Close

FEP Senior Member

Default T5 shifting problem...

I rebuilt the T5 that is in my 86 a few months ago. I have built about a dozen t5s and this is the first one to give me any grief. All of the synchronizers and bearings are brand new and everything is shimmed properly. It upshifts perfectly and has not given me any problems at all. Sometimes when I downshift into second it is like it hit a wall. Other times it goes right in. Both shift forks are in perfect shape and the 1-2 fork is a brand new OE fork. I do not believe this is in the gears or synchronizers, but the shift mechanism itself. There is a pice on the shift mechanism in the top plate that I have a question about.

The peg that sticks out is square and rotates freely on mine. Is this right? I don't recall any of the previous T5s doing this.
    1986 Notchback, Recently repainted Light Regatta Blue(3J) and getting put back the way it should be. It had a 3.8 and a C5. Now it has a 5.0 and a T5.

FEP Senior Member

Does anyone have a T5 apart that they can look at?
    1986 Notchback, Recently repainted Light Regatta Blue(3J) and getting put back the way it should be. It had a 3.8 and a C5. Now it has a 5.0 and a T5.

I've sometimes muddled the top plate up when its been apart, but it pretty much works or it doesn't when you finally get it all back together.

That picture you showed is installed with a roll pin and it has the big "C" shaped shifter part wrapped around it.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Here's some pic's. Hope they can help!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    85 5.0 LX Coupe

FEP Senior Member

In the first pic the pin is sticking straight up. Does that turn or is it solid in that block?

It is solid.
    85 5.0 LX Coupe

FEP Senior Member

Mine spins. That may be my problem. It may be catching on a burr when I downshift.

Oh! I see what you are talking about. The square peg in your part actually rotates and is not a part of the casting like in your pic. Makes sense.

FEP Senior Member

The pic is from NPDs website. Mine looks like the one posted above. It would make more sense if it was one piece like the one they sell. I am going to see if a friend of mine still has the trashed T5 he pulled out of his car. That part should still be good. I have a leak in my T5, so I will use this as a chance to reseal it.

FEP Senior Member

I got that part out of that other T5. It is solid like was mentioned above. Not only does mine spin, but it comes out about an 1/8". I am pretty sure this is what is causing my problems.

Good catch.

FEP Senior Member

I pulled my transmission this morning. When I pulled the top plate I found a little surprise. Once I took tension of the peg it looked like this.

It was just a matter of time before it fell out. I am going on a road trip this weekend and I can only imagine this would have destroyed my T5. It shifts much smoother between first and second gear, but I am still having downshifting problems. I may just have to live with it. It is better.

Great find!

Nice find! I'll check that on the T-5 I am rebuilding now!

David

It's sure is a good think you found that out before something bad happen!
    85 5.0 LX Coupe

FEP Senior Member

I figure if I had not found it I would be replacing a cluster gear. That thing would have shredded my transmission. It could have fell out while I was going down the road and locked it completely up.