Close

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: My Daddywagon

I have come to the realization that I like the idea of customizing something and I have for a long time. Now that I started this project, I have other projects in my head and some lean more on the ability to fabricate. I see a lot of projects in here where you need to be able to fabricate more than just bolt on. The Daddywagon is primarily bolt on. I am on a little bit of a tangent because I want to fabricate more. It is in that vain that I have decided to buy a tig welder. At work we have flux core mig and a buzz box. Tig seems to be the most versatile although it requires more practice. Just thought I would share.

Mike1157

Quote Originally Posted by nelzfoxes View Post
    I have come to the realization that I like the idea of customizing something and I have for a long time. Now that I started this project, I have other projects in my head and some lean more on the ability to fabricate. I see a lot of projects in here where you need to be able to fabricate more than just bolt on. The Daddywagon is primarily bolt on. I am on a little bit of a tangent because I want to fabricate more. It is in that vain that I have decided to buy a tig welder. At work we have flux core mig and a buzz box. Tig seems to be the most versatile although it requires more practice. Just thought I would share.
    Then if you are going to buy a TIG welder,(and since you were talking about fabricating stuff) let me recommend an offshore company.. LOTOs. I just bought my 175 a mig from that company, and you wont find a better deal than buying one from them. 8 Years back, I bought my TIG from another offshore company (Longevity) and got a combo box that has a 175a TIG, and a 50A plasma cutter built-in for about 650.00. Again as I said, it has worked perfectly since then.
    Now that company has decided that they are better than LOTOS, and they are significantly higher than that for the now 200a tig/50a PC. LOTOs' current machine is right about what I paid back in 08 for the Longevity. Look at them both, they look identical but one is way more money than the other.
    Last edited by Mike1157; 02-18-2015 at 07:55 AM.

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

That is cool! I love these, look sharp
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1157 View Post
    Then if you are going to buy a TIG welder,(and since you were talking about fabricating stuff) let me recommend an offshore company.. LOTOs. I just bought my 175 a mig from that company, and you wont find a better deal than buying one from them. 8 Years back, I bought my TIG from another offshore company (Longevity) and got a combo box that has a 175a TIG, and a 50A plasma cutter built-in for about 650.00. Again as I said, it has worked perfectly since then.
    Now that company has decided that they are better than LOTOS, and they are significantly higher than that for the now 200a tig/50a PC. LOTOs' current machine is right about what I paid back in 08 for the Longevity. Look at them both, they look identical but one is way more money than the other.
    Thanks for the heads up! I'll keep that in mind and look into it. Did you fabricate with metal prior to buying these machines and have the machines helped you to do more?

Quote Originally Posted by SVTKID92 View Post
    This wagon is sexy, cant wait to see it done!
    Quote Originally Posted by 79mustangcobra View Post
    That is cool! I love these, look sharp
    Hopefully this spring the Daddywagon will be completed. Thank you for the compliments. I am anxious to get it done, but it's tough without a garage. I am a 1 man show on this which is kind of a point of pride for me. My daughter helped me tighten some bolts once when I couldn't reach both sides by myself. Like most of you I like where the project is going and i can't wait to get there!
    Here is the wish list: torsen, long rod 351 short block, electric exhaust cutouts, 2006 or later crown vic police wheels powder coated white with chrome trim rings and chrome center caps, and bodywork to get everything looking pristinely!
    What is actually is gonna happen is I will throw the 351 in as is, leave the current diff alone and just try to get this thing on the road.

What is actually is gonna happen is I will throw the 351 in as is, leave the current diff alone and just try to get this thing on the road.
    I approve. This is what I would do.

Do you think the Vic wheels are going to fit under the fenders? I know they wouldn't fit on mine.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

2006 and later. 7.5 inches wide and unique offset.

Mike1157

Thanks for the heads up! I'll keep that in mind and look into it. Did you fabricate with metal prior to buying these machines and have the machines helped you to do more?
    I believe that anybody that tries to build a car shouldn't be w/o a good MIG. The only place a TIG excells at above a MIG is welding tubing of the sort that comes when you attempt to build exhaust headers. As with everything, it takes practice, and it takes way less practice w/ a MIG to become relatively proficient. But having a TIG, and getting good enough to use it is one thing, but once you do, the opportunities to use it after that are countless. It is so precise that a it can weld the thinnest metal, and unlike a MIG, leaves very little clean up after (if you even chose to grind/clean the welds at all) Most of those Combo boxes I was talking about come w/ a TIG/Stick/ Plasma cutter option in the box. If I had it all to do over, I'd buy the all-in-one machines that ore out there and be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1157 View Post
    I believe that anybody that tries to build a car shouldn't be w/o a good MIG. The only place a TIG excells at above a MIG is welding tubing of the sort that comes when you attempt to build exhaust headers. As with everything, it takes practice, and it takes way less practice w/ a MIG to become relatively proficient. But having a TIG, and getting good enough to use it is one thing, but once you do, the opportunities to use it after that are countless. It is so precise that a it can weld the thinnest metal, and unlike a MIG, leaves very little clean up after (if you even chose to grind/clean the welds at all) Most of those Combo boxes I was talking about come w/ a TIG/Stick/ Plasma cutter option in the box. If I had it all to do over, I'd buy the all-in-one machines that ore out there and be done.
    Agreed. I feel like I can get the mig anytime. But if I buy a tig welder now and get proficient at it then I am maximizing my potential just by buying the tig welder.

I could've bought an engine. I could have built my longrod 351. I could've bought a lot of things. I don't make a lot of money. My collar is as blue as it gets. I am really excited about my new toy.

FEP Member

Think of all the new things you could complete or make with that beauty

Quote Originally Posted by 1320notch View Post
    Think of all the new things you could complete or make with that beauty
    Absolutely! On my list is subframe connectors, and whatever modification the exhaust requires, and the steel plate that I removed from the mustang that the airbox mounts to. That's just the Daddywagon. I also might fab up a trail-a-bike for my son. Fire pit for my brother. I am psyched.

By the way...here is the 255 LPH fuel pump that arrived last summer that I haven't done anything with.

I could've bought an engine. I could have built my longrod 351. I could've bought a lot of things. I don't make a lot of money. My collar is as blue as it gets. I am really excited about my new toy.
    OOOOOOOOHHHH.......shiny new toy! You are going to love that setup, especially with the fluid cooler, and that is a promise.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

I looked through your thread, but couldn't find an answer.... of course I could have just missed it....

Can you elaborate on the front suspension for me? What did the k - member come out of, etc. Thanks!
    '79 Fairmont Futura
    '79 Mercury Zephyr wagon
    '83 LTD Wagon - future Mustang "Sport" Wagon
    '84 Mercury Capri RS - 5.0 5spd
    Owner of Victory Engines and Machining, LLC
    g2G

It's a stock ford k-member out of an 86 mustang with a cobra brake conversion. So the control arms were upgraded for m-2300k brake kit.

Also tie rod ends were upgraded to accomodate lowering springs and correct geometry. Although I don't know how effective they are.

Sorry, I probably should have explained what I was trying to figure out. I was wondering about the width of the suspension up front. I'm trying to copy whatever you have done or at least have your pattern of what works that will clear the front fenders. So the control arms you are using are stock length for an '86 Mustang? And what spindles are you using for the five lug conversion and cobra brakes - '94- 95 i assume? Any spacers behind the wheels, etc. Finally what size tire are you running in the front? Thanks for taking your time to answer and help!
    '79 Fairmont Futura
    '79 Mercury Zephyr wagon
    g2G

Yeah. Stock length arms, sn95 spindles I believe came with cobra brake kit. No wheel spacers. 2005 offset wheels 17x8. I have a set of cobra r's with different offsets front to back. Once I find the time and money I'm gonna have the chrome stripped off and have them painted. The front track is stock foxbody I think but the rear track width is wider. 79-04 wheels sit further out and 05 and later wheels are offset in more. I think.

Thanks for sharing!

What size tires did you end up with on the front?
    '79 Fairmont Futura
    '79 Mercury Zephyr wagon
    g2G

245/45r17 all around. That's probably what I'll stick with.

Any updates?
    95 Taurus SHO MTX-Sold. 92 Capri XR2 1.6 Turbo-Sold. 86 Mustang GT 5.0-Sold. 01 Focus ZX3-Sold.16 Focus SE 1.0L Ecoboost 6 Speed Manual-Daily 1978 Ford Fairmont I6 - Family Cruiser

Well I have been stagnant on this thing. It is always on my mind and the guys at work always remind me that I should finish it but I can't find the time and money. Mostly the time because I got this far bargain hunting on craigs and such. I did pick up police car wheels for a sleeper look. They have a lot of backspacing and will require spacers up front. I also bought another 351 shortblock. The lightning motor I purchased originally has an issue with a front timing cover/water pump bolt hole so I bought another one. I pdipped one of the wheels then I ended up taking the dip off.

I can relate to the time and money thing, ugh. It'll get there though!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast