Close

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: My Daddywagon

I've had my gas tank out many..... many..... many times. Are you sure it isn't just that the straps are a bit distorted and you just need to wrestle them back in place? That always happens to me, since they tend to get in the way of what I'm doing once the tank is out so i'm shoving them all over the place while that's going on and they get bent. But once i get them on the studs and start tightening the nuts they fall right in line.

Don't listen to me though. I stripped out BOTH nuts last time I put mine back in.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

In my case I had just bought a new tank and straps. Everything looked identical to the old stuff, but the straps just would not go that extra two inches to fit over the stud.
    -John-

79 Mercury Capri RS: 5.0L 5 speed swap
    83 Mustang GT: 5.0L 5 Speed
    83 Mustang GT T-Top: 5.0L 5 Speed
    84 Mustang L: 2.3L 4 Speed
    85 LTD Wagon: 358W 5 speed swap
    87 Mustang LX: 5.0L 5 speed swap

Nice! That looks familiar! Thanks!

Both up in the air. Figuratively, and literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Ford'sCapri View Post
    In my case I had just bought a new tank and straps. Everything looked identical to the old stuff, but the straps just would not go that extra two inches to fit over the stud.
    I spent well over an hour, maybe 2 getting the fuel tank and straps back up today. What a PITA! But the tank is up with a 255lph pump in it. I cut up the original filter and secondary pump bracket and used it as a filter mount near the tank. My fuel lines are lengthened using flare unions. I am not thrilled with the fit up of the lines but they are on there. They run along the driveshaft tunnel but not flush with body. To clarify I am making a push to get a running and driving car heading into the fall. I had to install some equal length headers because the stock header studs to mount h pipe were rusted and had no threads. I teed off the factory rear brake line to each caliper hose in the rear. The biggest obstacle coming up is wiring. I have a lot of splicing and soldering ahead of me.

You got this! I actually like wiring.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    You got this! I actually like wiring.
    Thanks for the positivie vibes Brad!

Wiring is driving me nuts! The evtm for 1985 ford ltd/marquis has proven to be absolutely necessary despite being hard to follow. The difficulty in doing the conversion is moving ignition and power supply from one side of the engine compartment to the other, removing all emissions except for egr, and cutting out all of the 3.8 wiring and computer. I want everything to work. I want cruise control and air conditioning to work. If I stuck to my original plan to use a stock mustang harness I'm not sure I could do it. But when you use the ford swap harness it tells you specifically which wires to look for. I highly recommend both for anyone attempting this swap.

Hummmm.....you know of my ideas and engine swap wants. I wonder if there's a wonder harness for me too?

If it's a 5.0 or 5.8 windsor swap you're after, m-12071-a50 is the way to go.

Well I got home yesterday after buying another 14g fusible link for computer power wire even though I still need to finish a few other things I decided to put a battery in there since the wiring is just about complete with the exception of a/c wires. It turns out I have no juice to my fuel pump. I eliminated the front pump but I looked t the schematic and it looks like that shouldn't make a difference. My hope is that I bumped into it with my truck or something to pop the inertia switch or the relay is bad. I would hate to drop the tank again. Aaargh!

Man, hope you don't have to do that. At least you probably don't have any gas in it, i'm guessing.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I thought I was set back there so I put about 6 gallons in it. So I am screwed if it has to come down again. Hopefully not.

I started the Daddywagon today. It dies right away unless I keep pressing the accelerator pedal. I stabbed the distributor at the stock 10 degrees btdc.

Meh, my car's always like that. Kidding, but it doesn't run very well, haha.

Congrats, though! That's a milestone!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Thanks Brad! I honestly find it hard to believe that your car runs bad at all. With as much detail as you put in to that car, I'm pretty sure it runs like a top! You are right though, huge milestone for me. I'm gonna swap out the iac with another one just to see what it does. The 1993 lx i picked up has 184,000 miles and I could drive it to work 32 miles away tomorrow. I'm hoping to get that same driveability in the Daddywagon.

It turns out if you mount an irs exhaust to a foxbody h-pipe the mufflers end up where they should be but the tailpipe bends for under the axle are 3-4 inches too far forward. I might just cut 'em and dump 'em!

The mufflers are where they should be, huh? That's weird. I had to extend my Mustang exhaust before the mufflers and then again after the axle.

Haha well, that's what I spend all my time on, the detail (fun) stuff. I don't know crap about driveability.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    The mufflers are where they should be, huh? That's weird. I had to extend my Mustang exhaust before the mufflers and then again after the axle.

Haha well, that's what I spend all my time on, the detail (fun) stuff. I don't know crap about driveability.
    It turns out you are right Brad. The mufflers do need to be moved back. The IRS has the exhaust hangers built right into the subframe. So when I hung the exhaust from those hangers it became clear that the tubes in front of the mufflers have to be lengthened around 3 inches. The tailpipes snake nicely and tuck up nice and high, but they end up about a foot short. And if I add the additional foot I have to cut the rear bumper for exhaust exits. I bought simple exhaust extensions from advance that I am gonna cut to fit and try to weld in place.

Quote Originally Posted by nelzfoxes View Post
    It turns out you are right Brad. The mufflers do need to be moved back. The IRS has the exhaust hangers built right into the subframe. So when I hung the exhaust from those hangers it became clear that the tubes in front of the mufflers have to be lengthened around 3 inches. The tailpipes snake nicely and tuck up nice and high, but they end up about a foot short. And if I add the additional foot I have to cut the rear bumper for exhaust exits. I bought simple exhaust extensions from advance that I am gonna cut to fit and try to weld in place.
    Ah, okay. Maybe you could do turndowns right before the bumper. Also, watch that 90 degree bend right before the fuel tank. Right now my exhaust is contacting it on that side, and I really want to change that. I'm planning on getting a multipiece h-pipe that will allow more flexability to move stuff around to where i want it. LMR sells it, I think it's SVE.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I cut the flow tubes off of the mufflers. I bought extensions from advance. The extensions were about a foot and a half long. I welded them to the flow tubes I had cut off and trimmed them to the length I needed. Instead of welding them back onto the mufflers I decided to go with stepped band clamps. They should be arriving tomorrow. Once the exhaust is buttoned up I plan on running this car constantly to work out any leaks or miscellaneous tuning. Not necessarily driving it, but starting it, idling, going through midrange rpms, just to make sure everything is running smooth before I hit the streets.

Cool. Wish I'd known about band clamps when we did my exhaust. The extensions are all butt-welded on.

But you're really close now!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I can't wait to get home from work! Haha!

Well I messed with it after work yesterday and after work today again. I am close to putting the tires on the ground. The goal is a couple times around the block this weekend to see how it drives, if at all. I tinkered with timing a bit and the idle is smoother and a little higher. I've been revving it up each time I've had it running and nothing has blown up or sounds bad.

Haha, not blown up, that's a good start!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast