Close

Default 1983 Black Magic

11 years ago, I bought my first car; a 1983 Black Magic. With the help of a friend, I restored her to nearly like new condition. My dad convinced me that because I was young, it would be cheaper to let him hold the title so I could get a reduced rate on my insurance. I agreed. 3 years later, I left for college. When I returned home, it was gone. My dad had decided he needed some money, and he sold it out from under me because he held the title. About a month ago, I was going through his paper work and found the vin number. Using that, I was able to contact the current owner. Not surprisingly, he is not willing to sell it back to me. I'm glad it has a new home, but not as glad as I would be if it were in my garage.
    I am currently trying to track down another one since my dreams of reuniting with my car are gone. Although I have enough skill and resources to restore another one, I have two young children and probably would not have the time. I am looking for a 1983 Black Magic (I really like the bubble backs) without too much body damage or rust. As long as it's close to me (Lancaster, PA) it doesn't have to run well. I have a close friend that runs a towing business. It would need to turn over, though.
    If the car runs well, I can travel up to 1800 miles to come get it.
    My husband will probably only let me spend $5,000 on it. Actually, at that price (even though it's perfectly reasonable), he may not talk to me for a week, but it's worth it.
    I would greatly appreciate any help anyone has to offer.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by cronyism; 09-26-2013 at 09:48 PM.

Here ya go, If I'm not mistaken this is an members old car

bend.craigslist.org/cto/4069204267.html

[h=5.0 mercury (redmond)]2[/h]

1983 mercury capri "black magic" 5.0
    Very rare "black magic" option pakage for 1983
    Newer rebuild on engine I have paper work
    T-5 5 speed with new clutch
    Posi rearend
    New seals. Need to be installed
    H&R springs all the way around
    Koni adjustible struts
    Welded in subframe connectors
    Spare set of T-tops
    5 lug converted on 94 GT mustang wheels
    New dual exhaust and ceramic coated shorty headers
    I daily drive this car. It is VERY dependable and never left me stranded I've probably forgot somethings about it
    Looking for trades or cash $4000 OBO or both.
    Let me know what you have
    Call or text Travis at 541-977-0six9two
    Thanks for looking!
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

Thank you! I've actually been talking to him for the last two days. He is in Oregon, which is almost double the miles that I can travel. . Thanks for getting back to me so quickly though!

Not to mention, he directed me here. Great guy!

The 83 BM is like the Unicorn, only a few have come up in my searches over the past few years...
    Current rides:
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...

I know. I was actually thinking about buying the one you posted and having it shipped. I very scared of buying something sight unseen. I have some serious trust issues stemming from past experiences. Ha. I wouldn't know how to transfer a title long distance anyway. Sigh.

As mentioned above if it's the one I think it is it belonged to a member who had a thread on it so it was well documented the work that was done..
    you can always solicit the help of a member in the area to have a look at it.
    you have a PM by the way...
    Last edited by onetrackrider; 09-26-2013 at 10:23 PM.
    Current rides:
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...

Shipping on that would be less than 2k since I assume it runs well
    -Sam
    1982 Mustang GL two hatchbacks, 3.3l and 5.0l
    1983 Capri RS Black Magic Ttop
    1984 Capri RS Sunroof
    1984 Mustang GT 'Vert
    1985 Mustang LX SSP CHP 8337
    1985 Mustang LX SSP CHP 8362
    1985 Mustang LX 3.8l 'Vert

It does run well, but my better half won't allow me the extra money. I think I was quoted the shipping at just over $1000, but that's $1000 less that I have to spend on the car. My better half has me on a tight budget, because he knows I'm going to sink money into the car to get it the way I want it. He wants me to spend even less if I can't go look at the car and point out everything that needs to be done. That doesn't leave me enough money to pay the man what he is asking. He won't take what I could pay, and who could blame him.
    I guess I could start a fundraiser. Hahaha. The next door to door donation collector you see might be me!

Blog Entries

It's much better to spend more initially for a higher quality car than to go on the cheap side because of theoretical future improvements. Buying as much car as you can, especially with these cars and their current market values is absolutely the way to go, even if shipping is involved. Looking for such a rare car, shipping is almost guaranteed to be a factor.

As for concerns of buying without seeing, there's always the chance a member in good standing might be local and able to go and check a car out, take pictures, interview the seller as best as they can. It's no guarantee, but it sure doesn't hurt to have an enthusiast taking a look at something for you.

Welcome to the site and I hope we can help you get the right car.