Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 1986 ASC Eurocoupe build thread

I am finally in pocession of my 86 Eurocoupe. I know a few wanted vin and pics and said I would post it is really an incredible car and feel fortunate to have it. I stated in my other thread the car has alot of wierd options it is not supposed to have. It was manufactured by Mclaren and not the northtowne dealership in Kansas City. 26 Cars were done by them and 21 done by Mclaren. of the 21 done by Mclaren only nine were white. It is definatley 1 of nine it also said most of the early built one were t-top cars to make up for the lack of options in the eurocoupe. Mine is a hard top car. of the differences of what was supposed to be there and what is there are Leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob not even offered as an option but on mine. the smoked 1/4 glass was not an option it was supposed to have the plexi on the quarter faux vent as mine does but not the glass cover. The ASC Mclaren is supposed to be stickered on the back and mine has a little ASC black plastic and chrome emblem on the hatch. It does have the asc sticker still though worn on the smoked plexi on 1/4 windows. the only other badging anywhere on the car is in the front grill where it has the ASC emblem as well.
    It was my understanding that the Eurocoupes were supposed to have the grey standard seats with red piping on the mine has the grey with grey piping normally found in full production coupes as well as a 140 speedo which was available as an option but should have recieved the 85 speedo. it is really an intresting car it was hit in the front but met with my body guy this morning and the damage is pretty minor mostly cosmetic and bolt on stuff. we will put it on the frame machine to make sure everything is 100% correct though before the rebuild starts. The engine bay is as complete as I have seen one all factory with all emissions stil intact and functioning the car runs incredible and am looking forward to returning the car in as near perfect factory condition as possible. I have an 86 rs capri as well that has been modded and it will be a trip to drive one origanal and then drive it. as well as having the two side by side to really compare the difference between the two. It ought to make a fun time at cars shows anyways. Enjoy the pictured if I can get the to postName:  140 speedo.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  52.5 KBName:  back carpet.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  44.4 KBName:  back end.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  76.0 KBName:  back seat.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  50.3 KBName:  buck tag and mclaren tag.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  68.8 KB

well it says only five photos per post so this may take a while LOLName:  close up of wheel.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  68.7 KBName:  dash interior.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  45.2 KBName:  drivers side door panal.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  56.2 KBName:  drivers side smoked plexi.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  39.5 KB

more picsName:  front seats.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  64.3 KBName:  interior shot straight seats.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  40.5 KBName:  intrior drivers seat.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  49.6 KBName:  Mclaren tag.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  49.7 KBName:  Mclaren tag and last 6 of vin.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  77.1 KB

more picsName:  Motor shot.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  70.1 KBName:  Motor shot 1.jpg
Size:  70.6 KBName:  Motor shot.jpg
Size:  70.1 KBName:  origanal window stickers.jpg
Size:  27.8 KBName:  pasanger door panal.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  66.6 KB

more picsName:  passanger side dash and carpet.jpg
Size:  44.2 KBName:  passenger seat.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  55.9 KBName:  rims on the car now.jpg
Size:  59.9 KBName:  side shot of ass end.jpg
Size:  32.7 KB

Name:  seat belt sticker.jpg
Size:  36.1 KBName:  smoked  with asc.jpg
Size:  37.7 KBName:  tag on back of car.jpg
Size:  26.3 KBName:  Vin tag.jpg
Size:  100.1 KBName:  wheels.jpg
Size:  83.6 KB

now the bad Name:  pic of damage.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  70.1 KBName:  pic of damage 2.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  57.7 KBName:  pic of damage 3.jpg
Size:  64.2 KBName:  pic of damage 4.jpg
Size:  56.0 KBName:  rust damage to car.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  60.2 KB

I was kinda laughing at the last picture it's tagged as rust damage that is what he was concerned about as far as rust goes. There is another spot on the hatch on the passanger side that has the same thing. I think it is more just discoloration and probably toothpaste and a little bruch would remove the under side is just as clean floor pans are the most solid I have seen for the mileage. The car is in need of a clutch the first one the tranny has never been off the car in 148,000 mile it's pretty amazing how babied this was. The p.o. t-boned some one that was going about forty and really just drug the front end over we feel confidant it will be a fairly easy fix. New hood new drivers front fender and paint. as I stated before I plan to return to complete factory condition. We will be pulling motor trans rear end all interior and doing a complete restoration and paint all suspension will be freshened and painted as with the rear housing. We will go through the motor new seals all gaskets and timing chain, check cam and lifters and maybe honed and rering if needed. Go through the trans new clutch and pressure plate and clean clean clean the motor repaint block and reassemble. wish me luck on the journey it will take a while as I have a project before this a 69 camaro but will try to keep up with all that happens
    Scott

Scott,

Congrats on your purchase. Sounds like a really interesting car. I'm glad to see it being saved. By the looks of you Red '86, I'm sure this one will come out great. I can't wait to see the progress.

Thank you I hope I can do the same justice to this one. I will try to take pics and update as we go.

Congrats on the new Capri, it sounds like the history is unique on this one. I can't wait to see her all restored, those orange wheels are killer especially against a white car. If you have any full body shots (from a little further back) I would love to see them.

Have fun and congrats!
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Mike I will get more pics from farther away I had those on my phone I had a freind who was asking details and was trying to take detailed pictures to explain while I was looking at the car and then on the road in Illinois. I will try to get out and take more pictures tomorrow from farther away if I can

Great find Scott! It looks like repairs should be really straight forward. I'll be following this thread for sure and expect to see you at the shows next year! Very cool car!

Thanks Jim I think it will be cool having a factory correct on next to the red one I love my red but it will be rally neat to drive the white one as bone stock then drive the red one as modified since the red one is already modified I am still thinking of putting the coyote in that one it would be one tough car with all modern drive train not bad now but could be better

Fantastic car Scott! Can't wait to see more photos of this one, and see some resto progress!
    Chris Lott
    '81 Cobra T-Top - Black
    '85 Dominator GT - Black, 24k miles
    '85 Predator GT302R #150R - Light Regatta Blue
    '85 Predator GT302 Convertible #119 - White w/blue stripes For Sale
    '86 Texas DPS Mustang (Unit # unknown) - undergoing resto

Mike here are some more pictures from farther awayName:  Front End.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  78.3 KBName:  Front End (2).jpg
Size:  79.6 KBName:  Passenger Corner.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  46.0 KBName:  Passenger Corner Back.jpg
Size:  79.3 KB

Name:  Passenger Corner Back.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  79.3 KBName:  Drivers Corner Back.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  63.1 KBName:  Both Red & White.jpg
Size:  90.5 KBMore Pics from farther away

Name:  Passenger Side.jpg
Size:  100.8 KBName:  Drivers side 3.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  94.8 KBName:  Drivers Side 1.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  50.7 KBName:  Drivers Side.jpg
Size:  68.4 KBName:  passenger side (2).jpg
Views: 216
Size:  42.7 KB

Thanks for posting those. That is one sweet Capri, I can't wait to see it fully restored. If it was mine I would be chomping at the bit wanting to just put those wheels on. I'm just curious, is the 69 Camaro yours as well, or are you restoring that for a customer/friend?

Congrats again on this Capri. Its a special car, I'm glad its in the hands of someone that will do it justice.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Name:  drivers side on trailer.jpg
Size:  33.0 KBName:  front corner shot.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  56.9 KBName:  front end.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  70.3 KBName:  passenger side.JPG
Views: 211
Size:  101.9 KBMike Yes the 69 is mine as well Here is the pictures it has been a work in progress for seven years I could complete but every time I start working on it I buy another car. My wife has said she will kill me if I don't complete this year we are putting an LS-3 motor in it with a 4180e trans and a 9 inch rear should be a fun car when done. I like the camaro but the Capri's actually garner more attention. I think it's because most people have never seen one or just thought it was a mustang when they did. I get pulled over by people in my red one just to look at it some of the coments are hysterical.

Wow that's awesome. Last Camaro related question...is it a real Z28?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Mike,
    No it is not it was originally a V-8 car though 350 2 barrel it was Kelley green with the white hockey puck stripe when new. When we bought it in 1997 it was dark blue with black rally stripes with black interior origanal was white. It had a 350 4 barrel from some truck. I would never do what I am doing to it too a real car. It was rough when we got it the p.o. Decided it would be a good idea to hang new partial quarters and hang over existing quarters. There were cat prints in paint going across roof and hood the interior was not bad but I only gave 3000 for it and was able to drive it home. It spent five years at the body shop note to self never tell a body shop you are in no hurry. Seriously though the guy who did it gave me twice what I feel I paid for. The paint looks yellow and black but is really more of an orange with a lot of pearl and the stripes are a cappuccino deep dark brown in the one picture you can see the vette in the background it is millennium yellow and can really see what yellow looks like next to it.

We'll after 3 hours with a 15 foot chain and my big 3/4 ton 4x4 popping it in opposite direction of the accident we got the frame and front end pretty close. It will still have to go on frame machine for sure but got shroud lined out and put belt on it last night filled with fluids and found the radiator was leaking. So this morning I put the original radiator from the red car into the asc filled back up with fluids and took her for her first spin. I must stay impressive power even with clutch slipping a little bit. Fixed a couple of marker lights replaced the third eye bulbs and took her up to get inspected passed with flying colors. So on Tuesday I will go to DMV and get tags. Yippy I will post some more front pics tomorrow drove it about 40 miles and even let the wife take her for a spin.

Thanks to Kendal I got the bumper cover and new air dam today all I need now is the drivers front fender and a good hood and it will be off to the races with it. What is acceptable when restoring one of these cars. I am mostly wondering about suspension components and accessories like alt,power steering pump, A/C compressor air pump. This car has 144,000. miles on it and there has been nothing changed original clutch even brakes are original it did have pads once or twice the previous owner stated. Is poly bushings and such acceptable and can you find oem shocks struts and springs and stuff like that? Is aftermarket accessories ok? And can you find oem equipment new? The motor and trans will come out and be freshened the rear will be rebuilt with all new bearing and gears stock 3.08s. would it be alright to go to 3.27's or 3.55's or am I better off stock. when the dash comes out for paint I plan on new evaporator core and heater core as it went last weekend anyways and will change all vacum lines behind dash and check all wiring I am sure it is ok as everything on this car works door chimes and all. all input would be appreciated

I went thursday and got the tags for the car and friday replaced the two front bald tires. Saturday I tore into it we replaced the clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, flywheel, speedo cable and put front brakes and rotors and one caliper on drivers side would not retract so I changed it as well. the sppeo cable was making a most unbearable racket in the car annoying as hell. Everything went as expected on everything I have to thank four eyed pride when we finished the clutch was releasing about 3/4 of an inch off the floor with a quick search I found a thread on reseting the quadrant and worked great now clutch releases about 2 inches off the floor. perfect for me. Sunday I took her home and gave her a bath and a wax job. doesn't look to bad for original paint. I also met with the body guy friday and he was stunned it was the same car. very easy fix now he says. Still have to go on the frame machine and we will cut and replace both inner fender structures in front of strut towers drill all spot welds and ut back to original. He seams to think the hood may be savable as well still unsure of drivers front fender.Name:  back end up for clutch and brakes servicing.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  62.5 KBName:  up in the air for tans clutch brake service.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  68.8 KBName:  forward part of exhaust out for trans.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  54.8 KBName:  new clutch.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  54.8 KBName:  new flywheel.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  69.0 KB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast