Close

Default 1985 Mustang GT Value

Hey, I found a one owner white 1985 Mustang GT. body is in good shape with original paint. 96k on car with 5spd, sunroof, A/C, no power doors, int. is good. only rust is bottom of the doors. the only after market parts is the exhaust. I like the car but not crazy about sunroof. but a nice car overall. he is asking 5K for it. any input would be great. Thanks

Without pics and a test drive, it sounds like a $3500-4000 car, but paint condition and color factors in. Having original paint helps expose any sunroof rust issues, so that shouldn't be a worry. If the door rust is only surface rust on the bottom edges or inside along the skin seam, that can be sanded and neutralized and hand painted without respraying the car.
    Last edited by PaceFever79; 09-17-2013 at 08:47 AM.

Sounds a little on the high side to me too. Pictures would really help to see conditon and possibly how the car is optioned.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

sounds like thats in the ballpark, but, really depends on the overall condition of the car and how original it is. desireable color and 5 speed ranks it high for me. rust in the doors notso much, just depends. post pictures and we might help more. i think if you got it for 4k would be a great deal in really nice condition and running very well. sunrrof not that bad of a deal, as I've had many, but, just needs to be a factory optioned roof, NOT aftermarket. best of luck, sounds like a nice car, but, they all sound nice to me!

Thank you for the reply's. It is a factory sunroof I will try to get some pictures. I would like to offer him 4K but I also didn't want to insult him. the car has been sitting in his basement. for a few years. there is some mold in the int. but nothing to bad. its a rusty jones treated car. thanks again.

I don't know what rusty jones is, but if it is undercoating, you need to look carefully for signs of rust hidden by undercoating on all the floors and up where the upper control arms mount. I'm not saying it is there, but undercoating can hide trapped moisture and corrosion especially in a PA vehicle (unless it was never ever driven in the salt and you believe him)

Default Pictures

Here are a couple of pictures. sorry about Ipod pictures.

Attachment 64575Attachment 64574Attachment 64576Attachment 64577

looks good. Around here that would be a $6,000 car.

Yeah, if its as nice in person I don't think 5K is a bad price. Rusty Jones was a rust treatment back in the 80's. He looked like a lumberjack from the decal they used to put on the cars that received the treatment. "Hello Rusty, Hello Rusty, Hello Rusty Jones." That was the jingle. He was another terrible red headed stereotype. We get no respect. Lol
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

that is good looking car
    Always Stay Humble. -Sinister-

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

not a bad start...but I'm VERY biased toward zero rust cars so the doors would kill it for me....but, like any car, at the right price, it should still be considered. hey, 5k would justify going for it. Usually the doors are just indicators of other rust, if it's there you really need to look the entire car over, check the rear hatch trailing edge where the license plate lights are mounted from tip to tip. If rust is there, then you need to start digging even deeper toward the undercarriage, torque boxes, frame rails, lower door frames, etc. best of luck.

fox bodies are going up in price every year. unmolested original paint cars are not being built anymore. if that is indeed original paint, rust free and looks as good in person as it does in the pictures i don't see how you could go wrong at $5K. but i would try to negotiate it down a bit too..

Looks like a nice car to me. Get dirty crawl all over it Look at everything. Sounds fair to me. Negotiate point out the flaws Good Luck
    85 GT Vert 5 Speed 42K original miles As of right now Stock to the bone well not so much bolt ons going on

Specially look under the drivers seat area for rust and cracks around the drivers seat.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

4k wouldn't be insulting considering the rust issues.