willing to bet that what you've been led to believe is at the very least not the whole story. We require pics of damage, and catastrophic damage, damage beyond reasonable repair is a green light to part. If someone refuses to provide pics, then we take away classified privileges. If they continue to push boundaries, more action is taken. You'd be amazed at the number of people who claim they were banned for something in the classifieds when they were really banned due to them getting ticked off about having to follow rules and then posting a flame-filled tirade worthy of any 12 year old who had just started to master the wielding of epithets.

It is absolutely impossible to keep hundreds to thousands of people happy. I'd be lying if I didn't admit that it does upset me when people claim to have bad experiences here and decide to bad mouth the site because of it. But, that's part of the game and there's only so much that can be done to ensure good user experiences. Everyone involved is human and trying to interact through this weird interface which is both a connection and a barrier. Some say this site is too extreme (amazingly, this is most likely to have been said by people who haven't even BEEN here), others think we're way too permissive! People have it set in their minds what THEY think this site should be (or what they think it IS) and utterly disregard what we repeatedly make available for people to see what we really ARE about. We're upfront about everything as best as we can be. It's up to others to take note of that and choose accordingly.

I'm becoming more and more sure that we've let the detractors go unanswered for far, far too long.

This ^^^. Well said. No one has ever been banned just because they parted out an unrepairable car.
    Now, if they wanna part out a repairable car, that's their business too, they just can't do it in my driveway,
    using my tools. Just that simple.
    Last edited by JACook; 11-07-2013 at 01:08 PM.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

I like it here.

I miss some of the posters and some I don't notice. Depends on what they posted and if I read it or not.
    I push my fingers into my eyes......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update - 2023 - Looking to buy 81 Mustang, 82/85/86 Mustang GT, and 79 - 86 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars or convertibles - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

That is not true. I wondered where you went. Also I don't see Mike, Negusm much on here anymore
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast