Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Cool! Keep us in the loop!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Been following this thread, cool stuff. Keep us posted!
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Well, working on wiring today, had some issues. The starter relays I had were bad. One didnt work and the other got stuck in start mode.....just kept turning the engine. Going to try and use the CFI coil. Having trouble figuring out a couple of the wires....start/run ignition stuff mainly. Im getting ready to torch the whole project.....literally. Anyway, more to come. May have fresh parts and new drive after Columbus.

I had a couple of hours to work on the POS last night.....yes, in the rain. After routing the fuel lines and hooking up the (simple) HEI 4 pin (previously) all I had to do was add plug wires and a battery. Thats right, it fired right up!! Open headers but it wasnt that loud. Choke worked and it was on high idle hitting on all cylinders.

Now the list of cleanup before I can put it in service.

• Jounce hoses
    • Fuel line and wiring clean up
    • Lokar TV cable
    • Exhaust
    • Tune engine properly

Progress will be swift as I have holiday time coming.
    Name:  20131115_143041.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  104.6 KB
    Name:  20131115_143033.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  115.5 KB

Good to hear!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    All of the AOD-capable Motorcraft 2150s I've seen were bolted onto 255s, and yeah, that carb will not
    flow as much as the '84 CFI throttle body, let alone the larger '85. I believe there was a larger 2150
    with the AOD TV link used on 302s in vans, but I've yet to see one.
    1981 full size LTD station wagons had this carb / 302/ AOD combo. My Dad had one for many years and that thing just wouldn't die. It was super slow but got 25+ mpg's on the highway. Light metallic brown in color with tan vinyl seats....a lovely combination. :-)

Found a large vacuum leak. Runs great now. Going to do the brakes and tune it today. Other than the Lokar cable and exhaust, it will be ready to go. Also picked up some mechanical gauges for it but where to mount.....

Sent from my SCH-I545

Got the Lokar cable hooked up for the trans. Changed the oil. Hooked up an oil pressure gauge and it actually has some. Tidied up under the hood too. It fires right up and idles well. I still need to hook up a heat riser tube for the choke, bleed the front brakes and have exhaust put on. Then its in service. Not sure if the gas gauge works, may be wiring as the sending unit is new. More to come. Might be posting burnout videos soon!!

Whats this?? Should have the title soon......

Name:  20140125_120727.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  138.3 KB

Cool thread, I wish mine was an LX...Any updates?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikethe80sFanatic View Post
    Cool thread, I wish mine was an LX...Any updates?
    No, still no title, stuck in red tape in PA. Its just sitting there. I just hope theres nothing living in it.

Ok guys, I have a runner with a plate. Still need exhaust. My local custom guy quoted me way high for a front Y and one side out the back. Im looking to piece something together and weld it up myself.

I have 85 GT headers on it. I know, I know but they were free. What Im looking for is a donor H pipe, with or without cats, I dont care. I'll adjust for the short header. Then also maybe a stock LH side muffler and tail. Later GT would be fine, dont want to waste a nice stainless tail in this piece of junk.

So anything you may have, prefer semi-local, that would help, let me know. Thanks.

All set on this POS. Start driving it today. Needs a wash and the inside fumigated. Going to be a change from being up high all the time. Drove it to the exhaust shop yesterday and couldn't see anything around all the trucks and mini vans. Oh well.

Glad to hear it! Post new pics!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Nothing really to see, its kind of embarrassing actually. I'll get some later though.

All seems to be working well. Needs tires, heater core restrictor, a sever cleaning, tinted windows and a paint job.....nothing serious.

It got serious today. Started running crappy. Seemed like it was pinging a bit, then got worse and whatever I do with the timing it still pings. may be a knock. Nothing at idle just under load. It was running a little warm the last couple of days too.

Do these engines have nylon timing gears? Im about sick of working on this scrap heap. ugh.....

They're not supposed to. When I opened mine up to change mine over to a double roller, I found out that it was a single roller (and fairly stretched too)

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk
    1985 Ford LTD LX. 4 eyes, 4 doors-cobra powered
    2006 Ford F-150 Ashley/Smith special edition--the "daily driver"
    1986 ford mustang SVO--a man can always dream right?

Ok. I didnt think so but running hot and suddenly going wonky thats the first thing that popped into my head. Had it happen to my wife years ago in a V8 Fairmont.

Im kind of thinking I may have broken a valve spring or rocker. This car did sit for an extended period so some of the springs were compressed and may have lost tension. I just hope I didnt bend a valve.

Anyway, updates to come.

Engine is toast. Couple dead cylinders. That's it for now.

Sent from RLS16.1

Bummer...
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Given the pinging, if the two dead cylinders are next to each other, I'm betting you blew out the head gasket
    fire ring between them.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    Given the pinging, if the two dead cylinders are next to each other, I'm betting you blew out the head gasket
    fire ring between them.
    Yeah, something went wrong, not going to spend the time to figure it out. I have an '86 GT motor showing up tomorrow. Going to do some other things while its apart. 4 bbl, Holley fuel pump.....may even wipe the bird **** off of it.

This thing might be for sale soon, keep an eye out.

Hmmmmm... I've got a 5.0L out of a '98 Mountaineer... hmmmmmmmm.........
    1985 Mercury Marquis LTS... "The Unicorn"
    1978 Fairmont... 306 and a C4.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast