Close

Default 84 GT EFI to carb

What would I need besides the intake manifold and carburator?

You need to do something with the ignition system. The distributor used in the CFI/SEFI engines
    has no capability to advance the timing without the ECU. And without the signals it needs from
    the rest of the system, the ECU can't do the job once you go carb. The good news is, you don't
    have to spend a bunch of money, 'cause Fords rarely ever need anything more than a factory
    distributor.

Probably your simplest option would be a regular Duraspark or old points distributor equipped with
    a Pertronix Ignitor module. Being's your '84 engine does not have a roller cam, pretty much any
    stock Ford distributor for a 289 or 302 will work, except for the '85 GT. That one has a steel gear
    that won't get along with your iron camshaft gear. Add a recurve kit and you're golden.

The main advantage to the Pertronix module is you get all the simplicity of just two wires from the
    coil to the distributor, without having some fugly GM HEI garbage sitting right up front and center
    every time you lift the hood. And a factory dual-snorkel air cleaner will still fit (but you'll need to get
    the base from a 4V car, or fab a spacer).

Or for a bit more work with the wiring, but less expense, you can use a new or boneyard Motorcraft
    blue-grommet Duraspark module. In addition to the wiring, the Duraspark option requires adding a
    ballast resistor inline with the coil, because the TFI-equipped Foxen don't have one in the harness.
    Last edited by JACook; 09-07-2013 at 01:56 PM.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

I am putting in a Fors Racing 345 hp 306 crate engine. I believe its a roller cam engine. Would thay change what I would need?

You will need the steel gear equipped distributor to go with the roller cam.

Yep. '85 GT HO 4V distributor is what you want.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

you keeping the Aod trans? I think there may be some issues if you swap to a carb

http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/cto/4042323969.html

"converted CFI to Holley 550, with the change over to the Holley The transmission does not shift properly. if you know anything about this change over I am told it is a linkage issue with the carb"
    Last edited by FM2NOTCH; 09-09-2013 at 12:03 AM.
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

Ah yes. Good catch. Ford did make some Motorcraft 2150 2V and 2700 VV carbs that worked with
    an AOD, but the older style Ford kickdown linkage will not work. OP will need the Lokar AOD TV
    cable kit. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lo...odht/overview/

Ignore that they call it a "kickdown" cable. It's not.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    Ah yes. Good catch. Ford did make some Motorcraft 2150 2V and 2700 VV carbs that worked with
    an AOD, but the older style Ford kickdown linkage will not work. OP will need the Lokar AOD TV
    cable kit. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lo...odht/overview/

Ignore that they call it a "kickdown" cable. It's not.
    on my 85 ford van 2 bbl carb, 302, Aod, it only has a rod, would something like that work on a cfi to carb conversion with the Aod?

had a small carb fire that evidently melted the plastic bushing on the rod, it wouldn't shift right afterwords.
    Last edited by FM2NOTCH; 09-09-2013 at 09:42 AM.

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

Yes, the AOD-compatible Motorcraft 2V carbs used a rod linkage, same as the CFI engines do.
    One of those carbs would bolt directly to a CFI intake manifold as well, and would fit the CFI
    dual snorkel air cleaner base. But... I'm not sure how many who do the conversion would be
    satisfied with a 2V carb that flows less than the CFI unit.

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it, something needs to be done about the fuel pressure.
    Normally, the in-tank pump is fine for the job, with the frame-mounted pump bypassed, but
    you'd still need a regulator, preferably a bypass-style. And some more wiring changes, to
    eliminate the fuel pump ballast resistor, and operate the fuel pump relay, 'cause the ECU
    won't do that anymore.

Or install the proper eccentric and open up the timing cover fuel pump mount to accept a
    mechanical pump.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

what about a intake and holley 600 with the kickdown lever? I guess the rod would need minor mods to make it work or to keep it in the same position as stock

The kickdown lever on a Holley cannot be made to work without basically fabricating a new one,
    and you'd likely end up spending more time than it's worth.

The lever needs to follow the throttle arm through it's entire range of travel, it needs to have the
    rod pivot located the right distance from the throttle shaft centerline, so it has the correct lever
    ratio, it needs to have the right fore/aft position, to match the length of the rod, and finally, it
    would need to have a reasonably fine-threaded adjustment screw.

The critical part would be getting the lever ratio right, 'cause it's not even close to what the Ford
    kickdown lever is. It's also not the same as the lever ratio used on the cable-style TV linkage.
    I won't say it's unpossible, but it's probably a bit beyond the capabilities of your average hobbyist.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

Does take a little figuring out to get the AOD to work correctly with the Holley four barrel carburetor. Kind of self learned on this one after buying a fox body LTD with a newly installed Carbureted 5.0 AOD. It shifted into third gear before you moved 20 feet. Having heard how terrible AOD's were I thought maybe this was Just the they were.I drove it this way for several months before deciding to try to fix it .The Lokar AOD Transmission kickdown cable kit Is the easiest way I found To use the AOD transmission with a carbureted engine.Technically it is a throttle pressure cable but this is the name Lokar gave it.The lokar kit is designed to work in the bottom or kickdown hole of a Holley carburetor. No geometry corrector is needed or should be used with this Kit. After much trial and error this is the way the transmission works best . Set it up so when the throttle is wide open the cable is pulled all the way out. This is the max setting for the AOD and this is what works best on my car. The minimum setting is wide-open and the cable 5/16" from pulled all the way out. Don't really think anyone would want to run the AOD and the minimum settings since it is set up a little mushy from the factory. In the max setting my AOD shifts great and I could not be happier with it .I could not find anything much about this on the Internet. Thought I'd share this that hopefully it will help someone else...Berry
    Last edited by 63futura289; 09-17-2013 at 12:50 AM.