Close

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Regular Racers, Ultra-competitive or Just for Fun, What's Your Group/Series?

Interested in seeing how many here go beyond test and tune and participate in any sort of regular competition, whether it's the local autocross group, road races, national or regional drag competitions, etc. NMRA, SCCA, American Iron, whatever. Tell us about your car/team, what you do and how often. Thanks!

I've been running in the Beaver Springs Dragway Friday night street racing series the last five years. I run in the street/stick class which is for street legal stick shift cars. The rules for street legal are pretty lax, all that's required is that the car be licensed, inspected and through the mufflers. A lot of the cars are more race cars than street cars, but like mine are still street driven although they are not daily drivers.

This is me and my car:

My entire team consists of me and my crew chief/wife. She goes racing with me every week and has learned enough about the sport to point out things to me that I might miss sometimes. We race most Friday nights from April through October usually running about 20 races per year. It's a 200 mile round trip for us to race, but we've gotten used to the trip.

Our racing is all for fun as there are no cash prizes. I'm glad as I think as soon as money is involved it can bring out people who are racing mainly for the cash and that takes the fun away. We do win trophies, free passes to future races, sweat shirts, tee shirts, hats, and the most coveted prize of all the free pizza from a local shop which is IMO really good pizza. The group of guys in my class who run just about every week all understand that we are there to have fun, and you couldn't find a better group to race with. Everybody's competitive but we all keep it in perspective. The loser always goes over to congratulate the winner after each race and any razzing that takes place when you do something stupid is good natured. I've seen guys lend somebody they will be racing a part and then lose to that person with no hard feelings.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    I've been running in the Beaver Springs Dragway Friday night street racing series the last five years. I run in the street/stick class which is for street legal stick shift cars. The rules for street legal are pretty lax, all that's required is that the car be licensed, inspected and through the mufflers. A lot of the cars are more race cars than street cars, but like mine are still street driven although they are not daily drivers.

This is me and my car:

My entire team consists of me and my crew chief/wife. She goes racing with me every week and has learned enough about the sport to point out things to me that I might miss sometimes. We race most Friday nights from April through October usually running about 20 races per year. It's a 200 mile round trip for us to race, but we've gotten used to the trip.

Our racing is all for fun as there are no cash prizes. I'm glad as I think as soon as money is involved it can bring out people who are racing mainly for the cash and that takes the fun away. We do win trophies, free passes to future races, sweat shirts, tee shirts, hats, and the most coveted prize of all the free pizza from a local shop which is IMO really good pizza. The group of guys in my class who run just about every week all understand that we are there to have fun, and you couldn't find a better group to race with. Everybody's competitive but we all keep it in perspective. The loser always goes over to congratulate the winner after each race and any razzing that takes place when you do something stupid is good natured. I've seen guys lend somebody they will be racing a part and then lose to that person with no hard feelings.
    This is a great picture!

It sums up the soul of a grassroots racer!

FEP Super Member

I was and will be racing again. Raced with NASA in the Camaro mustang challenge series. When I wasn't racing or didn't have the money I ran tech and am a course official.
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

Blog Entries

Just for fun. Once my car is set up a little better, I will be a little more competitive about it, but funding will keep that in the future.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Attachment 65689
    Quote Originally Posted by brianj View Post
    Just for fun. Once my car is set up a little better, I will be a little more competitive about it, but funding will keep that in the future.

You've really progressed!!

Awesome.
    86 GT Conv. Stock White "Shamu" - Sold 2014 @ 134k
    84 5.0 LX Conv. Canyon Red - Sold to collector 2010
    82 GT Coupe Black - Full body Stk Race Car - Sold 2003
    87 GT Conv. Wife's Stock Poppy Red - Sold 2002

Well I got mine done to late in the season for any series racing. But next year I plan to back it down some and race the 6.50 index in the extreme outlaw series. My crew is mostly family...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    79' Pacecar 5.0 .76mm Turbo powerglide
    9.70 @ 139

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by twistedwankel View Post
    Attachment 65689

You've really progressed!!

Awesome.
    Yep- this is why I need subframe connectors ASAP.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

My 85 coupe will primarily run IHRA Crate Motor Stock with a 95 GT40P Ford Racing crate motor paired with a face-plated Doug Nash 5 speed. We will be able to run NHRA Stock Eliminator by changing the heads, intake, and carb. My dad's 85GT has been competing in NHRA/IHRA Super Stock (SS/L) since we originally built it in 1985. It has a super stock legal 85 H.O. 302 with a face-plated Doug Nash 5 Speed.

The last few years, we have been racing NMRA Ture Street any time I can get to it. We usually try to sneak in a race with NMCA as well, but it's usually a filler for me.

We also try to hit races with the UMTR when they are close. (Al lstick shift).

Of couse hit the local bracket races in between to keep sharp

Without a doubt, I would give up any other racing to make the NMRA races. We have a blast with them.
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo - Only a 4 banger - 1/8th 6.29@110, 1/4 9.87@137

I try to race all the Cecil SCSO races. I also run a few summit points races (local brackets)...and some other stuff in between.
    1984 GT T-top
    363, Naturally Aspirated, glide

FEP Power Member horsepowerjunkie's Avatar

Me and my 2 stepson's drag race at our local 1/8 mile IHRA track. It's strictly a bracket race track. We only have about 7 weekends a year so we try and make it whenever we can. I've actually got a 73 Dart Sport 340 bracket car, that I've been working on for the past couple year, so I run my street 82 Capri RS, its got a mildish 306 backed by a T5. My oldest stepson has a 90 LX Hatchback with a stock short block 5.0 backed with a C4, & my other stepson has a 87 Notch that has had a 427w in it for the past 7 summers, but recently sold it and now has a pump gas 347 backed by a C4. We very much enjoy it and it's good family fun!!
    11 GT Black, A6,Steeda CAI, SCT X4, Circle D 4C
    89LX Blk Hatch,363 Dart,C4,T76BB,FAST EFI
    86 Black GT, 331 Dart, S-trim aftercooled, 4R70W
    82 Carpi RS, 306, T5, 8.8 4.10's.
    72 Demon 340 4-speed(one of 1667)
    73 Dart Sport 340, 410ci, Indy 230cnc+, bracket brawler
    01 Ram Quad Cab, 5.9L car hauler
    02 Grizzley 660
    03 Honda VTX 1800

Back when I used to race it was only road racing and just for fun. If it was at the Talladega Gran Prix track they were SVO and / or Georgia Regional MCA club events. Everybody was friends or at least knew each other. It was usually a full weekend event with camping and cookouts at the track. Sometimes trophies were given out but that depended on the club's budget for the event. It was also understood if somebody wasn't running in a given group that everybody did track duty / corner crew support.

When I went to Road Atlanta I always went by myself and sometimes met other friends in the pits. They were Track Days Events and were always for just the one day. I ran in B Modified which is street cars with any amount of mods. As long as it was street legal and you passed tech you were able to run anything you wanted. I'll be putting together another car soon. It'll be either from my 88 coupe or the 90 LX hatch. I need to get up under the 90 LX to check out the rear suspension and mounting points. It's been off the road and the track for about ten years so it needs work. I never ran a panhard bar so it might be worn out. I have plenty of engine / drivetrain options and parts between the two cars. Since I'm not going to run except for fun I'm not limited by any class requirements. As long as it meets safety it should be fine.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

Shamu is 27 and I'm 67. I used to autocross decent stock and prepared cars at national level from age 46-57. Started again at 62 and can still win in an old original driveline convertible AOD car.

I still win at local autocrosses and occasionally go out of town to beat someone up. The purchase of Hankook RS3 225/45/15 tires on stock rims put us into the serious competition with the better ratio. I got a set of 17x8 rims and some Hankook 245/40/17 tires to put us both in contention for the season points this year.

I'm hooked again and just ordered some adjustable koni shocks, installed strut tower brace and Kmember brace to get this foxbody closer to an 07 Shelby Mustang on 285/30/18 gummies and maybe beat him soon when I get a new set of 255 gummie tires.

Foxes rule. This pix isn't me but it could be!!
    Last edited by twistedwankel; 12-03-2013 at 08:00 PM.
    86 GT Conv. Stock White "Shamu" - Sold 2014 @ 134k
    84 5.0 LX Conv. Canyon Red - Sold to collector 2010
    82 GT Coupe Black - Full body Stk Race Car - Sold 2003
    87 GT Conv. Wife's Stock Poppy Red - Sold 2002

New User

"Make noise, go fast, have fun" was an unofficial Calgary, Friday Night, Heads Up motto. The cities minions closed Race City after the 2011 season. I miss it a lot. But I'm definitely grass roots and enjoy simple heads up racing for fun.