Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 872 original mile 1982 Mustang GT Black

Already has a 10k bid. The paint looks real dull to be so low of miles,still nice time capsule.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang...US_Cars_Trucks

Blog Entries

If you watch the video, that thing is crazy clean under the hood. The paint does look pretty bad on the drivers side, almost like a repaint that still needs to be buffed out, but the rest of the car looks pretty nice.
    Bryan
    1985 LTD Police Package

I love those seats, especially in a black car. I would be pissed that my dad wouldn't let me make payment to him or something, so that I could have it.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

FEP Power Member

I have a feeling this is that same guy that uses the dead dad story in all of his ads. Now, the story seems to involve dad losing his license. So his dad hasn't driven since 1982???

Could be a very good find for someone looking for a low mile car depending on what is reserve is. Personally i found more questions than good info in his ad. If the car sat inside for all those years after being parked i don't get the paint being so dull. Not like it sat out in sunlight. If it just needs waxed/buffed liked he says then why wouldn't you do that or pay someone a couple hundred bucks for a full detail. Also says it was never ran until they decided to sell it. They then drained all fluids and replaced. Mentions it still needs a tuneup. A tuneup can be done for under a hundred bucks. For less than $500 you give the car the things he says it needs and make the car much more capable of briinging top dollar over how it sits right now. Would make it worth much more than the money spent imo. That is just the first couple things i pick up on. I don't know, just have a funny feeling about this ad. Hopefully it is legit and they don't have the reserve set at some unreasonable, ridiculous amount of money.
    Current: 81 Cobra T Top, 79 Cobra.
    Past Toys: 1964 Falcon Vert, 1966 Mustang(owned twice), 70 Conv, 1978 Mustang II(first car), 80 Cobra, 81 Cobra, 82 GT T-Top, 85 GT 3,900 miles, 85 Predator/Twister 5S-0149, 86 Saleen 177, 86 SVO, 86 Mustang GT, 86 Mustang GT Vert, 87 Mustang GT, 89 Mustang Notch, 2003 Mustang GT Roush Clone, 2006 Mustang V6(Stainless Works LT's, MBRP cat back, 3.73's, tb, cai), and my favorite 2002 Mustang GT MPH 302 stroker, KB 2.2, TKO 500 640rwhp/591torque.

I didn't know these cars came with extra padding for the seats? Anyone ever heard of that? I agree that sellers should just do the "little clean-up" or "quick once over" that they claim their car needs to be perfect, that is especially true with a car like this. Predator is right, the $500 he would spend getting a professional tune up and detail he would surely get back in the sales price. I get that people are lazy, but when your trying to sell a sub 1000 mile car for top dollar, why wouldn't you do everything you could to make it look like a sub 1000 mile car?

I also think its strange that a guy would buy a car like this new, drive it 6 months, lose his license (forever apparently), then keep the car. You would think that he would have sold the car decades ago? Why hang onto it back then? It was just a car during the 80's and 90's, not a collector car. Unless he thought that the relaunch of the GT and the fact that the "Boss is Back," we're enough to make it a future collectible? I applaud him if that was his reasoning.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

It is a lumbar pad that can be positioned in the seat back, not really extra padding. Too bad it doesn't have a/c.
    89 LX 5.0 kenne bell
    93 Saleen spyder #49 vortech
    85 2A Mustang GT 5.8 efi / vortech
    91 Mark 7 LSC SE
    01 F350 turbo diesel
    08 Focus SES (aka. the beer can).

A Mustang without boost, is like a day without sunshine. got boost?

That engine looks spotless.
    Mike

84 Mustang GT Turbo Vert
    86 Mustang GT T-Top
    95 Mustang GT Vert
    05 Mustang GT

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear86 View Post
    I didn't know these cars came with extra padding for the seats? Anyone ever heard of that? I agree that sellers should just do the "little clean-up" or "quick once over" that they claim their car needs to be perfect, that is especially true with a car like this. Predator is right, the $500 he would spend getting a professional tune up and detail he would surely get back in the sales price. I get that people are lazy, but when your trying to sell a sub 1000 mile car for top dollar, why wouldn't you do everything you could to make it look like a sub 1000 mile car?

I also think its strange that a guy would buy a car like this new, drive it 6 months, lose his license (forever apparently), then keep the car. You would think that he would have sold the car decades ago? Why hang onto it back then? It was just a car during the 80's and 90's, not a collector car. Unless he thought that the relaunch of the GT and the fact that the "Boss is Back," we're enough to make it a future collectible? I applaud him if that was his reasoning.
    Well, the short answer to your question is that the story is probably a huge crock. Again, I kinda feel that this is tje guy we all flamed with the "dad just died" stories in those ads last year. I remember him having some negative feedback on some blogs from cars he sold. It looks like he probably just changed his name but the stories still ring the same. Now, if we can just figure out where he's finding all these low mile cars.....

FEP Senior Member

A fine line here that can be easily crossed. A person can do a lot of bad things with a "full tune-up." Person can do even worse with a buffer and some compound on 31 year old single stage paint. Think the less this seller touches/touched the car the better.

Noac is right. A lot of harm can be done to a car just doing a tune up and buffing the car out. People start with little things on the tune up and them break things like hoses, and before long they are modify things. The car being 100% stock helps it value even it doesn't run the best. If it just going to be sitting in a museum stock is king.
    I have seen a lot dark colored cars screwed up by people who "buffs cars out all the time". Better to leave it to the buyer. I would guess the paint got that way from not being covered well and dust sitting on the paint.

Not the same guy with dead dad story as he gives out phone number of dad to call for more info. So if somebody really has to know why it was parked call him.

This is a cool car however it should be kept in a museum at this point. It is to nice to make a driver out of.

Jerermy

I too have to completely agree with the 2 above posts. Start buffing on the old, thin '80s paint and the next thing you know you're buffing primer. In fact, I would be MORE suspect if the car was super shiny and the pics weren't taken inside a nice, climate controlled storage building, (As in part of a collection), than I am looking at the auction pics with the car sitting on a gravel drive. As for the car's back story, I would be confident that the folks running up the bids to 25, in the amount of $16,100 so far, have at least talked to the seller. And I would hope most of them have arranged to personally, or, a 3rd party, inspect the car.

Actually that single stage paint can fade and become dull just from sitting...sun or no sun. If you recall my resurrection thready of my '82 GT back in 2008, I spent 18 hours with 6 different steps of compound, polish, glaze and wax on my car to bring back the shine. My Medium Red was faded to a dull, almost lavender tint thanks to nearly 20 years of just sitting and never being waxed. It was in a barn and then a garage with little exposure to the sun.

My car buffed out really nice...no fear of the paint being too thin from my experience. However you have to be really careful on the sail panels and the airdam as they are showing signs of being polished all the way through to the black primer.

And wow....Reserve Not Met at $16k?
    Last edited by sowaxeman; 09-23-2013 at 07:35 AM.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    And wow....Reserve Not Met at $16k?
    Holy poopstain! I'll second that statement.
    I push my fingers into my eyes......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update - 2023 - Looking to buy 81 Mustang, 82/85/86 Mustang GT, and 79 - 86 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars or convertibles - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.

Cool car....
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Wow,four days left on bidding and its at $16,500 already!!! I think i would have already sold it at that price....someone must really want that 82 GT!! I wonder what the reserve is???

Blog Entries

I don't think the price is all that shocking. It could and probably should head towards 18-20 if the car is as it presents to be. Look at the low mile 85 and 86 GT sales. This has a bit more historical significance being the return of the GT and the first of the H.O. GT Foxes. Pure cars are going to start bringing the cash.

FEP Power Member

Sorry, but that just doesn't look like an 872 mile car. I'm not sure where the spotless engine bay is coming from. I see a dingy looking engine bay with peeling paint and surface rust along the firewall etc. The car overall just looks dingy. The pedals also always tell a story. Those pedals look like they've seen more than 872 miles. Maybe I'm wrong, but how would you ever ultimately prove that the car TRULY had sub-1000 miles when it looked like this? We've all seen plenty of sub-10K miles cars that look brand spanking new. This is definitely not a car that I would even consider any big coin on.

The red 85 with 1800 miles sold recently for 18k. That was a way better car than this 82. I cant believe it is already at 16.5 and not met reserve. This car just is not worth it in it's current condition.
    Current: 81 Cobra T Top, 79 Cobra.
    Past Toys: 1964 Falcon Vert, 1966 Mustang(owned twice), 70 Conv, 1978 Mustang II(first car), 80 Cobra, 81 Cobra, 82 GT T-Top, 85 GT 3,900 miles, 85 Predator/Twister 5S-0149, 86 Saleen 177, 86 SVO, 86 Mustang GT, 86 Mustang GT Vert, 87 Mustang GT, 89 Mustang Notch, 2003 Mustang GT Roush Clone, 2006 Mustang V6(Stainless Works LT's, MBRP cat back, 3.73's, tb, cai), and my favorite 2002 Mustang GT MPH 302 stroker, KB 2.2, TKO 500 640rwhp/591torque.

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree on this one. 872 miles? I'm having a difficult time believing that with the wear on the snorkel vacuum motors, the brake master cylinder and booster behind it. Look at the areas inboard of the rear back up lights. And that interior just doesn't scream 872 miles. The pedals look like they have more than their share of wear on them. The ashtray and graphics module bezel look more like they are from an 80,000 mile car (and I'm talking more than just the "dust"). The "GT" emblem on the rear looks like it was put on by a drunk sailor on shore leave (no offense to any sailors out there). And I know all those who will say that the emblems were put on by people. Sorry, that looks really bad. I've seen cars with 20 - 30K on them that look better than this.

Quote Originally Posted by HAD85B4 View Post
    Sorry, but that just doesn't look like an 872 mile car. I'm not sure where the spotless engine bay is coming from. I see a dingy looking engine bay with peeling paint and surface rust along the firewall etc. The car overall just looks dingy. The pedals also always tell a story. Those pedals look like they've seen more than 872 miles. Maybe I'm wrong, but how would you ever ultimately prove that the car TRULY had sub-1000 miles when it looked like this? We've all seen plenty of sub-10K miles cars that look brand spanking new. This is definitely not a car that I would even consider any big coin on.
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by HAD85B4 View Post
    I'm starting to think the same HAD85B4. For me myself to fork over 16k for an 872 mile 82 GT it would have to look showroom fresh because paying that much coin for a car it should look the part also. Ever who buys this car is gonna ether leave as is and call it a "survivor" or fork over some cash for a professional detailer to make it look showroom new. I have a friend that does that kind of detailing(Ferrari's,Bentley's,Lamborghini's,etc) and i showed him this car and he said his price to bring it to showroom new would be around $1k or more. For that price it includes hand detailing every inch of the car(engine,suspension,interior,etc) with high dollar cleaners and waxes. He's got some wax that cost $500 an oz. that has to be applied with your bare hands.

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

real collectors that value a car like this DONT want normal detailers anywhere around it. The natural aged patina is what makes a car like this valuable to collectors. All this car needs is a qualified restorer that truly understands how to put a "light" refreshening on the car. They know what to freshen up and most importantly what NOT to freshen up. If you've ever seen what a nationally recognized restorer of vintage mustangs (like a Perkins, Meyers, etc.) can do to lightly freshen up a truly original car, like a 1969-1970 Boss 302/429 you'll see the difference. They know exactly what to touch and most importantly what not to touch. They also understand and have studied all of the natural finishes, what ages, what doesn't and how they age. Personally, I would love to have a car like this, you just need to hire a qualified restorer to freshen it up. Atleast the seller knows not to mess anything up that may devalue it.

I'll play devils advocate on the mileage...I can believe it. Look at the surroundings of the car....gravel and rain, so the drivers floorboard and pedal are going to look like sh!t after just pulling it out of the garage and getting in and out a few times. That engine bay looks about par for 31 years, regardless of miles. My '82 with 14k has similar rust/paint peel on the air inlet vacuum valves. My brake booster is all peeled and surface rust. If the car has never been cleaned, of course it's going to look dingy. And the camera/photo quality is crap. I'd really like to see the underbody...but so far what I see I can believe the mileage, just can't understand why you would never drive it.

If anybody on this board buys it and want's somebody to freshen it up over the winter...feel free to ship it to me after the purchase and I'll give it the TLC it deserves and have it ready for the 50th come April :-) Wouldn't be the first time I've spent countless hours massaging the paint of a neglected '82. And I have a local carb guy that will rebuilt that 2bbl for $159, having it look and run like new.

BTW...anyone know what the additional pull lever thingy is under the dash between the hood lever and fog-lights....my car doesn't have it?
    Last edited by sowaxeman; 09-23-2013 at 02:49 PM.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post

BTW...anyone know what the additional pull lever thingy is under the dash between the hood lever and fog-lights....my car doesn't have it?
    I was wondering if anyone would notice those, (there's one on the passenger side also). Since the car does not have factory A/C, those are for opening up floor vents on the kick panels.

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

I want to see the underside of the car. Looks nice
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast