Close

Page 51 of 55 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1357

Excellent job! And I personally like the steelies better!
    Jim DeAngelis
    Cornucopia of Useless Knowledge
    Connoisseur of Dearborn Ferrous Oxide
    '83 GT hatch, currently under the knife
    '79 Capri 2.3L n/a, Medium Copper metallic, survivor
    (bought from MRausch82)

Car looks great.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

FEP Member

love this car! great job

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    Excellent news that we'll be seeing it out next weekend. I'm a little excited to take mine out to show it off too.
    Ed. I hope the weather is good. If it's anywhere close to today, I will not take it out.

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    Your 79 coupe turned out just awesome. I absolutely love it, even the styled steel wheels with trim rings.

Congrats on another job well done!
    Thanks Joe. Your work is inspiration to many (now that PB is showing all your pictures again!)!

Quote Originally Posted by FB71 View Post
    I am quite fond of them too! Long term plans is to have a set of TRX repros to share between cars.

Quote Originally Posted by roush235 View Post
    Car looks great.
    Quote Originally Posted by kfxmatt View Post
    love this car! great job
    Thanks guys! Hopefully I will get some enjoyment time in it this year!

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Ed. I hope the weather is good. If it's anywhere close to today, I will not take it out.
    I'm of the same mind. I've been watching the forecasts with hope for a decent day. I thought about going out to the brunch yesterday, then opted to work in the yard instead as it was showering in the morning.

WOOT WOOT!!!! Stoked she is all finished!
    -Currently Searching for "The One"

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Blainer View Post
    WOOT WOOT!!!! Stoked she is all finished!
    You and me both Blaine!

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    I'm of the same mind. I've been watching the forecasts with hope for a decent day. I thought about going out to the brunch yesterday, then opted to work in the yard instead as it was showering in the morning.
    Well Ed, the weather just is not cooperating for tomorrow for the Mustang Club show. I am not planning on taking the car out in the rain. While I normally would, I am not inclined to be re-detailing it this year for water spots

Name:  IMG_2551.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  28.7 KB

FEP Supporter

Default Some enjoyment!

It was not bad out this past Tuesday night so I went over to the garage I rent to go for a little jaunt.

I still need to get the choke and the fast idle set properly but it did start with not much issue.

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...lstuu.jpg.html

I guess I did about 30 miles. I still think the C3 transmission shifts too conservatively but oh well. A manual is quite a ways out I'm sure! That and the exhaust still has a drone to it between 2200 and 3000 RPM. It is right at the high end at 60 mph. I really would not want to do a long drive in it!

I am going to try the Steam_Mill fix and try to tune it a little. The 2.5" exhaust looks pretty plus the Flowmaster mufflers came with it but it is really a little too big for the V6 and needs a tune.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...x-really-works!

A couple of glamour shots. In the natural light I cannot see any real colour variation

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...njdwr.jpg.html
    http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...luiy4.jpg.html
    http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...hei2w.jpg.html

Oh. Guess what. The rear oil pan leak persists Maybe not so bad but TBD. Maybe the pan is warped a smidge? Frustrating to say the least
    Last edited by 82GTforME; 05-25-2019 at 12:35 PM.

Car looks good Darran, sad to not see it representing the four eyes at the show today. I get it though wanting to keep it pristine at least for a while after the second build.

I know how frustrating leaks can be. I redid my oil pan twice to get it sealed. Finally ditched the one piece gasket and went with the traditional four piece type to seal it at the back. So far I have not had any more trouble and no other leaks either.

The mustang looks really good Darran. I hope you get good weather to go cruising in now.

It was not bad out this past Tuesday night so I went over to the garage I rent to go for a little jaunt.

I still need to get the choke and the fast idle set properly but it did start with not much issue.

I guess I did about 30 miles. I still think the C3 transmission shifts too conservatively but oh well. A manual is quite a ways out I'm sure! That and the exhaust still has a drone to it between 2200 and 3000 RPM. It is right at the high end at 60 mph. I really would not want to do a long drive in it!

I am going to try the Steam_Mill fix and try to tune it a little. The 2.5" exhaust looks pretty plus the Flowmaster mufflers came with it but it is really a little too big for the V6 and needs a tune.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...x-really-works!

A couple of glamour shots. In the natural light I cannot see any real colour variation

Oh. Guess what. The rear oil pan leak persists Maybe not so bad but TBD. Maybe the pan is warped a smidge? Frustrating to say the least
    I know it's a lazy man fix but some light prep and a small bead of RTV might do the trick.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
    -Currently Searching for "The One"

As I expected, the car looks fantastic, Darran. Bummer you didn't make the car show. You'll just have to nab two trophies at the next show, right?
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

Ya don’t see any like this anymore! Love it!

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Blainer View Post
    I know it's a lazy man fix but some light prep and a small bead of RTV might do the trick.
    I'm going to monitor it Blaine. It does not look that bad so far.

Quote Originally Posted by IDMooseMan View Post
    As I expected, the car looks fantastic, Darran. Bummer you didn't make the car show. You'll just have to nab two trophies at the next show, right?
    Haha, right hey Craig! When are you going to get back to work on yours?

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Ya don’t see any like this anymore! Love it!
    This is true! When I had it appraised a few years ago, the appraiser could not find another 2.8 to compare it to

FEP Supporter

Since the car has been done, not a lot to report.

I still have complaints about the drone in the exhaust and the lack of restriction using the cheaply acquired 2.5" Flowmaster set up.

It does have a real European sound when in hard acceleration but the drone right around 3000 RPM and 60 MPH is ear drum rattling. Especially with the C3 and no OD it sounds like it needs to shift...

In another thread, there was discussion of the "Steam_mills drone fix" for this type of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by emerygt350 View Post
    I had a terrible 1800 rpm drone. Following steam_mills suggestion, I went and bought the metal lath today, cut 2 8x12 inch pieces out of it, wound them around a broomstick and slid them as seen in the picture.

The nearly intolerable drone from my not really mufflers is gone.

Attachment 120308
    I could not get quite the same, robust metal lath sheets where I went, but I got a product that was for a similar application. My understanding is this is intended to create a restriction to create a little back pressure which changes the flow and the sound to a degree.

I decided to experiment with a few. From what I thought was minimal to what I felt was enough to stuff in my tailpipe

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...jpubu.jpg.html

The first two seemed to have little to no effect on sounds. The third was slightly better and is still in the tail pipes. The collectors off the manifolds are each 1-5/8" and I think I theoretically could put a restriction in the system of the equivalent of 1-5/8" ID. I'd only be worried of wrapping too much mesh too dense and damaging the engine due to too much back pressure.

I don't really need to do any highway driving so it's not insufferable but maybe the best solution would be to replace the Flowmaster mufflers (they may be 40's?) with something a little better suited for this engine. I kind of like the chrome tips

No action shots but an exhaust idle clip at least.

(It seems I cannot imbed a youtube video any longer )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD3yj5eiydE
    Last edited by 82GTforME; 05-25-2019 at 12:36 PM.

FEP Supporter

I'd like to be able to get a few clips of the car driving and to hear the exhaust from different sides. One day Santa will bring me the GoPro I have been asking for!

Anyways, a couple of other shots. I really haven't driven the car that much. When I go out though I get a good 30-50+ km in

I will probably put the ten holes back on it soon for a change.

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...tffew.jpg.html
    http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...6qah5.jpg.html
    Last edited by 82GTforME; 05-25-2019 at 12:37 PM.

I have a sound meter if you want to do some testing.

I don’t know why, but I really like the wheels you have on it now. Over the ten holes for sure.

Neat fix for your drone issue, btw.

Since the car has been done, not a lot to report.

I still have complaints about the drone in the exhaust and the lack of restriction using the cheaply acquired 2.5" Flowmaster set up.

It does have a real European sound when in hard acceleration but the drone right around 3000 RPM and 60 MPH is ear drum rattling. Especially with the C3 and no OD it sounds like it needs to shift...

In another thread, there was discussion of the "Steam_mills drone fix" for this type of thing.

I could not get quite the same, robust metal lath sheets where I went, but I got a product that was for a similar application. My understanding is this is intended to create a restriction to create a little back pressure which changes the flow and the sound to a degree.

I decided to experiment with a few. From what I thought was minimal to what I felt was enough to stuff in my tailpipe

The first two seemed to have little to no effect on sounds. The third was slightly better and is still in the tail pipes. The collectors off the manifolds are each 1-5/8" and I think I theoretically could put a restriction in the system of the equivalent of 1-5/8" ID. I'd only be worried of wrapping too much mesh too dense and damaging the engine due to too much back pressure.

I don't really need to do any highway driving so it's not insufferable but maybe the best solution would be to replace the Flowmaster mufflers (they may be 40's?) with something a little better suited for this engine. I kind of like the chrome tips

No action shots but an exhaust idle clip at least.

(It seems I cannot imbed a youtube video any longer )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD3yj5eiydE
    I was experimenting with this fix too, not for drone as I haven't had that issue with my mufflers being mounted at the back. What I did want was to tame the harsh raspiness under throttle, but the results are negligible. I have a lot of the material left if you'd like a chunk to work with. I think my eventual fix will be to add in some resonators in the stock muffler location. My main issue will be to ensure I don't blow out the sound levels for track and AutoX and right now I think the rasp is peaking the noise levels too high.

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by FB71 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    I don’t know why, but I really like the wheels you have on it now. Over the ten holes for sure.
    For a change I threw the ten holes on. While the steel wheels are my preference too, the 15" wheels and wider tires change the look. Improved handling also to maybe push the car a little harder through it's paces

I have them so I may as well use them. It's pretty quick to change out whenever too

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...zmtva.jpg.html
    http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...hldqi.jpg.html

Last edited by 82GTforME; 05-25-2019 at 12:39 PM.

FEP Supporter

A couple of weekends ago I worked on the choke and the mixture settings.

I followed all of the steps and direction in the Ford book for the choke set up. This carb has the heat riser tube from the exhaust manifold rather than electric choke although the wire is there from the alternator.

Everything seemed pretty straight forward and when started, the fast idle cam set and kicked down properly. For some reason now, the fast idle does not kick in and the car needs a little help keeping idle on a "cold" summer start.

For the mixtures it was pretty basic with the vacuum gauge. Also re-checked and reset the curb idle after I had tweaked it inadvertently when I got the car going again.

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...hetkr.jpg.html
    http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...xgxbb.jpg.html

Engine is running really good other than the choke right now. Smooth idle and decent throttle response from the carb.

My first (small 79) tank of gas was over 21 MPG before the mixture tweaking. For some reason, I think the next tank is not as good but we will see.

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...xgxbb.jpg.html
    Last edited by 82GTforME; 05-25-2019 at 12:41 PM.

Dang it, I like the ten holes on you car too!

yup, they look just as good as the steelies!!
    Jim DeAngelis
    Cornucopia of Useless Knowledge
    Connoisseur of Dearborn Ferrous Oxide
    '83 GT hatch, currently under the knife
    '79 Capri 2.3L n/a, Medium Copper metallic, survivor
    (bought from MRausch82)

Here are the "glass packs" that I made for my 86 convertible:

They really quieted down my car (which had a Flowmaster 2.5" system). After these were installed into the tail pipes, the car sounded almost stock.
    Last edited by JTurbo; 08-06-2018 at 09:36 PM.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

That looks like it should work well.

The car looks great. These days 10 holes are a lot more common than your other wheels. I’d leave the 10 holes to the guys that don’t have the other ones personally.

I guess I just love what’s correct and what’s never or rarely ever seen.

I plan to put 17” 1994 tribar rims on my 1986GT done as 1993 Cobra R, but only because nobody makes a readily available 5 lug 10 hole wheel.

BTW, I think a custom wheel with 11 slightly oversized holes on a 17” rim would look absolutely outstanding.... LMR, are you still listening? You stole my tribars done as a cobra R as an aftermarket choice for a fox..... time for some pay back...

Page 51 of 55 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast