Close

Page 39 of 55 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
    FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by 79mustangcobra View Post
    Looks great! Love the attention to detail
    Thanks so much David!

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    You have to swing by the former owner's house when you get it on the road, he would be shocked.
    They did not live far from us and he had said he thought they had the original invoice at the time. I never heard back and never pursued it back then. Ironically I was digging out the bill of sale etc. out so we can look into inspecting, insuring and registering and I noted the contact name and information to try them in the future

FEP Supporter

Default One large step for mankind.

So, not a lot to do. Everything checked out. With front end Friday over with, the weather was nice enough Saturday to start the weekend off right (it just happened to happen on my birthday too).

First time moving under it's own power since the fall of 2013.

Don't ask me why I cut it off so short Jackson was pretty exited. It has an interesting sound to it. Might be all that porting I did to increase that flow. (Or it could be the barely snug exhaust connections at the manifold and leaky Y pipe )

Here are some other shots before it went right back in for a little bit longer. Note the only thing really missing is the marker lights and the pin striping now

Those lowering springs I put in were just the ticket by the looks of it! For those of you not on the pro-splash guard side, just ignore them if you can

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...dnrnv.jpg.html
    http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...mb5yx.jpg.html
    http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...b5f4s.jpg.html
    http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...hcdfy.jpg.html

Good from far

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...0ch6f.jpg.html

So tempting to go for a rip around the block but there is still gravel, sand and some wet roads around

Back inside until the time comes again. Soon grasshopper...I think I am going to clean up and put on the ten holes to the whole look with them.

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...rtcwe.jpg.html
    Last edited by 82GTforME; 01-06-2019 at 09:06 PM.

It is so gorgeous...

The video was too short...My heart almost stopped because it stopped so soon. You must be so proud of all the work you've done.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Sounds like a V8!
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Excellent Darran! This car is great! I am one with the group in the fact that you MUST make a longer video, because that was a cruel teaser!
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

You can hear those solid lifters! I wouldn't have thought those wheels would look as good on it as they do, but they're perfect for it and a huge improvement over the originals.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

I'm a hatchback guy but I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Beautiful!
    Brian

1982 Capri 5.0L
    1965 Fastback project car - more rusty than not

RoTM candidate in the near future.... Congrats on it's maiden voyage, even if only out and back into the garage

And I have to agree that those styled steel wheels look perfect on your coupe.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    It is so gorgeous...

The video was too short...My heart almost stopped because it stopped so soon. You must be so proud of all the work you've done.
    Bryan, thank you. I honestly never thought I would undertake something like this...EVER! Plus actually pull it off without screwing it up completely, in my garage, is truly astounding. Good thing I never did the full undercarriage (yet) as it would be too nice to drive!

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    Excellent Darran! This car is great! I am one with the group in the fact that you MUST make a longer video, because that was a cruel teaser!
    Brock, thanks! A labor of love really. I'll work on the video thing

I'm a hatchback guy but I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Travis, there are many, many beautiful cars on this site that could take that honor. This is just so oddly unique, that it is cool!

Whether this car lasts though another generation or it doesn't, Jackson will always have the memories from this time in his life and cherish it.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgener View Post
    Beautiful!
    Thanks. I wanted to get it out fully in the sun soon to look at it fully but it's been dry and there is still a lot of dust in the air. Supposed to be nice again on the weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    RoTM candidate in the near future.... Congrats on it's maiden voyage, even if only out and back into the garage

And I have to agree that those styled steel wheels look perfect on your coupe.
    Thanks Joe. That means a lot. A goal of mine for the future is to learn to do more (and a little better) bodywork and rust repair like yourself with the '82.

The wheels turned out really nice. Like I had stated in a previous post, the colour of the powder coating didn't turn out as "steel" or "metal" looking than I expected, they compliment the pin stripe in the moulding nicely.

Those new 16" TRX wheels may be a temptation in the future also. The boys could swap when they wanted between their '79's.

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post
    Sounds like a V8!
    It sure makes a lopey sound when under load like that! I hope the dual exhaust plan works out for performance and sound for it.

You can hear those solid lifters! I wouldn't have thought those wheels would look as good on it as they do, but they're perfect for it and a huge improvement over the originals.
    I do not have a keen ear for the sound you describe Travis. Glad you can identify the difference. I can't wait to open it up on the road rather than just sitting still.

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Note the only thing really missing is the marker lights and the pin striping now
    I had some spare marker lights along with the originals and picked out the best two; even though one had the tang broken off the top. I had eyed up the marker light install previously but had not installed them.

I remembered that I kind of had difficulty removing them...when I had looked, I thought to myself "these will never go in and if they do I am screwing up some paint in some way".

I tried the one with the tang on the D side first. I was being gentle trying to turn, twist, slide, push this this in. That and trying to get the top tang slid in to the slot. After a bit I gave up wondering how the heck it would go in

I came back after a while and tried on the other side. Without the tab on the top was getting me quite a bit closer. You have to put a bit of pressure on the opening (IE: spreading open) in order to get it even started. My fear was cracking, chipping or scraping the paint getting it in.

Like I said, I was getting close but I needed a thin wedge to guide and slide it in to position. I reluctantly wrapped a 7" long thin pry I have in masking tape and kept the pry flat on the opening so as not to pont load and chip and lo and behold, I had success with minimal to no damage. The light without the retaining tab at the top does move slightly inward if pushed directly but I am not concerned at all.

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...ifnf0.jpg.html

The other side ...even using the same technique I could not wiggle it into place and get the tang in the retaining slot at the same time no-how! I made the decision to break a majority part of the tang off the light housing and give it a try. I was successful at getting the housing in. The tab is in the slot also

As I had said, there was a bit of effort required to get these in and there was small amount of damage on this side. It looks like just the clear cracked. It is not the end of the world but I am going to spot repair it somehow. Even dab a little clear over the crack right in the corner to try and re-bond it to prevent it from lifting. Dunno yet.

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...gohid.jpg.html

Luckily after that ordeal, the lights are both working! I PRAY that they NEVER burn out! EVER!

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...if7st.jpg.html
    Last edited by 82GTforME; 01-06-2019 at 09:09 PM.

This is looking amazing! Seeing all these pics make me miss my own " 79 Tangerine Machine". Without the hood scoop, and with the standard hubcaps, it was the spitting image of the one you have. Your son is one lucky guy!
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

Darran, this project is AMAZING! It sounds like you need to make a longer video, too. I'm pretty sure it's a requirement, right gang?

You've done a fantastic job fixing up this car. Congratulations.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

It turned out very nice. I like the wheels!
    Matt
    1984 Thunderbird -- 1989 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake, Edelbrock 600 4bbl, 85 Mustang dizzy, Jegs o/r h pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Mustang AOD & shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Mustang front & rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 TC struts & shocks, and Mustang 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT hatch -- Explorer intake, GT40 heads with Trick Flow spring kit, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, 70mm MAF, 70mm throttle body, o/r H pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 Deluxe handle, clutch quadrant & firewall adjuster, and 3.27s
    (86 Mercury Cougar 5.0, 89 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 80 Mercury Zephyr 4 door) sold

Looking really good!
    1985 Mercury Marquis LTS... "The Unicorn"
    1978 Fairmont... 306 and a C4.

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by conmech View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0 bird View Post
    It turned out very nice. I like the wheels!
    Quote Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
    Looking really good!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt1986gt View Post
    This is looking amazing! Seeing all these pics make me miss my own " 79 Tangerine Machine". Without the hood scoop, and with the standard hubcaps, it was the spitting image of the one you have. Your son is one lucky guy!
    Thanks for the compliments! We can't be anything but happy with the way it is turning out!

Awesome job! That's one sweet little coupe!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

FEP Supporter

Default Longer video

Back inside until the time comes again. Soon grasshopper...I think I am going to clean up and put on the ten holes to the whole look with them.
    So I gave the ten hole wheels a good cleaning. They are in beautiful shape! I lucked out getting such nice E7 wheels with rubber for the price I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    The video was too short...
    Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    I am one with the group in the fact that you MUST make a longer video, because that was a cruel teaser!
    Quote Originally Posted by IDMooseMan View Post
    It sounds like you need to make a longer video, too. I'm pretty sure it's a requirement, right gang?
    Last weekend, Jackson had thought the brake pedal was a little soft when we had backed it out. With the wheel cleaning done, and the Option K's needing to come off to quickly do a re-bleed on the brakes, we put the ten holes back on.

Impatience and spring fever is here and we pulled it out again. So I took another [LONGER] video to share with you

FEP Supporter

So tempting to go for a rip around the block but there is still gravel, sand and some wet roads around
    So, the car still needs a mechanical inspection before I can get it insured. Once I have insurance it could be registered.

Did that stop me from going around the block yesterday because the water has mostly disappeared? Nope! It went well

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...u6skj.jpg.html
    http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...iwsmi.jpg.html
    http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...ldppf.jpg.html
    http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...r85xu.jpg.html
    Last edited by 82GTforME; 01-06-2019 at 09:12 PM.

Still sounds like a V8, although when you walked outside and around the car, I could kind of tell it's a V6. Nice job!

What are you going to do for pinstripe on the bumper covers? I hate when people use a tape pinstripe on the moldings.

IMO, the only way to do the bumper molding pinstripe right, is to paint it on. Very very few people can do it by hand with a brush. I would end up masking it all off, and using spray paint.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post
    Still sounds like a V8, although when you walked outside and around the car, I could kind of tell it's a V6. Nice job!

What are you going to do for pinstripe on the bumper covers? I hate when people use a tape pinstripe on the moldings.

IMO, the only way to do the bumper molding pinstripe right, is to paint it on. Very very few people can do it by hand with a brush. I would end up masking it all off, and using spray paint.
    I think when Jackson put the car into neutral and the revs came up is the difference in the sounds. When in gear with the lower idle it sure sounds like a V8.

For the pin striping, I have a guy lined up that I made contact with a month or so ago. The problem is that when I called him last weeks saying I'm ready, he cannot do it for another month!

He does do the painted stripes by hand (and these should be pretty basic for him). Hand painted is what I always wanted. Hindsight would have me do the body stripes before the clearcoat, but I was not organized enough to be ready at the time.

It sounds like he works a regular job and does the striping on evenings and weekends but the reason I chose this guy was that he would do house calls. I just have to be patient!

http://suckerpunchstriping.wix.com/art

What an epic rebuild!!
    I dont know what your son's preference is, but I am loving the steel wheels over the 10 holes on that car.
    Awesome!
    Dan

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ng-GT-restomod

1986 Mustang GT Cobra
    Lotsa stuff, lotsa work. Check my thread above.

Daily drivers
    2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke crew 4X4
    2012 F-150 Ecoboost Screw FX4

Page 39 of 55 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast