Close

Default how do i find out the unit number to my car?

i just got this car VIN 1FABP26M3GF248668 its a 1986 fhp 5.0 notch 5spd. non center console and complete tan interior. so how do i find out what unit number it is?

this is my car

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by 86fhp; 10-09-2013 at 09:38 PM.

That's a great project car, congrats on the pick up. Are you looking for a number related to its police duty or the consecutive unit number (in relation to when it was built)?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Only two ways I can think of, and neither are easy.

1. Sand down the top coat of black paint on the roof and hope that the unit number shows through.
    2. Try to get the original title or auction bill of sale and hope that the unit number was marked on it.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

title does not have it....lets hope the sanding will do it...lol

So you have the original 1986 title (or an image of it from FLHSMV archives), i.e. the title that shows FHP as the owner of it?
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

This is what I mean...

1992 FHP #1164 with image of original 1992 title (showing FHP as owner, and unit number hand written on top of title): http://www.specialservicemustang.net...info136841.htm

Courtesy of Special Service Mustang.net
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 10-10-2013 at 08:36 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

no i don't. had some other owners before me...i got it from a car lot.

FEP Senior Member

There may be an ink pencil marking on the drivers doorjamb area that could be covered in a repaint. Clean the area well and see if there's a ghosted image of it still visible through the paint. Lots of municipalities did this for the shop to quickly identify what car was in need of service.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

You might be able to get a complete microfilm title history. See here: http://www.flhsmv.gov/data/past.html
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 10-10-2013 at 12:27 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

It will be difficult. The previous owner did the microfilm, and nothing was noted. I agree with the paint removal on the roof to be your best bet. They did not do a good job prepping the car for resale. My paint is flaking up at such a rate that I could probably remove the black with a pressure washer and hope for some residue of the number. In the old days, you could get a crash report. I procrastinated too long.

are you saying you know the po and he did do a microfilm on it?

Sorry, but I left out a few words when I was typing. The previous owner of my car did, but it showed nothing helpful.