Close

Default 79 Capri Ghia 5.0 with 50,000 original miles

I've been looking for a project car and came across a 79 Capri Ghia 5.0 (automatic). It's a local car and I'm going to look at it today, any advice on what I should be on the lookout for?

I was looking for something different and maybe a little more rare and even on here I can't seem to find the production numbers for this model. Any help would be nice. Thanks.

Name:  aa1.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  63.6 KB

FEP Supporter

That's a nice looking Capri! I don't know anything about the numbers though. It's not something you see every day. I honestly didn't know they made a Capri "Ghia". Does it have badges etc. and all of the other key Ghia signs (interior upgrade et al)?

It looks like it could be a good project car either way. Good luck and welcome to FEP!

I was thinking the same thing...I don't think the Ghia name made it on the Capri? Capri's are rare regardless, but only in the sense that you don't see them on the streets anymore. Unless its a special edition like a Black Magic or Crimson Cat, Ford did make quite a bit of them back in the day. To me a rare car is one with low production numbers, not one with average or high production numbers that you just don't see anymore. Also, options don't make a car rare, so if a seller has something they are claiming as rare because it has a certain option ignore that and look at the total number produced. Otherwise you will end up with a common car that has a rare set of options...not the same as a rare car (IMO).

If you are really wanting a rare car I would look for a special edition. If you like the Mustang as well then try to find a Twister II, Predator, Dominator, SVO, GT Turbo, Saleen and to a lesser extent Pace Car or Cobra. Right now prices haven't taken off so you should be able to find something truely rare in the same price range as that Capri you posted.

Good Luck!
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Capri Ghia = 1979-1980
    Mustang Ghia = 1979-1981
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I did some reading and they were made. I saw a number in the mid 7000 range for production but I'd like to narrow it down to White 5.0's with an automatic. I'll look for some badge ID when I see the car. Here are a few more pictures, seems kinda plush on the inside which seems to be what the ghia option was for. Thanks for the info. I know they aren't worth much in the big picture but it would be nice to add to my local Mustang/Ford product club and have something different at shows.

Name:  aa2.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  23.4 KBName:  aa3.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  20.7 KBName:  aa4.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  28.0 KB

The second pic above shows the Ghia badge on the door panel.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thanks, I was trying to figure out what that was.

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Capri Ghia = 1979-1980
    Mustang Ghia = 1979-1981
    Interesting, good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    The second pic above shows the Ghia badge on the door panel.
    That's what I was expecting to see:

That looks like a nice example and the white leather interior is nice! As mentioned, rarity is relative. There can't be many of them left in that condition, but does that make it "rare"? Good luck with your decision!

Agreed on rarity being relative. Rare (to me) is something you don't see every day so I like that plus the fact it shares with the Mustang on the powertrain parts it should be easy to work on and still get parts for. I've had newer Mustangs and no matter what I did to make them different they still seemed like a dime-a-dozen car. I'll be checking it out later this afternoon. I don't want to assume but the motor should be easy to work on and maybe modify, is that accurate?

I'm not trying to find some collectible that will be worth something down the line. Just something fun and different.

That just shows my Capri ignorance, but I did learn something new. It sounds like this car is speaking to you, so hopefully it checks out and you can pick it up. I've never seen a Ghia Capri so please post if you do buy it, and start a build thread if you do any work. I would love to see more of this car.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Looks like a nice clean car, you don't see them all that often...
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

Hey onetrackrider, I see you have an 83 Capri 5.0. Is it easy to work on and get parts for?

Very easy, I just call my brother...lol...Actually I've done a ton of work to it myself, we have emissions out here & fortunately it's pretty stock so far that's been the biggest issue. I had converted in to a true dual exhaust & this last go around with the e-testing had an issue with a 88 Catted H pipe & a o ring in the carb had gone bad so a new H-pipe & carb rebuild & a little Methanol racing gas & she passed real nice..
    Biggest issue with parts was the rear lower control arm bushing and to my knowledge no one makes a replacement stock rubber bushing & poly ones are not a good replacement. A good friend from here set me up with a good set of lowers with good bushings. Everything else no problem. Fortunately I have a good friend who has his own garage who helps with advice, he advises & I do the work, not a bad trade off..
    Current rides:
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...

Sounds good. Our emissions here start with 1981's so with this being a 1979 I wouldn't have that issue. I know a guy with his own shop who loves working on older cars. I was thinking about swapping out the carb first thing if I pick this car up. If I get it I might need to pick your (and others) brain in the tech forums. Thanks.

Where are you at? Here 82 & newer have to be tested by the state 81-76 by private & 75 & older are antique, stinks really because you have to have factory emission eqpt on the car & if I find an old one I like & it's jacked up or highly modified I usually have to pass on it..Good clean org cars of this style are getting harder to find, I've been fortunate finding the ones I have..
    Current rides:
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...

Boise, Idaho. So I went and checked out the car. It's a lot more rough than it looked in the pictures. The one thing that makes it almost worth it, the interior is like new, the dash looks brand new. The paint has light rust in spots but no major rust on the body and underneath it looks pretty good. All the trim is pulling up and it will need a repaint. I'm not sure about it, he wants $2200. I'm thinking $1500.

A quality Interior is a huge bonus IMHO, especially the plastic panels on a 79-80, a buddy of mine picked up a 79 coupe with a really nice int & a decent ext but the int made the car. When you start adding up the cost's involved to restore an interior let alone finding parts I think your money ahead...throw him your offer it can't hurt...
    Last edited by onetrackrider; 09-29-2013 at 09:46 PM.
    Current rides:
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by onetrackrider View Post
    throw him your offer it can't hurt...
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ101 View Post
    I'm not sure about it, he wants $2200. I'm thinking $1500.
    Be prepared to at least meet in the middle if you really wanted it I guess. Best case, like for us recently, that they take it! Especially if it has been sitting for a little bit

First Capri I've seen with this trim and those options.

Sure would like to see a Marti Report.

Would also like to see a Marti report. I have only ever seen one 79 Capri report and it was for an RS.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

If it runs good, has a nice Ghia interior, no major rust, needs TLC and a paint job, I think $2000 is right on the money. I would not be ashamed to pay $1800-2000, it seems like a square deal for a rare and very cool car.

It hasn't really been driven in 5 years. He lives 60 miles outside of town and he's going to be bringing it into town and leaving it with a friend since he's moving to Texas in a week. He's had a few interested parties but they wouldn't drive out to see it. He has someone willing to pay $2200, I told him to jump on it. If it falls through then we'll talk. Thanks for all the info and advice, it is appreciated.

Any word on this capri??