Close

Default Vanilla Interior

82 GLX Black with Vanilla Interior...The problem I'm having is, 1...finding any parts in this color, one year only, 2...correct color dye for plastic, and crapy quality work that a "pro interior" guy did on doing them. So here is what I found at Auto parts store in a can a duplicolor in the correct or almost perfect match for the Vanilla...Its a GM color. I have cleaned and prepped all the hard plastic and painted, looks really good, found correct headliner material in correct color. So Im stuck on all the rear plastic panels-soft panels, 1/4's and rear. What I was thinking that may work here is having paint supply store "mix" some exterior paint in the color code I'm currently using, a little flatting 20%, flex agent, using spray gun, plastic prep or something to soften plastic and then laying down the paint. Any thoughts and has anybody tried doing this with success? I trying NOT to take the easy way out and do a black interior swap as I think that this combo looks good when done right.

If you take your interior color code from the door label you should be able to go to your local automotive paint supplier and have them mix an interior paint for your plastic parts. There are essentially two types of interior mixes. One is for the soft flexible plastic parts and the other is for the hard plastic and metal parts. You can use the same paint on both although the flexible doesn't seem to hold up as well on the hard surfaces that get abrasion from normal use. The other big issue is prep before spraying. You need to make sure that your parts are CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN!!!!!!!!! There are several options and your paint supplier can offer theirs. I used to use a product by Oatey that was a prep spray that removed all silicones, grease, etc. and even the original color from plastic parts, but never had a paint failure when using it. I also like MEK, but you have to be careful as it's nasty stuff and toxic. Also you don't want to soak any plastics in it as it will eat them! But it does a great job of getting them clean before painting.

The paint you purchase generally will be ready to spray, I like to buy it in quart size and use my spray guns and compressor. Some stores can still mix it and put it into aerosol cans for you although it's more expensive, the choice is yours. If you have a compressor, but no spray gun, the small gravity feed unit available at Harbor Freight, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc will generally do just fine. Just make sure you practice and get your spray pattern and material flow set before beginning.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller