Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    My mixture screws are between 1 to 1.25 turn (do this adjustment with the air cleaner in place, it will affect your A/F ratio on these carbs). You should be fine to road test in the 1 - 1.5 range, there is no chance it could hurt the engine at this setting. Take it for a ride, let it warm up, then try doing some off idle and rolling pulls, do a few with a steady tip in, and do a few with more aggressive throttle, you are checking to see how the carb transitions from cruise to power mode. Note how it does and we can take that from there. Also when you bring it home, re adjust the idle speed and mixture, then let it idle for 5 more minutes with no throttle input, shut it down and take a plug reading. That should give you an idea about the idle mixture. Repeat testing as needed. Forgot to mention, of course the right fuel PSI will help improve it more.
    I did a road test this morning and a few problems. Hard to explain, but jerk and hesitation when letting off the throttle and on the throttle from cruising speed (around 2000 rpm) and even sometimes just cruising. It wanted to stall on a slight down hill stop, but other than that idled smoothly at the lights. Also seemed to be a lot of ticking coming from the exhaust, I don't know if that's related, but I never had that before. It started pretty good from cold, but lots of condensation coming out the back pipes... again, not sure if that's related or just because weather is cooling off. It might be pointless to do any more adjustments until I get the fuel pressure to where it should be. The 2nd spring I put on is also too heavy, I have to put a lighter spring on.

My holley does the exact same thing, Surges at the same rpm as yours, Idles perfect sitting at light. Start to pull out and it hesitates once past part throttle its ok. Crusing down the highway at 65 runs great, I put a bigger pump shot nozzel in it felt better, Thought i figured it out ran good for awhile,Went to pull out from a stop, Bogged real bad then stalled.Fired right back up. I just cant seem to get this right. I some time wonder if its the gas we run today.

Quote Originally Posted by slimj View Post
    My holley does the exact same thing, Surges at the same rpm as yours, Idles perfect sitting at light. Start to pull out and it hesitates once past part throttle its ok. Crusing down the highway at 65 runs great, I put a bigger pump shot nozzel in it felt better, Thought i figured it out ran good for awhile,Went to pull out from a stop, Bogged real bad then stalled.Fired right back up. I just cant seem to get this right. I some time wonder if its the gas we run today.
    I put my Holley back on for now and it runs great. I wanted to try the Eddy to see what difference it makes, but that will have to come another time when I get the fuel pressure down. I did have a problem with the Holley a few months back,. I think it was flooding out. Probably stuck floats or secondary needle stuck open. The engine wouldn't run, idled rough and black smoke out the back. I took it off, sprayed it up with carb cleaner and that seemed to fixed it right up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12