Close

Default inner door belt weatherstrip replacement

I'm replacing the inner door belt weatherstrip on my 84 capri rs and noticed that the original weatherstrip is stapled the door panel. I don't have a staple tool to complete the install, but Late Model Restoration sells a screw set part#LRS-21456HDW do you think this would work? Or should I stay with the staples.
    Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

FEP Member

I just did this using the screw pac. Was easy cause they are self tapping screws. The only thing I did after installing was grind down the tip of the screw after installing because of it hitting the door when putting door panel back on. It took longer to remove old weatherstripping than put new ones on and reinstalling door panel. I used a small cutoff wheel to cut back of staples out.

Thanks for the reply I decided to go with rivets I have not installed them yet but I may have to grind them down a bit because they might hit the door

I screwed mine it too, pretty easy and had no grinding to do at all. I thought about the rivet idea but so far screws are working fine.
    Rob

current cars:
    83 GT Convertible
    83 Project GT T-Top Coupe
    84 GT T-Top Hatch
    86 GT Hatch low mile car
    00 V-6 Convertible

all white cars!

Quote Originally Posted by reborn 86 View Post
    I just did this using the screw pac. Was easy cause they are self tapping screws. The only thing I did after installing was grind down the tip of the screw after installing because of it hitting the door when putting door panel back on. It took longer to remove old weatherstripping than put new ones on and reinstalling door panel. I used a small cutoff wheel to cut back of staples out.
    I've done the exact same thing on 2 of my cars. Works fine.
    86 Notch under construction

2011 4Runner Trail edition
    2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

I used rivets, no need to grind them down for clearance.
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq