Close



Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253
Results 1,301 to 1,322 of 1322
  1. #1301
    FEP Supporter
    82GTforME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    4,683

    Default 2019 Out and about

    I did get the car out for some driving this year but only one show.

    I did get to go to the local Mustang Club's Presidential show and shine this year after backing out last year due to rain. Met up with Ed (BMWrider) and his wickedly cool 79 coupe. We got to park beside each other too.



    http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...upelw.jpg.html
    http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...ljndn.jpg.html

    The car drives great. Seems reliable and doesn't have any real operational issue other than a "cold" start seems to not want to happen by the book.

    Some random shots. I prefer driving on the 10 holes versus the steel wheels.


    http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...hzhnt.jpg.html

    A little drive into the mountains on a nice bugless day.




    http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...dgfif.jpg.html
    http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...uxkgr.jpg.html
    http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...4g5nj.jpg.html

    And a little fun. One wheel wonder

    Last edited by 82GTforME; 11-24-2019 at 11:24 AM.

  2. #1302
    FEP Super Member IDMooseMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Nampa ID 83686
    Posts
    4,923

    Default

    She's looking, and running, great.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

  3. #1303

    Default

    Just read this thread over the last 3 days. I'd seen bits and pieces of it over the years, but never the whole thing. What a journey of ups and downs. Mostly ups, but those downs will surely bite your ass when least expected. Props for persevering. Now reading the stories of the blue one and the 82. Good work!
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

  4. #1304
    FEP Supporter
    82GTforME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    4,683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IDMooseMan View Post
    She's looking, and running, great.
    Thanks Craig! Hope you are well and your back is doing better. Nice of you to check in once and a while!

    Quote Originally Posted by billkandi View Post
    Just read this thread over the last 3 days. I'd seen bits and pieces of it over the years, but never the whole thing. What a journey of ups and downs. Mostly ups, but those downs will surely bite your ass when least expected. Props for persevering. Now reading the stories of the blue one and the 82. Good work!
    Wow, that is a lot of material to go through! I find myself reminiscing and going through parts once in a while also. I cant believe the time has gone by so quickly.

    The work put in to get this car to where it is now was tremendous for being pretty much a one man show. For the second project, I feel confident that most things can be got through faster!

    The car is fun to drive and seems reliable. It catches a lot of eyes cruising around. For my son, he has not driven it himself since that fateful day. Right now, he cannot afford to insure it himself. He's lived on his own for a couple years now so has a tight budget for luxuries. I have the cheap costing Hagerty insurance on it but you need to have been a driver for 10 years to be covered under it.

    I hope his interests haven't changed too much. I thought of covering the insurance for him for the summer to allow us both to get some enjoyment together. It's nice having two cars road worthy at the same time

  5. #1305
    FEP Power Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Lexington, MA
    Posts
    2,492

    Default

    Can't wait to see the Tangerine posing with the Powder, or as I say 'Power' Pony!

  6. #1306
    FEP Supporter
    82GTforME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    4,683

    Default

    Double post.
    Last edited by 82GTforME; 05-08-2020 at 10:40 AM.

  7. #1307
    FEP Supporter
    82GTforME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    4,683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knebworth View Post
    Can't wait to see the Tangerine posing with the Powder, or as I say 'Power' Pony!
    Me too! This is the only picture I took of the two together when I moved the "Power" Pony into my garage in 2018.


    https://s1337.photobucket.com/user/8...csomx.jpg.html

  8. #1308
    New User
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    London Ontario Canada
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Hi. I haven't finished this thread so forgive me if I speak out of turn. I've been reading for about a week off and on and only half way done so... First off, WOW. You do amazing work and should be very proud. I have found my new favorite colour. I have been looking at different oranges to paint one of my cars and Tangerine is by far the best. My 74 Capri is orange from factory and I wanted to keep it that way. I haven't seen an early coupe for years and you have two! Congrats on all your hard work. I don't know if you have given up on a manual transmission yet but I have a couple of suggestions. If you find a Mustang II manual trans bellhousing you can swap in a T5. This is a popular swap into Sunbeam Alpines. Apparently a 2.6 or 2.8 V6 with a T5 performs like a Tiger. If you are interested I can give you a link. There is also the ford Type 9 from the XR4TI. You would have to obtain a bellhousing from England but this was the transmission used in the Capri Injection. Not as strong as a T5 but with your mods it would be ok. If you have decided to stay with an automatic, you can use the AOD from the Ranger. The 2.9 is the same bolt pattern as the 2.8. Apparently the 4.0 is also but i haven't tried it. Check out The Ranger Station for tips. You can get transmission controllers that work with Carburetor vehicles and allow for lock up converters. This opens up the A4LD as well. I hope this helps. Cheers

    Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

  9. #1309
    FEP Supporter
    82GTforME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    4,683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    Hi. I haven't finished this thread so forgive me if I speak out of turn. I've been reading for about a week off and on and only half way done so... First off, WOW. You do amazing work and should be very proud. I have found my new favorite colour. I have been looking at different oranges to paint one of my cars and Tangerine is by far the best. My 74 Capri is orange from factory and I wanted to keep it that way. I haven't seen an early coupe for years and you have two! Congrats on all your hard work. I don't know if you have given up on a manual transmission yet but I have a couple of suggestions. If you find a Mustang II manual trans bellhousing you can swap in a T5. This is a popular swap into Sunbeam Alpines. Apparently a 2.6 or 2.8 V6 with a T5 performs like a Tiger. If you are interested I can give you a link. There is also the ford Type 9 from the XR4TI. You would have to obtain a bellhousing from England but this was the transmission used in the Capri Injection. Not as strong as a T5 but with your mods it would be ok. If you have decided to stay with an automatic, you can use the AOD from the Ranger. The 2.9 is the same bolt pattern as the 2.8. Apparently the 4.0 is also but i haven't tried it. Check out The Ranger Station for tips. You can get transmission controllers that work with Carburetor vehicles and allow for lock up converters. This opens up the A4LD as well. I hope this helps. Cheers
    Hi Malcolm, thanks for the interest. I agree with you on the color of orange that this has. It is a nice shade compared to other oranges out there. Looking at the original pictures of the car to now, I cannot put my finger on it but the base/clear looks slightly different than the original. Mind you the angle of the light definitely affects the look also.

    For the transmission swap, I have not given up converting it to a manual but being more of a "stock" guy has me not wanting to customize or bring a bunch of unique parts together to make it work. The options you bring up sound like they would work but there may be certain unique differences once done (shifter hole location for example). For now I am content as is. If I change, my intent is to find the correct 79 donor parts and do the factory type swap. I did find a candidate but am procrastinating due to distance and not needing another whole car at this time.

    Enjoy the read, there is a lot to go through!

  10. #1310
    FEP Supporter
    82GTforME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    4,683

    Default 2020

    Last weekend I go the car going. Pretty straightforward and consistent in the post winter start up.

    Sexy looking with just the thin cloth cover on it. It's an old king size comforter cover opened up and works great to keep the dust off.



    https://s1337.photobucket.com/user/8...hxx3k.jpg.html
    https://s1337.photobucket.com/user/8...4fuag.jpg.html

    I am lucky enough to have cheap rent on half an unheated garage down my back alley to keep one car in so a quick trip back home to go over the basic checks and once over.



    https://s1337.photobucket.com/user/8...yqbom.jpg.html
    https://s1337.photobucket.com/user/8...pg5ma.jpg.html

    As previously noted, I still have a small lingering leak from the oil pan near the front seal. After fixing this last time, the drip moved from the back to the front

    After pulling the car out, I see a number of spots I thought I had seen an indication last fall but looking closer and it is mostly ATF from the power steering system. It isn't the hoses so it must be the Cardone rack. I could not find the origin on first pass but it is spreading through the K member and why you see a number of drip point.

    It is not a huge leak and looks worse than it is. No time to change or fix it right now so I will continue to just monitor it and wipe up as needed. I will get to the bottom of it one of these days.


    https://s1337.photobucket.com/user/8...2wzrx.jpg.html

  11. #1311
    FEP Supporter
    82GTforME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    4,683

    Default First drive out

    As I've said, the car runs like a champ. I took it out for a couple of drives last weekend before putting it back. I left minimal fuel in it over the winter and filled it up.

    Fuel mileage calculated out at around 23 miles/gallon. The small tank is okay in the city but you'd have to stop every few hours if you did a long road trip!

    I found a cool back drop with well done graffiti for some pictures. The sun wasn't in the right spot for the best angles. I may have to go back in the morning one day. I rained hard all week but the next week is looking much better!


    https://s1337.photobucket.com/user/8...23v5a.jpg.html

  12. #1312
    FEP Supporter
    82GTforME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    4,683

    Cool Summer 2020

    With our typically short driving season I managed to get the car out a number of times so far and added some miles along the way.

    I thought I would post up some of the summer fun so far! The car runs great. Mileage has been averaging 20-23 MPG with the small 79 tank.

    City view:



    https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_6163.JPG
    https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_6062.JPG

    Shadow coupe.


    https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_6080.JPG

    The only real tunnel in town. It's a heat score most evenings Didn't even get out of 2nd gear

    Last edited by 82GTforME; 09-06-2020 at 06:56 PM.

  13. #1313
    FEP Supporter
    82GTforME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    4,683

    Cool Summer 2020

    I got more adventurous and got out of the city on a couple runs into the foothills of the Rockies. Nothing far but a good hour to an hour and a half round trip.





    https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_6131.JPG
    https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_6124.JPG
    https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_6122.JPG
    https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_6123.JPG

    Jackson got out with me on another day and got a little seat time in.



    https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_6207.JPG
    https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_6205.JPG

    The bugs haven't been that bad this year but I keep her cleaned up good for the next cruise!


    https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_6211.JPG

  14. #1314
    FEP Supporter
    82GTforME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    4,683

    Cool Summer 2020

    August has been pretty dry and decently warm. Come September, that can end abruptly here.

    On Friday evening it was still really nice so I took advantage. The days are getting short and the sun is going down sooner


    https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_6296.JPG

    Yesterday was still hot so I went out in the morning and then came home to detail one last time and parked the car. The weather is not driving weather for the next week or so now. Hopefully I might get another chance to get out in the fall.



    https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_6298.JPG
    https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_6305.JPG

    The fun i get driving this car is not without small injuries and damage along the way. This one is in an obvious place. I have a list of five or six tiny ones I will need to repair on the lower front, lower rocker and one fender lip I noticed too.


    https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...E/IMG_5746.JPG

  15. #1315
    FEP Power Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Lexington, MA
    Posts
    2,492

    Default

    Great to see that Tangerine Dream getting some much-needed exercise, looks like you had perfect weather for it

  16. #1316

    Default

    Awesome! Thanks for sharing! Some of us aren't quite there with our projects and it's nice to see what the end looks like.
    I push my fingers into my eyes......

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Looking to buy 82 T-Top Mustang GT, and 79 - 82 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black, Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.

  17. #1317
    FEP Senior Member 87gtVIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Whitestone, NY
    Posts
    964

    Default

    Looking fantastic.

    I have been toying with the idea of adding a windshield banner on my car. Directions say to install inside windshield...catch is my windshield has the dark black sun thing on the windshield already and it would never be seen.

    I noticed you mentioned your car did not have the black sun thing on top of the windshield. Did you install the banner on the interior or the exterior? Pics appear to show it installed from the inside but I would like to know for certain. And if installed on the outside I would like an idea of how it is handling the outside abuse. I understand the car does not stay outside ever... Just wondering.

  18. #1318
    FEP Super Member gr79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    4,365

    Default

    Great pics of a fine car. Scenery and backgrounds carfully selected.
    2300 and 90 kph. 55 mph is sort of hard to hold to then and now.
    That CA speedo is sure different with the yellow band. The transition into 'now we are moving' speeds.
    US for some reason stopped numbering at 85.
    8K tachs have sharp looking color banding marks. One of the first noticeable yah items when i first test drove mine.

  19. #1319
    FEP Supporter
    82GTforME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    4,683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knebworth View Post
    Great to see that Tangerine Dream getting some much-needed exercise, looks like you had perfect weather for it
    Quote Originally Posted by 79Coupe View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing! Some of us aren't quite there with our projects and it's nice to see what the end looks like.
    Thanks for the kind words! The weather was a bit rainy over late June and into July but late July and most of August was hotter and dry! While I wished I could get out more, my wife's patience would be stretched and I do not want to put too many kilometers on the son's car. One day it will be his but it will be fully broken in by then.

    Having a "finished" project is really nice and convenient to just grab the keys and go. That leaky front oil pan near the front seal and the handful of little paint chips are now on the list of things to do. Thankfully the list is not that big!

  20. #1320

    Default

    Drive that puppy!
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

  21. #1321
    FEP Supporter
    82GTforME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    4,683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Looking fantastic.

    I have been toying with the idea of adding a windshield banner on my car. Directions say to install inside windshield...catch is my windshield has the dark black sun thing on the windshield already and it would never be seen.

    I noticed you mentioned your car did not have the black sun thing on top of the windshield. Did you install the banner on the interior or the exterior? Pics appear to show it installed from the inside but I would like to know for certain. And if installed on the outside I would like an idea of how it is handling the outside abuse. I understand the car does not stay outside ever... Just wondering.
    Hi David, the banner on this car is the one on the inside and you are correct that the original windshield is clear and not tinted and has no tinted band at the top. This banner is actually a nice addition for when the sun is in your face. This stuck on and then used a hair dryer to shrink/stick the corners.

    For yours, I agree an inside install may hide or obscure any color or detail on it. I would maybe go to a custom vinyl decal/wrap place. I am sure they would make something like a banner that goes over the top on the outside that would last not too bad. Using ours for example, they could do the Ford and Motorsport decals, stick those on and the glass tinted band would still be of use.

    Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Great pics of a fine car. Scenery and backgrounds carfully selected.
    2300 and 90 kph. 55 mph is sort of hard to hold to then and now.
    That CA speedo is sure different with the yellow band. The transition into 'now we are moving' speeds.
    US for some reason stopped numbering at 85.
    8K tachs have sharp looking color banding marks. One of the first noticeable yah items when i first test drove mine.
    Thanks GR. Good observation on the RPM and speed. This also is the C3 so no OD. That is the factory speedo but the lucky find 8k tach was supposed to have come from an Canadian 82 GT that apparently had a 3.3L or other non-V8 engine. This 8k tack had the selector switch on it The bright orange "red line" is a bit faded but the rest is in good shape.

    Here is another from the past:


    https://hosting.photobucket.com/albu...psjmgjzlf3.jpg

  22. #1322
    FEP Super Member IDMooseMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Nampa ID 83686
    Posts
    4,923

    Default

    Awesome-looking vehicles and scenery.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •