Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by STANGMAN116 View Post
    I would say so!!! Good job
    Thanks

I'm hoping that I'm in it light enough that I can do a full restoration or restomod without going upside down. I have more inspecting and number crunching to do before I can make that final decision to take the full resto plunge.

Thanks Fox for decoding and including it in your registry

It seems like a well optioned car? Other than rear wiper and louver, any other options missing?

Btw, the louvers that came with the car ended up being dealer added Interpart Louvers (not original but still worth having)

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    VIN
    [table]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: right"]9[/TD]
    [TD]1979 model year[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: right"]F[/TD]
    [TD]Dearborn Assembly[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: right"]03[/TD]
    [TD]Mustang 3-dr hatchback[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: right"]W[/TD]
    [TD]turbocharged 2.3L engine[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: right"]485272[/TD]
    [TD]5,272nd 1979 Pace Car scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/table]

Door Tag
    05/79 May 1979 scheduled build
    F0078 78 lbs front accessory reserve load
    R0091 91 lbs rear accessory reserve load
    1E Pewter Metallic
    42 Cleveland district sales office
    61R Mustang 3-dr hatchback
    10E Black bodyside molding, Orange stripe inserts
    UA cloth and vinyl Recaro seating (U), Black interior color (A)
    A manual air conditioner
    7 AM/FM stereo radio with cassette tape player
    F 3.45:1 axle ratio, non-locking differential
    6 manual Borg Warner transmission (4-sp)
    YY front springs
    GG rear springs

Buck Tag
    MUSTANG Mustang model line
    485272 5,272nd 1979 Pace Car scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly
    61R Mustang 3-dr hatchback
    W turbocharged 2.3L engine
    MR moonroof (sunroof)
    1007 rotations # 1007
    1E Pewter Metallic exterior paint color
    A Black interior trim color
    DF
    ST
    M
    AC manual air conditioner
    HB heated backlite (rear defrost)
    DRM dual remote mirrors
    S fingertip speed control (cruise control)
    500 Indianapolis 500 Pace Car
    WQM
    PL power door locks
    MBW manual Borg Warner transmission (4-sp)
    9 hood with hole, full length hood scoop
    V visibility (light group)
    Last edited by PaceFever79; 10-15-2013 at 11:03 AM.

I am no expert on Pace Car options, so let's see if I have this right...

air conditioner
    cruise
    defrost
    louvers (not available with rear wipers)
    power locks
    rear wiper (not available with louvers)
    8-track (replaces AM/FM cassette)

Did I get that correct? Everything else should be standard (AM/FM cassette, delay wipers, premium sound, sunroof, tu-tone, TRX, etc.)

So it looks like the only thing you're missing is 8-track and louvers OR rear wiper.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Wow good for you

Quote Originally Posted by huck01955 View Post
    Wow good for you
    Thanks!

Congrats on the purchase. It looks really nice. You got an awesome deal on it.
    Last edited by fascat; 10-15-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Thanks man

The guy took it on trade, he was a Chevy guy, just wanted it gone.

Old 4 banger Ford, not running, no interest, (my GF found it), I just got lucky for a change!

Also, the car needs a lot of work, so it's really a diamond in the rough.
    Last edited by PaceFever79; 10-15-2013 at 07:23 PM.

Looks good to me! Nice score!
    1982 Dominator GT
    *1st Dominator ever sold and
    autographed by Jackie Stewart *
    1993 Corvette
    2005 Roush Mustang
    2008 Escape
    (DD)

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    So, I paid $1400 for it.... think I got a good deal?
    Ah, that car is trashed, you don't want to waste your time with this thing! I'll do you a favor and take it off your hands. Do you need my address to arrange for shipping? Lol
    Tom

CAMMED & SLAMMED! For more build pics and updates: http://www.facebook.com/SINISBuilt

For being "BUILT not BOUGHT" I am still broke!

1400..... you got a steal, my friend. Nice car!

Well, things just got interesting. A member of my local Mustang forum tipped me to a fellow who has a rusty 84 SVO he wants to sell. The car has 80k miles on it, and the motor has been updated with LA3, Ranger roller cam, ported intake, 15 PSI, and some other bits, dyno'd at 240 RWHP. He says it was his daily driver until it wouldn't pass inspection anymore and that the entire drivetrain is tip top. I have not gone to see it yet, but his asking price fits into my overall restomod vision and budget. If I went this route, the Pace Car would be for all intents and purposes, a Pace Car with SVO underpinnings. I might even be able to graft in the SVO Gauge cluster with boost gauge under the Pace Car bezel. The body and interior would remain otherwise 100% stock Pace Car in appearance. Since I planned on doing a "frame off" restoration anyway, it could be a really clean transplant with everything done the right way. The only two concerns I have are, would this negatively affect the value of the finished product? I would need the car to be worth at least $6000 to not go upside down on the restomod. And secondly, if I kept all the original Pace Car parts neatly stored, am I doing a wrong by restomodding this very used but very original car? So here is the question I am putting to my FEP brothers, should I do this SVO restomod (which I really want to do)? or should I restore it to bone stock (which a part of me thinks I should do)? I've never been in this position before. I've always bought cars that were already modified to some degree. I really want your opinions, I know they will be all over the map, there is no right or wrong, I just want to hear your opinions.
    Last edited by PaceFever79; 10-16-2013 at 06:54 AM.

There are so few PC survivors left. I wouldn't mess with modding the PC.

Quote Originally Posted by 417davidk View Post
    There are so few PC survivors left. I wouldn't mess with modding the PC.
    I hear ya, and, a part of me agrees... but then there is the devil on my shoulder whispering in my ear how much fun it would be to carve some corners and hit the boost and something exciting actually happens....

Honestly, I'm leaning toward a stock resto, but the SVO swap is so tempting.

Thanks for sharing your opinion!

Keep em coming...

I just realized, there is also a third option, to restore the mechanicals but leave the rest original. It is pretty run down with patina, but everything is original on this car, I could just leave it cosmetically as she stands, a true driver / survivor.

That would require the most discipline!

I think a EFI pace car would be a great car to drive and enjoy. Plus the increased horse power would be nice

Since the car is 99% original, I've decided to go with a stock restoration. I will probably upgrade a few things along the way, like Aero front brakes to make it safer, but for the most part she will be rebuilt as she was made!

Here is one more option...Get the SVO, or a EFI turbo engine/trans, (good internals-more boost!) remove all the EFI stuff and rebulid and install the carb setup, with a nice header with x-over pipe and nice exaust, 5-speed, Turbo Coupe rear, aero front knuckles/brakes-if they clear the TRX wheels, Turbo Coupe sway bars, Konis and springs, with nice interior/exterior restoration. This way its stock looking and a lot more fun to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by E2ZZGLX View Post
    Here is one more option...Get the SVO, or a EFI turbo engine/trans, (good internals-more boost!) remove all the EFI stuff and rebulid and install the carb setup, with a nice header with x-over pipe and nice exaust, 5-speed, Turbo Coupe rear, aero front knuckles/brakes-if they clear the TRX wheels, Turbo Coupe sway bars, Konis and springs, with nice interior/exterior restoration. This way its stock looking and a lot more fun to drive.
    I got the SVO..... but decided it is too good to part out... and after debating the Pace Car a million times in my head, I've decided that because it is still 99% original, I'm going to restore it as original as possible or practical. I'm not going to get all MCA anal about it, but I'm going to repair and rebuild as much of it as I can to original spec. I might tweak and tamper with the engine internals a bit, but for the most part (on the surface) I'm going to restore it to original specification... including $1300 worth of Coker TRXs

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

I got the SVO..... but decided it is too good to part out... and after debating the Pace Car a million times in my head, I've decided that because it is still 99% original, I'm going to restore it as original as possible or practical. I'm not going to get all MCA anal about it, but I'm going to repair and rebuild as much of it as I can to original spec. I might tweak and tamper with the engine internals a bit, but for the most part (on the surface) I'm going to restore it to original specification... including $1300 worth of Coker TRXs
    I like the stock restoration idea! Good for you and congrats!
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

FEP Senior Member

Love the car. From what I have seen over the years A LOT of '79 Pace Cars were put away with low miles. By a lot I mean more than most of the other "special" models. 68k is low but not crazy low.

If it were me (and the SVO ended up being partable), I would have installed that engine/trans/brakes/suspension. And then would have taken my time restoring/rebuilding the original drivetrain to put on the shelf for later installation when the box stock restoration took place. The patina is fun but a good paint job will cost close to your total budget. And you will have $10,000 in a car when you could have bought one 100% original for about the same price.
    1986 Saleen #26 - Saugus Pace Car
    1988 Range Rover Classic - The Shop Truck

Quote Originally Posted by thecrimsoncat View Post
    Love the car. From what I have seen over the years A LOT of '79 Pace Cars were put away with low miles. By a lot I mean more than most of the other "special" models. 68k is low but not crazy low.

If it were me (and the SVO ended up being partable), I would have installed that engine/trans/brakes/suspension. And then would have taken my time restoring/rebuilding the original drivetrain to put on the shelf for later installation when the box stock restoration took place. The patina is fun but a good paint job will cost close to your total budget. And you will have $10,000 in a car when you could have bought one 100% original for about the same price.
    Thanks man!

I have painted cars over the years and have tools and space, so new paint is about $1000 materials + $400 for a graphics package I picked up a while back. The biggest "bill" will be the hundreds of hours of my time, peacefully tooling away in the garage every night after work. I'm getting fairly attached to both cars and look forward to a slow methodic restoration.
    Last edited by PaceFever79; 10-22-2013 at 02:17 PM.

FEP Senior Member

Thanks man!

I have painted cars over the years and have tools and space, so new paint is about $1000 materials + $400 for a graphics package I picked up a while back. The biggest "bill" will be the hundreds of hours of my time, peacefully tooling away in the garage every night after work. I'm getting fairly attached to both cars and look forward to a slow methodic restoration.
    Ah! Your a painter! A skill I wish I had dearly. That wil make the car much cheaper to restore as well as your SVO project. Good luck and looking forward to progress! Are you going to keep the ten holes or try to go back to trx's?
    1986 Saleen #26 - Saugus Pace Car
    1988 Range Rover Classic - The Shop Truck

I like that you are going with the stock restoration. I have always told myself I would never want to mess with a carb'd 2.3T, but if I had a great original car like that I would definitely go that route. I think you will earn quite a bit of credibility around here by doing so. Good luck, I look forward to seeing your progress!!!

Excellent on going original!!

Pulled the motor and trans out tonight, took me about 5 hours by myself (not bad)

I spy a newer Turbo!

Last edited by PaceFever79; 10-27-2013 at 12:24 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast