Close

Default Trunk/hatch question

I was replacing the interior in my 85 and found a 3 point "strap" attached to the floor in the hatch area. Bad thing was that the threaded inserts that go into the floor were spinning and I couldn't get the bolts out! I had to jack the car up, go underneath it and get my son to take the bolts while I held the bottom with vise grips! Is this strap just to hold down cargo or what purpose is for?

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krusher 5.0 View Post
    I was replacing the interior in my 85 and found a 3 point "strap" attached to the floor in the hatch area. Bad thing was that the threaded inserts that go into the floor were spinning and I couldn't get the bolts out! I had to jack the car up, go underneath it and get my son to take the bolts while I held the bottom with vise grips! Is this strap just to hold down cargo or what purpose is for?
    Sounds like the tie down for storing the t top or sun roof.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

It could be, being that mine has T-tops. I forgot about that.

I've been dismantling a 1993 with a sunroof that has that as well. I'd say that it is indeed for holding your t-tops/sunroof.
    CraigB
    1985 SVO - A bit of shell at the moment
    2003 SVT Focus - DD/Auto-X
    1984 SVO - #251 - Sold it like an idiot.

The 86 parts car has the 2 holes toward the seat and only the strap attached at the hatch latch, its a sunroof car.

Yeah mine is T-top and that strap is for holding down the T-Tops when they are off.